HTPC Built With 'Old' Technology - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 06:11 PM

Just checked the ATI site to update to 5.12 and they already have 5.13 ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks dog I used .13... ta.

simplicity is genius...
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilJP
The video card has little to do with HD and upscaling. Those tasks rely on CPU power - especially any processing (denoise, sharpen, etc) that must be done before upscaling.

Either card are available with fanless heatsink designs for optimal sound performance.
I still can't play 1080p WM-HD clips with my XP1600, so you are correct. 720p's will play, but the colours are wrong (I think I need a codec). The 720's worked fine with my old AIW.

Can the fanless heatsink be purchased separately? She has a faint whine.

simplicity is genius...

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filper
I still can't play 1080p WM-HD clips with my XP1600, so you are correct. 720p's will play, but the colours are wrong (I think I need a codec). The 720's worked fine with my old AIW.

Can the fanless heatsink be purchased separately? She has a faint whine.
A fanless heatsink is basically just a big chunk of finned metal. You can make your own from spare parts but I don't think they sell GPU-specific fanless heatsinks separately. It also depends what video card you have, some can be run fanless, ohers should not.

Fortunately, you can get very efficient and quiet thermal solutions for your video card such as the Zalman VF700CU (compatible with MANY video cards) or card-specific solutions like Arctic Cooling ATI/Nvidia silencers. I have the VF700 in my HTPC and it's completly inaudible. The only difference between the two heatsink/fans I've mentioned is that the VF700 cycles internal case air whereas the AC Silencer will exhaust hot air outside of your case (at a lower inaudible noise level). Both will run you about $40CAD + tax and require the sacrifice of an adjacent PCI slot.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 02:19 PM

the ati/sapfire 9200's have a fanless heatsink, no noise! they are incredibly cheap and come with vga, dvi and s-video connectors.

another consideration is rivatuner - this program allows you to change the speed of the fan, all the way down to 25%. of course not all cards are supported but it's free and may do the trick for you.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

This Remote Wonder sure is handy.

simplicity is genius...
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-25, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roop
the ati/sapfire 9200's have a fanless heatsink, no noise! they are incredibly cheap and come with vga, dvi and s-video connectors.

another consideration is rivatuner - this program allows you to change the speed of the fan, all the way down to 25%. of course not all cards are supported but it's free and may do the trick for you.
I think the OP has already settled on a 9800P. Rivatuner is quite ancient and doesn't support PWM fan control as found on the 9xxx cards. And you should definitely not run a hot card like a 9800P without an adequate fan, that's just asking for dangerous heat buildup that can damage your core as well as the memory.

I would even go so far as put ramsinks on the RAM chips (and I have). The VF700 I mentioned earlier has an excellent wingspan that will cool the RAM chips if you have them sinked.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-29, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

A slight change of thought... I'm gonna go with an AMD 64 3200 for $200 on this board http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...78&modelmenu=1

Total is about $100 more, but Socket 959.

simplicity is genius...
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 2005-12-29, 02:49 PM

I would really stay away from that board if I were you. VIA chipsets are nothing but headaches. Get an NF4 chipset and you're golden.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 04:26 AM

FYI: I have a P4 3.0 and the 6600GT and they eat the 1080p WMV clips for breakfast rarely dropping even a few frames.

Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, 3 FibreOp 2.0 HDTV receivers, Draper 120 inch screen, HD Media PC i7 920, ATI 4800 Radeon.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone know if the remote for the AIW Radeon 9800 Pro can be programmed to turn the PC on without a keyboard or mouse ?
You can turn the power off on PCs? Why would you want to, but shhhh - don't tell my wife!
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 04:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilJP
A fanless heatsink is basically just a big chunk of finned metal. You can make your own from spare parts but I don't think they sell GPU-specific fanless heatsinks separately.
Sure they sell such heatsinks - there are several on this page from Bigfoot which is based in Toronto http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merc...tegory_Code=71
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Sure they sell such heatsinks - there are several on this page from Bigfoot which is based in Toronto http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merc...tegory_Code=71
I've heard good things about the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer and I think I might go with it (if my local 'tube shop' can get one).

simplicity is genius...
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I've heard good things about the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer and I think I might go with it (if my local 'tube shop' can get one).
If they can't get it you could go to Bigfoot - they are located on Dundas St. in the west end of Toronto (or even Etobicoke) so it's not too far for you.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 07:01 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in