Chromecast Discussions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-27, 06:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
In Ontario, Rogers often provides free modem upgrades and speed upgrades due to the improved efficiency of newer units.
I'm on Rogers. When I got a new one, I got a new plan that saved me about $50/month and enabled IPv6. I run it in bridge mode, with my own firewall/router.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-07-27, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the help and info guys and girls.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-01, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

just talked to a shaw rep.

He said that you need 8mbps to properly steam HD and that you would lose speed on wifi compared to being wired. live streaming on wifi is not recommended.

thoughts?

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-01, 05:21 PM
Veteran

^^^^
That depends on the WiFi. With modern equipment, you'll get much more than 8 Mb. I have no problem streaming over WiFi and it's only "g" WiFi. On the other hand, if it's only 802.11b, then yeah, you could have problems.

post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-01, 09:29 PM
Veteran

Agreed. I get the full internet connection speed with wifi and an AC router. It's as good as wired unless I'm in a weak signal spot. It sounds like the Shaw rep is trying to blame the problem on wifi in general when the problem is really with their crappy 15 year old router. Like I said before, I'd be looking for another internet provider. That Shaw plan sounds like a ripoff.
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-02, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

just received a new modem/wifi router from shaw.

Cisco DPC3825

I guess it's better than the old one.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-02, 05:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Cisco DPC3825
That looks like one I had on Rogers a few years ago. The WiFi is only up to 802.11n and on 2.4 GHz only. I had to change modems to get IPv6, as Rogers wouldn't provide it with that modem. I got a Hitron instead and also a $50/month cut in my bill.

post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-02, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Cisco DPC3825
That's still an incredibly outdated and possibly insecure modem/router. Shaw is ripping you off.

I think the problem here is the slow speed plan. Not sure what the current plan is but Shaw's Internet 15 (Mbps) plan is ridiculously overpriced. Their Internet 100 (Mbps), 500GB plan with a better modem is much better and is just $10 more but still overpriced. Right now they are offering that for $50/mo for 24mo to new customers so there is probably room for negotiation. I would call Shaw and see if they will offer a better deal with an upgrade. I see that Teksavvy has Cable 75 (Mbps) Unlimited Internet in some western areas for $50/mo plus modem purchase. (About $13 for 12 mo.) I would mention the Teksavvy price for your location as part of the negotiation. If Shaw won't budge on pricing and modem I would sign up with Teksavvy. Do not cancel with Shaw as that could cause service transfer issues. Teksavvy will take care of the cancellation. Be sure they know that Shaw is the current internet provider.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

shaw didn't rip me off because the modem was free. Unless your suggesting that my old connection was better (Motorola Surfboard SB 5102 with a data transfer rate of 30 MB/S and download speeds of 10/100 mbps +my wireless has 2.4 GHz, 54 MPBS, and, 802.11G)

I streamed a MLB baseball game off youtube last week and the quality was very very good. I streamed a CFL game off the TSN app and the quality was very very bad.

I guess for me it's all dependent on weather or not a website/app has chrome casting capabilities. You tube has it, and TSN doesn't.

I tried streaming a game off the sportsnet app (because they have Chromecast capabilities). But for some reason it wouldn't let me sign in (even though I am a sportsnet subscriber through my cable company.) I've read lot of complaints about that crummy app.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 09:36 PM
Veteran

The modem is not free since most ISPs include modem rental in the price. When I said Shaw was ripping you off, that included the internet plan and modem. Other ISPs offer much better plans for the same or lower price. Even Shaw offers better plans and modems for a lower price. From the information given, it sounds like Shaw is charging $68 for 10Mbps internet and a ridiculously outdated modem. If so, that's a very bad deal.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
.... it sounds like Shaw is charging $68 for 10Mbps internet and a ridiculously outdated modem. If so, that's a very bad deal.
I concur on the ridiculously bad pricing and equipment offering by Shaw. As suggested, you should research other providers and then see what Shaw Loyalty Retentions can offer. Be informed and firm on what it will take to keep you as a customer.....be prepared to walk if they won't budge.

Fortunately, I happen to be served by Telus using their fibre optic network. My current promotional price, for 2 years, is $50/ month at 150mbs up/down including a router that supports both bands plus offers a guest network. Feel free to use this information as part of your bargaining with Shaw.

I have multiple Chromecast devices in the house, have no issues streaming (apart from TSN) and range is not an issue.

All the best.
Skifan.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 11:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My current promotional price, for 2 years, is $50/ month at 150mbs up/down including a router that supports both bands plus offers a guest network.
Shaw offers something similar to new customers for two years. The problem is that a lot of areas just have cable internet or fibre internet, not both. In that case, prices tend to be higher and the ability to switch is more limited. TPIAs like TSI and Start are usually an option but they often have limited offerings. TPIAs typically max out at 250Mbps where 1Gb internet is available from incumbents. Here in Ontario, Start and TSI customers sometimes suffer mysterious outages that don't affect Rogers customers. I rarely had issues with TSI when I was with DSL but the switch to cable changed that.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-08-10, 03:06 PM
Veteran

Hey. Aren't we getting a little off topic? What does Shaw have to do with Chromecast?
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

just struck a deal with shaw.

I'm getting Internet 300, with a better modem/wifi router on the way. All for a much cheaper price.

The chromecast gives me a good picture for streaming video but it could be better. Hopefully the new modem and internet package will do that for me.

I have an off topic question for you guys. Just in case the chromecast streaming quality is the same with the new modem/internet package as it was with old modem/internet package, I hear people saying that they have their modem's 'hardwired' to their tv. Doest this mean that they use one of their modem's ethernet ports and hook it up to the back of their tv or does it mean something else? That back of my TV doesn't have an ethernet port but the back of my HDTV box does.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 07:45 PM
Veteran

^^^ Some TVs have Chromecast built in and offer an ethernet port. So there's an Ethernet cable from the modem to the TV in some form. When people want this I usually recommend using Powerline adapters (plus a switch, if necessary). Chromecast streaming will be using a wired connection in this scenario.

--
Neil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in