New Member HTPC Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-02-21, 05:36 PM

Stock HTPC?

I'm a complete noobie to this HTPC stuff. I'm really just looking to buy a new laptop and my husband wants to be able to use it to record TV and burn DVDs.

Is this possible? can i just buy a stock laptop and then external PVR?

My TV is the Sony SXRD and we have Starchoice Satellite in BC.

Thanks in advance if you can help me out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-05, 02:10 PM

I have a athlon 64 3700+ chip with 1 gig of ram
I want to beable to have something that is MCE complient or beyond tv(whatever)....
I want to have PVR capabilities,, and preferably be able to recorde one ch and watch another...(if its possible.. if not its no biggie...)

but most of all... I would want a card that will get tv or a video input,,,,(with sound) and not hog my cpu so I can be pvr-ing and useing the pc to surf and stuff like that.. and to beable to burn it to DVD,,,

you guys get what I mean??

I am looking at the hauppage pvr150??? would this be the card to get?
remotes are not that important..as I have the MCE remote already(ebay)
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-05, 02:57 PM
RRH

Its a Good card Elantra probably one of the most used because of availability,
I use the 150 MCE with the tuner and don't have any complaints.
Picture Quality is very driver dependent with it though.
Here's a link to the unoficial forum for the Hauppagge line of cards.http://www.shspvr.com/smf/

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-05, 05:45 PM

HTPC for Recording HDTV?

Currently I have a Rogers PVR, but I will be purchasing a HDTV soon and as such have been thinking of renting a Rogers HD PVR, however I have also been considering a HTPC but I was hoping for some suggestions as to how I would be able to record HDTV with my media centre pc?

As I see it, the signal has to come from the outlet to the STB from Rogers to descramble the signal, which is fine, I just rent a HD terminal. However, how can I get the HD signal from the Rogers Terminal to my HTPC so I can record it in High Def for viewing in HD later when I have time to watch it?

I can go from my HTPC to my HDTV for viewing, just can't figure out the middle part. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance...
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-05, 06:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This issue has been covered many times. You cannot do what you want with Rogers/SA in Ontario. The only way to get an HD signal from the STB to the HTPC is via firewire, however, firewire is not activated on any of the Rogers SA STBs. See the Digital Home FAQ "Recording HD".

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-06, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
This issue has been covered many times. You cannot do what you want with Rogers/SA in Ontario. The only way to get an HD signal from the STB to the HTPC is via firewire, however, firewire is not activated on any of the Rogers SA STBs. See the Digital Home FAQ "Recording HD".
Can it be done with other providers, like Bell, Star Choice, etc.?
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-06, 10:09 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you read the FAQ, you'll see that it can't without modifying the STB (for BEV) and I don't think it's possible for *C, no firewire.

The only ones that work in Canada are Motorola Cable boxes, used by Shaw out west and Rogers in Atlantic Canada, so with you in Ottawa, you're SOL. You'll need to use the SA8X00HD from Rogers.

OTA also works, but I don't think you have much access to OTA in Ottawa.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-06, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
If you read the FAQ, you'll see that it can't without modifying the STB (for BEV) and I don't think it's possible for *C, no firewire.

The only ones that work in Canada are Motorola Cable boxes, used by Shaw out west and Rogers in Atlantic Canada, so with you in Ottawa, you're SOL. You'll need to use the SA8X00HD from Rogers.

OTA also works, but I don't think you have much access to OTA in Ottawa.
Thanks 57.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-24, 07:20 PM

Total Newbie Questions about HTPC-PVR

Hey I just want to know, If I have a Basic Motoralla DTC 2224 from Shaw in Alberta, are all channels digital? if that is so, then from what I can tell by searching, I cant do a PVR on my computer. Or are just some channels digital, and others analog. I just want to record channels 3 to like 44 on my computers Hard Drive. I just got the box, from my parents who got the Shaw Box PVR. So I got everything But when my free trial runs out, I will go back to my 3 tier setup I had before I got the box. And only really use channels 3 to 44, and not the music channels, much less anything over ch82. I think channels 300+ are HDTV.

Also what WinTV PVR do you suggest, I think I would want one that comes with a remote like a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350. But it says that it only uses TitanTV.com for USA. I need one for Canada, so what do I need to subscribe to to get my local channels, on my TV-PVR card?

Does the subscribtion, or WinTV-PVR program eliminate the commercials?

Finally how do I output my computers sound to my sorround sound setup? and can I switch it from that back to my computers speakers.

Do I need 802.11b?

This is my computer sys, AMD Athlon 1Ghz cpu, Asus A7V266 motherboard, 750mb pc2100 cas2.5 micron DDRSDRAM, Rage Fury 128 Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro Video Card, Creative Labs Soundblaster PCI 64. I got no problems upgrading my cpu, or even motherboard. I know I need XP Pro to get anything over 160GB HD, but I use Windows 2000 Pro with 300GB HDslave + 60GB HDmaster.

Thank You

from the newbie

Marki

Last edited by marki; 2006-04-24 at 07:57 PM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-24, 09:24 PM

Marki just a few questions huh.

1."I just want to record channels 3 to like 44 on my computers Hard Drive"
Yes these are all analoge channels and therefor you only require a tuner card for your computer and not the external cable box.
2. I use an avermedia m150 card and it works fairly well, the hauppage ones are much better! As for channel guides hopefully someone else can help you out as I use the built in guide in xp media center 2005.
3.No to elimating commercials but I recall reading that it is possible to set up a commercial skip. YOu could pre program a 30 second skip to a button on your remote this is what I have done for my real pvr and it works GREAT.
4."Do I need 802.11b" No unless you need networking to the computer and you cnat hardwire it. Hardwire is always the best choice if possible as its much more reliable and faster.
5.Your computer set up should work fine for tv pvring. Once you get into hd then you need much more power.

I tried to be as brief and to the point as possible, if you still have questions fire away, theres loads of people here willing to help out.

TBD yet again :)
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-25, 02:19 PM

Thanks ctown6412

Just a few questions indeed. That helped out alot with my confusion. My computer is in my spare bedroom about 20' from living room with its 43" Panasonic Wide Screen HDTV LCD Projection, and a Pioneer DVD/CD DVR-233 which is their DVDRW. Depending on the price of 802.11 I could hard-wire it, going under carpet.

I finally found what channels are analog and digital on Shaw.
Select location from here...
https://secure.shaw.ca/channels/chli...on=newlocation

Last question(s) - How do I hook this system up? I got my PVR computer card. Best I can figure is going into my Pioneer DVDRW, or shaw box. But the only thing with R-L Audio, Video, S-Video INPUT and OUTPUT is my Pioneer DVDRW. I hook up from Computer's PVR(input) to my DVDRW's(output), and Computer's(output) to my DVDRW's(input).

I get what R-L audio is, but what the heck is Video and S-Video. I assume I only use the better quality S-Video, rather then Video connections.

Hmmmmm But PVR has no inputs only outputs, Video Card has S-Video and Video inputs but I cant see no audio inputs. So I guess I go from DVDRW(ouput) to Video Card(input) then PVR(output) to DVDRW(input) ----> I will try it that way.

Thats about it for Questions

Thanks Again and take care

Marki

Last edited by marki; 2006-04-25 at 02:34 PM.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-25, 03:07 PM

Mark, i think you might have missed the point of having a tuner card. It makes your computer the PVR.
To hook up just output your video from the computer to your tv or receiver depending on your setup. The optimum order for video connection would be the following
dvi
vga
component video
s-video
composite video

You will need to either try the NEWEST drivers for your video card or get a program called power stripe to set your video setting for optimal picture quality

Check your pm as well

TBD yet again :)
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-04-28, 09:37 AM

Another long looong one :)

Ok thanks ctown6412

This site has cleared up many nagging questions I've had.

I have tried looking into a wireless cable system from computer to TV. No luck, cables are just $75, will be doing S-Video + 2 Audio. I will be buying the Power Strip 3.6.

When the PVR card says under system requirements that it needs Pentium® II processor 600MHz or faster for TV pause with full screen playback. Does this mean I need a Pentium, or will my AMD Athlon 1GHz do? Because another PVR Card says "Intel® Pentium® 4 or Celeron®, AMD Athlon® or Sempron® (or compatible)" under system requirements. Ya ya I know, another newbie question; but my brains about to explode on information overload here.

Also in the works, Norton Ghost my brothers computer to get Windows XP Pro, to bypass the W2K 150GB limit. Best thing I can think of is do a "Copy One Drive to Another" Then I will most likely get Windows XP registration problems. But I've searched, and found I could do a phone in registration. Tell em my motherboard crashed.

Then the final stake in my coffin. Tell me if I am absolutely nuts here, cuz I might go insane on this idea. I got one computer. Do not want to build another computer from scratch, too much $. How do I split one computer and make it into 2 work stations? Hence, my living rooms TV working seperatly, with its own keyboard/mouse all hooked up back to my office's computer. Plus my office's LCD monitor, keyboard/mouse working seperatly but connected to SAME computer. Essentially dont want to have TV and LCD viewing same thing. But work as 2 workstations (2 seperate computers). Tell me the truth if I smoked too much weed on this idea. I can do it with 2 seprate computers, no biggie. On wireless linksys router.

Thanks for all your help

Have a great day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in