USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 304 (permalink) Old 2006-12-11, 09:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes View Post
Does it have to be disconnected when upgrading to a newer driver/program combo?
The updater will remind you to unplug the unit before installing the driver update. Ryan told me that it didn't matter for the program update but you might as well plug it back in at that point.
What happened in my case was the program failed to load completely because the installer didn't quit the scheduler and remocon programs properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 304 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 10:30 AM

Hi Walter Dnes, Cyclism and jbracing24,
Yes, as the Setup instructions indicate, unplug your OnAir GT while upgrading the Driver. (While updating the Program, you can leave it connected.) The Driver installation tries to replace 'hdtvgt.sys' on your computer, and if the GT is connected, Windows won't allow the installer to replace the file.

Most of the time, if you do accidently leave the GT connected, Windows will prompt you to restart your computer so it can update the file. (To avoid a mandatory restart, unplug it first!)

Also, just FYI, I posted a new FAQ yesterday, which may be useful to some of you: Getting the best reception - Tips & Troubleshooting

Thanks!
- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/
post #93 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-02-26, 09:44 PM

Call me another HUGE HUGE fan of the OnAirGT USB box. I'm watching Heroes from WGRZ-HD right now and it runs incredibly well. I only have a Centrino Duo 1.6 Ghz machine with 512MB and it's completely smooth running at about 60% CPU usage.

I could go on and on about how good this little box is, but I know others have done that already.

For those who want another option to buy this thing, I ordered it from the US from CyberEStore. It cost me $185.29 US by way of paypal and another $13.70 CDN to the mailman since they let me ship via US/Canada Post. Got it in about a week.

post #94 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-03-01, 01:25 PM

Question Hauppauge HVR 950 tuning

Hi everyone,

I saw the note about the HVR 950 not doing QAM tuning, and started to wonder if this is why I'm not getting any digital channels?

I've basically got line of site to the Mt. Seymour towers from downtown Vancouver, and I can pick up 6 or 7 analogue stations, but nothing digital.

Anyone local using the HVR 950 to get digital signals? I'm not running a laptop, and I'm using a TERK HDTVi interior antenna. I'd like to review the software settings because I'm not certain I've got the software configured properly.

Thanks!
post #95 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-03-01, 01:42 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
montery:

Just to clarify, QAM is digital cable, ATSC is OTA digital. Read the instructions and make sure you are doing a scan for AIR - DIGITAL to pick up digital OTA channels.
post #96 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-03-01, 01:44 PM

Thank you awai_00 for your comments! Glad you enjoy your OnAir GT.

montery,
QAM only applies to 'Digital Cable'. All Over-the-air transmissions are '8VSB' standard. You may need a more powerful antenna, more sensitive tuner (OnAir GT), or adjust your settings. In the worst case scenario, you may not be in the right location (environmental issues) to get OTA digital.

- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/
post #97 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-03-04, 05:57 PM

LD now offering Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick TV tuner

This is another USB tuner with additional software such for timeshifting, transcoding etc.

List $149.98; try googling for some reviews. The issues I saw mentioned were: heat, audio synch, SD PQ.
post #98 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-03-15, 12:25 PM

Ryan

I've purchased the OnAir Creator. After patiently wait for 12 days. paid much with canadian taxes. I got a lemon unit. It will not power on, no matter what. What should I do? I am going out of town like right after I receive my product. I am out for entire 4 days. Is there anything I should do or I should exchange one from copperbox.com?

N418
post #99 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-04-11, 01:00 PM

I purchased Aeromax Digital USB 2.0 ATSC HDTV/ NTSC Analogue tuner that was described as new off of ebay. The seller said it works fine, and it does. I'm not exactly sure of the make, but I payed $80.00 and it's from Korea (supposedly a new model). I was wondering if anyone has any info on this or can give me any tips that are not mentioned in this thread? I live in Brampton, Canada and I only will use indoor antennas. The software I use is Presto! PVR that came packaged with it.

An image of it is here:
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7531/udtv11cd4.jpg

Last edited by sam91; 2007-04-11 at 01:08 PM.
post #100 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-05-04, 08:17 AM

Unhappy Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950 recording problem

Does anybody else have this item on their arsenal? I am having problem recording anything from FOX 29-1. The video is not in-sync with the audio. But every other channel that I record is okay. Watching tv is okay, but once I record it, it is not in-sync again. Anybody know what could be happening? Recorded House and 24, both of them not in-sync.
post #101 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-06-05, 05:53 PM

OnAirGT

I bought an OnairGT and am quite happy with the result, even with the little antenna I am able to get a couple of HD channels. The quality of the HD channel is very good. Captured at 1920 X 1080, the stills and video looked great.

Ryan at Autumnwave have been very helpful and patient with all my e-mail questions. I bought it from CopperBox and they are very good too.

I am now in search of a better antenna, still debating to go indoor or outdoor.

I am subscribed with Rogers with the 3250HD box on a 10 month trial.
They HD channels look good.

I plugged my Roger's cable into the OnAirGT TV and are disappointed with the DTV signal, the display tells my I am looking at 520X480 resolution. How come it is not 1920x1080? Am I missing something. I am new to OTA

I also considered the OnAir Creator since it has a Mpeg Hardware encoder, anyone have experience with the quality of the Mpeg hardware encoder compared the quality of the Software encoder of the GT which uses the Honestech software encoder?

Thanks,
Leo
post #102 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-06-05, 06:18 PM
Veteran

The OnAir will only provide 1080 through it's onboard OTA tuner, which is a very good tuner indeed. Capturing video from another source, Satellite/cable etc will only render at 480 since the connection is only by analog S-Vid or composite.
As far as an antenna, scroll through the OTA sections on this site for your area and see what everyone is experiencing.
post #103 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-06-06, 10:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo168 View Post
I plugged my Roger's cable into the OnAirGT TV and are disappointed with the DTV signal, the display tells my I am looking at 520X480 resolution. How come it is not 1920x1080? Am I missing something. I am new to OTA
You will NOT get HDTV from Rogers without buying/renting an "HDTV terminal" from them, and also paying a "digital services access fee". Ted Rogers did not get rich by giving stuff away free.

There isn't very much unencrypted, other than analogue basic and digital basic. The really desirable QAM (digital) channels are encrypted. For a list of what's NOT encrypted, see... http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/rogers.htm The actual digital channels may vary from city to city.

If you want to see what you can get on your system, plug in the cable, pull up the Autumnwave menu, and run a scan with ATV(C) and DTV(C) selected. That stands for "Analogue TV on Cable" and "Digital TV on Cable", respectively. I'd be interested to know what you get.
post #104 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-06-07, 02:11 AM

I get a lot of channels, too lazy to type them all out when I connect the cable into the GT(pretty much whatever package you are subscript to). I also try to connect the out from the 3250HD box to the GT, I don't get any channel when I scan the DTV channels but I get all the channels I would get if I switch to ATV and by using the 3250HD remote to switch channels with. The signal of the HD channel like HDnet shows a resolution of 720x480.
post #105 of 304 (permalink) Old 2007-09-03, 12:32 AM

WinTV-HVR-950 can work indoors?

Hi, guys, I just moved to East York, GTA. I want to buy a WinTV-HVR-950 USB NTSC/ATSC tuner to watch TV at home. I wonder if I can get digital signals indoors with the original atena coming with the tuner?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in