All About Building An HTPC (MoBo, CPU, Cards, Other Gear, Software) - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #331 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 05:19 PM
Rookie

Q: I totally agree with you. I'd really prefer to have a silver drive. In fact this is one of the reasons I didn't buy a DVD or blue-ray drive yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I am still out on whether I dislike the black drive in my NSK2400. It is FAR better looking than a beige drive and with the black on the rest of the case, it sorta blends. Sorta.

The case that we all need to be the most hyped up for is the upcoming Antec Fusion MAX.
post #333 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 08:18 PM
Rookie

I forgot to ask what media center software seems the best?

Thanks!

post #334 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

For a total media solution, the generally best choices are Windows Media center (In Vista and MCE 2005), SageTV and MythTV. Other choices include GBPVR, Beyond TV and Mediaportal.

My personal opinion from using SageTV, MythTV, Media Center and Beyond TV is that SageTV offers the best overall solution that is also the only one that has compatability for Mac, Windows and Linux. It is also the only one that has a full lineup of media extender devices so you do not have to install a full PC at each TV.

SageTV is what I use in my house. It is installed as 1 server and 2 client PCs. I use Microsoft Media Center remotes at all PCs to maintain a homogeneous user experience. Nearly 2 TB of media content is managed by the Sage server.
post #335 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I should note that Beyond TV is not a media solution but a TV/PVR only solution.
post #336 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 02:18 PM
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
I should note that Beyond TV is not a media solution but a TV/PVR only solution.
Not really true. Beyond TV is only a PVR solution but Snapstream does also sell Beyond Media.

There has been a lot of complaints about this and I think when BTV5 gets released it will be a AIO solution.
post #337 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Not really true. Beyond TV is only a PVR solution but SnapStream does also sell Beyond Media.
Hence exactly why Beyond TV is NOT a Media solution. Beyond Media is a totally separate product that is nearly an abandoned child of SnapStream. It has been without major updates and improvements for a very long time.

The question was not "What combination of software creates a Media Center Software". The two products from SnapStream don not, on their own, constitute a Media Center Solution. And although the media content other than TV is very important, TV is very typically the more important and sought after. Hence why I only mentioned Beyond TV and pointed out its flaw.
post #338 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 04:32 PM
Q
Veteran

Fair enough.

I personally believe whenever 5.0 comes out it will be a full media solution.
post #339 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 04:35 PM

Megab,
I see the CPU you chose is 45W. Will you be able to make the PC fanless? I was picking parts for an HTPC last fall and liked the thought of the AMD BE-2350. I read several articles that it wouldn't need a fan though I couldn't get a clear indication how it would handle 1080i using onboard GF630 or ATI690g graphics. It seemed to be boarder line but the extra horsepower in the CPU you suggest should do the trick if no fan is needed.
post #340 of 340 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 10:21 AM
Rookie

random: The pc is not fanless. I kept all the stock fan and it's very quiet as it is. I can watch a movie wihout noticing the pc is running. It runs always under 40C .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in