Serving DVD's from PC to HT remotely? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 08:13 PM

I'll confirm that a 100 MB Ethernet LAN using CAT5 cable works just fine for streaming DVDs. I use Daemon Tools on the client to create a virtual drive for the ISO image sitting on my media centre.

However, my network throughput for a simple file copy usually hovers around 80 MB/sec. So I doubt wireless will reach its maximum rated troughput of 54 MB/sec. Down the road I expect I'll have to switch to Gigabit Ethernet for HD sources. I doubt wireless will keep up. Of course, I'm just justifying hacking holes into my drywall back when I previously predicted that wireless would never match wired!

1 terabyte of storage? Wow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeAbreu
I'll confirm that a 100 MB Ethernet LAN using CAT5 cable works just fine for streaming DVDs. I use Daemon Tools on the client to create a virtual drive for the ISO image sitting on my media centre.

However, my network throughput for a simple file copy usually hovers around 80 MB/sec. So I doubt wireless will reach its maximum rated troughput of 54 MB/sec. Down the road I expect I'll have to switch to Gigabit Ethernet for HD sources. I doubt wireless will keep up. Of course, I'm just justifying hacking holes into my drywall back when I previously predicted that wireless would never match wired!
Who said anything about copying ? I thought we were discussing playback off the network share... HD content in MPEG4 form requires ~ 8Mbit/s bandwith (for 1280x720p content), so wireless should be OK for that too.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 05:15 AM

Is serving an actual DVD allowed now?

When I looked into this several yrs ago, the copy protection/encryption prevented you from putting an actual physical DVD into a drive, then using it elsewhere on the network

Once the retail DVD has been massaged with DVDDecrytper (or equivalent), then no problem, but that requires either storing iamge files on the server, or reburning with something like ImgBurn or DVDShrink

Having AnyDVD on the server computer may allow sharing, as it "fools" the OS into thinking the DVD is unencrypted and unprotected

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 04:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by testikoff
In all reality DVD playback should require no more than 10Mbit/s (1.2MB/s), so using 802.11g wireless (54Mbit/s) on HTPC should be more than sufficient IMO. MPEG4 playback will require even less bandwidth.
Theoretically this is true but practically your mileage may vary. I have tested the actual throughput of my 802.11g wireless network and found that even though it said I was connected at 54Mbps the actual throughput was substantially less than half that (measured both by bytes transferred per second and watching the networking display in Windows Task manager). Maybe I have a lot of interference in my house so my results may not be typical but I would be wary about using wireless for streaming video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in