Blackmagic Intensity HDMI Capture Card - PCIe - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Blackmagic Intensity HDMI Capture Card - PCIe

Capture better quality video from your HDMI output...

Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 09:00 AM

What an annoying link. Ads galore via roll-over hot words. For those who don't want to suffer here is the 15 second version.

Quote:
Intensity is an incredibly small HDMI capture and playback card that instantly switches between 1080HD, 720HD, NTSC and PAL video standards. Once Intensity is plugged into compatible PCI Express Windows or Mac OS X computers, users get the amazing quality of uncompressed video via HDMI from cameras, decks and set top boxes, enabling them to playback to any HDMI big screen television or video projector for video editing, in SD or HD, and with real time effects.
No mention of HDCP but I assume it would respect the handshake. And uncompressed video over HDMI is how many Gbps? Good luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 09:39 AM

That looks like a PCIe x 4 card, which would give it a bucketload of bandwidth.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 10:47 AM

Anybody know if this card will be able to receive the video from the Rogers HD Tuner (PVR or Non-PVR) via the HDMI cable?

I would consider getting the card (which would mean a new motherboard, so probably a new PC dedicated to recording) and hooking it up to the Rogers HD receiver which currently to my knowledge can not be captured from.

Would you need to run this into some sort of software MPEG2 encoding in order to record it? Anybody ever use the software that comes with the card before?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 10:52 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
Anybody ever use the software that comes with the card before?
Never heard of it before, but it seems from the web site's text that it stores/edits/outputs in a proprietary format.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 11:03 AM

MPAA should have a field day with this!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Rogers HD Tuner
Not a chance. This is designed for non-protected video content. For example video cameras or video decks that have HDMI outputs. What I can't figure out at this moment is that most devices store the material in some sort of compressed format. You would need a device that does not compress the capture. Unless you are streaming live from an HD camera I can't see the need for it.

This is could be a 7.4 Gbit/s (925 MByte/s) or 10.2 Gbit/s (1275 MByte/s) data stream. Sixty minutes uncompressed would occupy: 3.33TBytes or 4.59TBytes. Yes that is Terabytes. I must be mssing something.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-03-14, 07:22 PM

New HDMI Capture Card

Anybody have any experience with this card? http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

It will capture HDMI, but not HDCP signals. Would this be another alternative to capture signals from my DCT than by using the Firewire cable? If so is there any benefit or would I be better off saving the $250(US)? I do not currently have an HDMI camera but am considering getting one in the near future.

Thanks!

Regards,
Dan the HDTV Man
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-03-14, 10:04 PM
Veteran

It appears that this wouldn't work so well as a TV capture card as you would need huge hard drives as it is uncompressed HD coming over HDMI. One estimate that I have seen is 400 GB/hr for 720p and 800 GB/hr for 1080i.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-03-14, 11:58 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Recent posts moved into this existing thread. Please read from post 1...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-03-15, 01:38 AM

Buried in the specs is this disclaimer.

Quote:
The HDMI standard can include copy protected encryption, such as DVD players. The Intensity card therefore will NOT capture from copy protected HDMI sources.
So you can forget about capturing video from set top boxes, HD DVD or any other copy protected source.

As for camcorders, the video is already in a digital format, e.g. AVI (tape) or MPEG (DVD/HDD). You don't need to "capture" so much as transfer the recorded data from your camera to your computer. You certainly don't need video capture if HDMI is being used only as a high speed data link, like USB 2, FireWire or eSATA.

I think they make it pretty clear that this is a professional/prosumer device for editing or mixing uncompressed video feeds from HD cameras in real-time or post production.

Last edited by Michael DeAbreu; 2007-03-15 at 01:54 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-03-15, 06:04 PM

Thanks for moving 57. I did do a search for "black magic" but nothing came up.

Well, I guess this won't work that well. I will continue to use Firewire for my transfers over to the computer.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Dan the HDTV Man
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 07:04 PM

It appears that the posts here are pretty old and people are mostly discussing HDMI capture, which can easily be encrypted. From what I saw on a few web pages, this card has also component video in, which should allow capturing of pretty much anything.

Link

What do you guys think?

P.S. Administrators, please remove my previous message (just one above this), because it does not make too much sense now (somebody merged my two messages).

BTW, why can't I edit my own messages?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 07:14 PM

Earlier post deleted as requested. You can edit for up to 1 hour.

Last edited by 57; 2008-03-24 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added Edit.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in