A Few Questions About The HTPC I'm Building - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

A Few Questions About The HTPC I'm Building

i'm building a HTPC system right now, i've got everything i need except for my tuner card. i'm wondering what would the best tuner card be i want to record HD TV on to it with my bell HD.

My other question is that my motherboard has an optical audio port on it and my reciever has one too. i'm wondering if a montster optical audio cable will give me ALOT better audio then a no name 10 dollar cable.

Thanks,

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 04:02 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
AdamInc:

You cannot use any tuner card to record HDTV from your Bell Evu HD STB. You can use the tuner card to record OTA HD with an antenna if the tuner card is an ATSC Tuner. You can read up on that in the OTA Knowledge Base and FAQ.

Regarding Digital Optical Cables, please read the FAQ on Cables and Connections. All of these FAQs are in the Help pull-down menu on the blue bar near the top of the screen. In short, a more expensive optical audio cable will not give you better audio. Optical Cables are digital in nature, and digital means they either get to the source or they don't. An inexpensive cable will perform just as well as a more expensive cable. But most importantly, stay away from Mon$ter Cables. They are nothing but swindlers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 04:03 PM
Digital Sage

There are no tuner cards that will allow you to legally record HD from Bell onto your HTPC.

Any optical cable will do fine. No need to give Mon$ter more money.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Any Optical Cable. ok so no HD tuner card which Satellite Tuner Card works best..i've been looking at a few from Hauppage(SP?) they have the nexus and then a newer one.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 04:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamInc
which Satellite Tuner Card works best
There are no PCI (Or otherwise) cards that process BEV or Starchoice satellite signals (Legally and we do not discuss how to do things illegally at DHC). The best you will do is to install a Hauppauge or other brand tuner card and then plug the analog connections (Composite or S-Video) into it from the Sat box. On an HTPC you will not be terribly pleased with the visual performance. Especially if you are connecting it to a LCD/DLP/Plasma TV/monitor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in