USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 304 (permalink) Old 2010-05-17, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Hi everybody,

Would anybody know if the WinTV-HVR-950Q (pn 1145) for Mac's and PC's also has the XC5000 tuner?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 304 (permalink) Old 2010-05-17, 07:21 PM
Veteran

Yes, it does. The hardware is exactly the same as the cheaper, non-mac version. Just the bundled software is different.
post #228 of 304 (permalink) Old 2010-07-30, 10:33 AM

I have an AutumnWave ONAIR GT usb tuner that has served me well for a couple of years. A few days ago the digital tuner failed. It just quit!

I tried to contact AutumnWave but their website no longer exists so I guess they are out of business.

Anyone else had this problem?

Is there a new contact for onair solutions, who I believe made this tuner?

Larry

post #229 of 304 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 08:28 AM

Another quick question....will the autummwave software work with any other tuners? I'm thinking of getting a 950Q.
post #230 of 304 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 07:42 PM
Veteran

950Q in a MAC?

Wow I had no idea... thanks for the heads up. A buddy of mine will be curious to try it out... I still think he would be better off to install Windows and use 7MC on that fancy MAC of his!

will it work with the eye software and will it be able to find a driver ok?
post #231 of 304 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 09:34 PM

Question about the 950Q usb tuner. In Windows 7 MC, can it be used as both an ATSC tuner and an NTSC tuner at the same time?

Lobo
post #232 of 304 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 10:03 PM
Veteran

I believe it does, just not if you select Canada as a region.
Unless that bug has since been fixed (it used to lock us to analog-only)
post #233 of 304 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 01:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77 View Post
I believe it does, just not if you select Canada as a region.
Unless that bug has since been fixed (it used to lock us to analog-only)
It still does sadly. We still need the hack dispute my efforts of leaving messages with Windows evangelist, and in MS forums about it. Grr!!!
post #234 of 304 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 01:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
Question about the 950Q usb tuner. In Windows 7 MC, can it be used as both an ATSC tuner and an NTSC tuner at the same time?

Lobo
Yes it does, confirmed. If you use the pnear hack setup the ATSC signal and then it asks if you want to setup another type then you can choose the NTSC.
post #235 of 304 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
Depends what you mean by at the same time. It is a single combined tuner so it can be used as both an ATSC and NTSC tuner, but while recording an ATSC program the NTSC tuner is busy and vice versa. This is a hardware limitation and has nothing to do with Windows.
post #236 of 304 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 01:06 PM

roger1818, yes I can see that while it is recording it can be busy for both types. Thanks.

I do happen to have 2 of these tuners in my MC7 and had to do the hack to allow me to get the U.S. stations and guide. Both are setup as ATSC. So if I were to set them up again, I could choose NTSC after and then be able to have both ATSC and NTSC channels?

Lobo
post #237 of 304 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Recommended USB Tuner

A little over a year ago, I put together a site with some of my basic DIY antenna builds. diytvantennas.com Now I would like to add some more detailed real-world performance information for these antennas. Also, I want to play with some other easy-to-build designs and be able to post performance numbers for these too.

Can you guys recommend a good USB digital tuner that:
* I can get for under say $100
* will be able to give me good quantitative signal strength scores. The TV that I own just shows a bar scale of signal strength.
* Windows only is okay, but it would be great if it worked well with Linux "out of the box"
* even better would be if I could run a script from the command line that would scan channels and print out a table of signal strengths

Thanks for your suggestions!
post #238 of 304 (permalink) Old 2012-01-26, 10:15 AM
Rookie

I have used a few cheap tuners from deal extreme before (around $30) and they worked pretty well. Just not sure if they work with linux. signal score & aibility to scan from command line depends on software so even if the software comes with tuner does not provide such functionality, you may still be able to find open source programs that can do just that.

Last edited by Jase88; 2012-01-26 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
post #239 of 304 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 11:12 AM
Veteran

USB Tuner in netbook/notebook

Will USB tuners work properly in a netbook OR notebook.

The only other thread discussing this, was diverted and unclear response.

For example the Hauppaugge 950Q. The requirements say it needs at least 2.5 Ghz processor, and a high graphics card, so I'm not sure.

I only need it for watching OTA antenna TV. NO RECORDING OR ANYTHING ELSE

Thanks

(On a side note, I never did get it to work on my good laptop, Hauppauge could NOT resolve the issue after 1 month of working on it...they thought it was some sort of incompatibility issue with the software and .dll files on the computer, but even after I reinstalled Windows, they couldnt explain it! And the lap top is 1 yr old.)
post #240 of 304 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 11:18 AM
Veteran

signal data

Niverde,

I & many others would like to find signal quality data software also, but so far the only software I heard of is TSReader and it may not be compatible with all hardware - you check their website for requirements...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in