New Gigabyte HTPC motherboard - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-19, 12:29 PM

You realize that TVs need to be separately calibrated for different source equipment, right? A properly configured system would use different TV modes for different inputs. My TV is ISF calibrated for my DVD player on "Theatre" mode, and for my SA8300HD on "Standard" mode. You might need a different mode on your TV for the HTPC in order to accomodate completely different TV settings when viewing a signal from the PC.

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-19, 04:05 PM

yes, I do realize that, but as I said, when I fooled around with doing that, it simply looks overdriven. This is what happens with an inadequate input signal, e.g., the voltage is too low.
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 11:45 AM

If the voltage is low you're going to be hard up to fix this issue. If the consumer menu on the TV is just not adjusting to fix the picture enough, perhaps there is a possibility that you could get this somewhat corrected by having the service menu settings changed, but I would be weary of that if all your other input devices look good. The service menu may allow adjustment of just the one TV mode you'd be using for the HTPC, but you'd have to check into that for your TV.

Other than that suggestion I would say it's time to change the video card in your HTPC.

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyboy
Other than that suggestion I would say it's time to change the video card in your HTPC.
If I recall, this motherboard has integrated graphics, which was one of its attractions.
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 12:16 PM

I apologize... I completely forgot what thread I was posting in. Obviously yes - if the video is built into this motherboard it defeats the purpose of getting an add-on video card to replace it. I would however be curious to know if different results would be seen with a different video card, all other variables remaining the same.

Has anyone else had any video issues with their TVs when using this board? If the video output from this motherboard was consistently low quality, or dark, or anything along those lines, that would be enough reason for me to not pursue this board, even with all it's other merits.

post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 02:42 PM

There is a slot for a PCI-E video card. But the onboard graphics system is based on the nVidia 6200, which ought to be good enough for home theatre.
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown6412
[url]Here's my shopping list/pre purchase
GA-k8n51pcmt-9 motherboard
Thermaltake Tenor case
Amd x2 3800
1 gig of 4200 OCZ ram
4x250 gig sata drives raid 5 =750gig storage
16x dvr/w
AVerMedia 150 tuner
Antec Phantom 500 psu
media center 2005
Microsoft media center wireless keyboard
Ctown is there any reason why put so much hard drive in the HTPC rather than in a server on your LAN? Doesn't this cause heat and/or noise issues? Are you pleased with the quietness of your HTPC? Is there anything you would change if you were to start over?

Does Gigabyte make a similar MoBo for other types of CPUs such as Intel?

Last edited by Wayne; 2006-01-21 at 11:25 PM.
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 08:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Does Gigabyte make a similar MoBo for other types of CPUs such as Intel?
Not right now. They are limited by the fact that Nvidia is still working the performance bugs out of their Intel NForce series.
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Is there a version of this mobo with more PCI slots? Only having two slots may not be enough - I would prefer several more.
post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Is there a version of this mobo with more PCI slots? Only having two slots may not be enough - I would prefer several more.
Not that Im aware of but new boards come out everyday it seems. I have found no need for more than 2 pic slots in any of my computers yet. keep in mind it does have 2 pcie slots as well.

As for your question on the amount of storage. I feel that any true htpc you will NEED as much storage space as possible! I store all my dvd's to harddrive in an uncompressed format so that takes up about 6gigs each(right not to archive my entire collection i need just under 2 terrabytes but im not doing the full collection untill 500 gig drive drop in price more), then all my music that I rip to the hard drive takes up about 200 gigs. And then we get into recording tv shows I leave aobut 200 gigs for this. Family photos take up about 100 gigs now i think as well.
I know i could do all of it with much less storage space if I compressed my movies but with a 100" screen I want the maximum quality possible.

And your other question about noise and heat. With 6 hard drives in my current case the noise is actually pretty minimal as they dont all spin at the same time ande if you format your drives with an approprite block size you can really limit the amount of hard drive activity time. I would like to replace the original factory rear case fans on the silverstone case with quiter ones. And the heat I have not found to be an issue with all the fans that I have.
120mm ps fan,120mm cpu fan, 2 60mm rear and 2 90mm front intake fans.
All the fans are really quite with the exception of the 2 60mm fans with i do want to replace.

Hope that covers your questions

TBD yet again :)
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
As for your question on the amount of storage. I feel that any true htpc you will NEED as much storage space as possible! I store all my dvd's to harddrive in an uncompressed format so that takes up about 6gigs each(right not to archive my entire collection i need just under 2 terrabytes but im not doing the full collection untill 500 gig drive drop in price more), then all my music that I rip to the hard drive takes up about 200 gigs. And then we get into recording tv shows I leave aobut 200 gigs for this. Family photos take up about 100 gigs now i think as well.
I know i could do all of it with much less storage space if I compressed my movies but with a 100" screen I want the maximum quality possible.
I agree you need as much storage as possible, I have well over 1 TeraByte on my LAN including TiVos, but why is it necessary to have them in the HTPC? Why not put all of the storage in a PC set up as a media server that you can hide away someplace like your basement? Do you prefer having everything on the one PC for some reason?
post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Not that Im aware of but new boards come out everyday it seems. I have found no need for more than 2 pic slots in any of my computers yet. keep in mind it does have 2 pcie slots as well.
I could easily see using up two slots with an HD tuner card and an SD tuner card. However that will not be required in the future if we get cards that can tune in digital cable via CableCard.
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-02-27, 11:57 AM

This is a follow-up to my earlier post complaining of a "dim" picture from the component outputs of this motherboard...

So after weeks of trying to tweak the various settings, trying older and beta versions of the nVidia drivers, etc., I gave up and decided to try a video card. I bought an nVidia 6600GT based card. It's like someone turned a light-switch on. The difference in output levels is huge. In terms of "vibrance" (for lack of a better word), the HTPC now far exceeds either of my two DVD players (Sony DVP-S7000 and Pioneer DV-563A), and the HTPC is now producing a fantastic picture.

It is probably worth noting that during my many hours of trying to resolve the issue, I did find out that the output levels of the motherboard video are fine until any version of the nVidia drivers are installed. With just the Win XP VGA drivers installed, vibrance is fine (albeit at 640x480). As soon as the drivers are installed, the output level drops considerably (even at 640x480). To me, the problem is how the drivers are interacting with this motherboards implementation of the 6150 chipset.

Fozzy
post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-02-27, 12:47 PM

Just a note. I was having problems with skipping/studdering with analog TV. My friend's system with the same gigabyte MB was having the issues as well. Mine was about 100x worse.

I updated the bios to F2, and it solved my problems. Now, I get skipping/studdering the same as my friend. He swapped out his Aver1500MCE analog tuner card with a Hauppauge PVR150 and all his skipping/studdering went away.

I'm thinking of getting a Theater 550 Pro to replace my Aver1500MCE. Funny thing is, the Aver tuner worked very smooth in my other older machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in