Chromecast Discussions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-20, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Chromecast Discussions

Just bought a $45 dollar google chromecast devce (not the ultra model)

so far it works good with youtube and other apps. But there are issues with the TSN app

i tried streaming a cfl game yesterday. It was ok but not great, a little choppy. Just wanted to know what i could do to improve the live stream?

My modem and wifi is super old (15 years), and i was thinking of buying new equipment. Would that make a difference?

What if i would have bought the Ultra model instead, would that be better for sports?

Does that phone device that i'm casting from make a difference? I'm using a MOTO E4.

thanks for all your help in advance and please note i'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to stuff like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-20, 09:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My modem and wifi is super old (15 years), and i was thinking of buying new equipment. Would that make a difference?
Yes. It's likely that the wifi is very slow compared to recent models. It's probably also very insecure. There have been significant improvements to wifi modems in the last 15 years. I suggest you get a new modem that supports 5GHz and AC, at least an AC1750 model.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-21, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice

more information and opinions are welcome

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-21, 05:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What if i would have bought the Ultra model instead, would that be better for sports?
Only if you have a 4K TV. It's possible that TSN is the source of the issues.

Quote:
Does that phone device that i'm casting from make a difference? I'm using a MOTO E4.
Not with a Chromecast in direct streaming (from the source) mode. For apps that mirror the screen, like Miracast and a few others, it might make a difference.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Just found out that my modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB 5102 with a data transfer rate of 30 MB/S and download speeds of 10/100 mbps

my wireless has 2.4 GHz, 54 MPBS, and, 802.11G

kinda old to stream live sports huh?
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 08:54 PM
Veteran

Maximum throughput with 802.11G is going to be about 25Mbps under ideal conditions. Conditions are rarely ideal.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 03:56 AM

kind of surprised that you are even able to use a modem that old but your internet provider might be able to give you a new one that is also a router which would work better then the one you have now
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 02:11 PM
Veteran

There are a number of issues with 802.11G, especially if more than one device is in use. Most devices are backward compatible with 802.11G which means they will work. It doesn't mean they will work well. 802.11AC is the best current standard and will work well with multiple devices. It will likely be superseded by 802.11AX in a year or two but that is a non-issue and AX provides little or no advantage right now.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 04:50 PM

Assuming you're streaming directly from TSN to the Chromecast, the most likely cause of the issue is TSN. If you're mirroring your phone (ie the game is playing on both your phone and the TV simultaneously) then your phone and wifi could be the issue. Upgrading your wifi might help either way, but no guarantees that it fixes the problem.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-25, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

I just read that a 5.0 GHZ Wifi router is faster than a 2.4 GHZ Wifi router but the 2.4 GHZ wifi router will cover longer distances in the house than a 5.0 GHZ wifi router. If this is true than this is a problem. One of the reasons i want to new router is because the old one doesn't cover enough distance in the house. When I'm outside in my yard i can't get my own wifi, but i can see a list of everyone elses wifi in the neighbourhood in my wifi settings (password protected of course so i can't use it)

When ever i watch a game on the TSN app it works fine on my phone, but when I mirror it to my TV it's imperfect. The TSN app doesn't have a chrome cast option on it (like it does for youtube), so it have to go into my phone settings and use tap on the casting feature to mirror it.

Not really familiar with the suffix's like G, AC, AX. Will have to do some research. Stumbled upon other suffixes like N and AE. Don't know what they mean yet.

I have an old cheap shaw internet plan (Internet 5, 65GB of data transfer $68 dollars a month) don't know what the download and upload speeds are because they don't offer this plan anymore. I know that's a very small plan, but I'm not a heavy data user so it works for me. Could this cheapo plan be a problem to?
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-25, 06:33 PM
Veteran

5mbps internet should be adequate for one video stream but it looks like you are overpaying for it by a wide margin. That plan should be about $40/mo for unlimited or at least 200Gb of data. For $68/mo you should be getting at least 30Mbps with unlimited data plus a much newer modem/router.

If the TSN app doesn't offer Chromecast casting then it's using screen mirroring. That will be much less satisfactory than direct Chromecast support and may be the cause of the issues. A better router could be the solution.

Quote:
Not really familiar with the suffix's like G, AC, AX.
All you need to remember is that the router should support AC wifi.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

the $68 dollar monthly package is what shaw offers, what can i do about it, lol

I don't think that data transfer and download speeds would affect streaming quality right?

the next level up is for internet 15 (15gb download speed, 150 GB data transfer, for $82 per month)

It seems like the higher that GHZ the lower the range, which would suck because i'm already having issues with range.

I guess i will have to start researching wifi extenders because i don't think the 2.4 GHZ range is going to be good enough.

based on my limited research a 802.11 ac (wifi 5) with 3.4 GBPS and 2.4 GHZ (multiple antennas) seems to be the most reasonable/best option at the moment. Hopefully the stream quality will be better (I think?) and will give me the range of a 2.4.

when i do buy a new wifi router can i just unplug the old one and replace it with a new one, or does is take some sort of special installation? Last time a shaw tech guy came and did all the work for me.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
what can i do about it
Find a third party internet provider (TPIA) that serves your area. https://www.findinternet.ca/en Teksavvy serves many areas in Canada. https://teksavvy.com/services/internet/

A new router would need to be set up. Most have a guided initial setup and some are easier to set up than others. Some TPIAs will provide a pre-configured modem/router. People here could help.

5GHz is blocked more easily by walls and other obstructions than 2.4Ghz but both have limits. If range is an issue, I recommend using a 'Gigabit Powerline Wi-Fi Adapter Kit' such as the TP-Link TL-WPA8630 KIT AV1300/AC1350.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 06:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Not really familiar with the suffix's like G, AC, AX. Will have to do some research. Stumbled upon other suffixes like N and AE. Don't know what they mean yet.
On 2.4 GHz, G is oldest, with N and most recently AX. Each step provides a performance boost. On 5 GHz, it's A, N & AX. AZ should be arriving shortly. As for AE, perhaps you meant AES, which has to do with encryption. It's mandatory with N and later. When configuring WiFi, do not configure it to support lower rates than you need. These day, you do not want B enabled and probably don't need G. With my access point, I couldn't turn off B, without also killing G. However, since all my devices support N, that's not an issue.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 11:48 PM
Veteran

Another issue is that most internet providers supply an integrated modem/router. Most routers do not have a built in modem so replacing the existing unit is more complicated than it may seem (or I made it out to be.) For $68/mo, Shaw should be replacing the 15 year old modem/router combo with a newer model for free. They may even want to since it will use their network more efficiently. In Ontario, Rogers often provides free modem upgrades and speed upgrades due to the improved efficiency of newer units. I suggest calling Shaw to see what they are willing to provide. Citing competing offers from available TPIAs might result in a better deal. If they won't do anything, I would be looking for a TPIA. Just don't cancel Shaw. Let the TPIA take care of the service transfer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in