Roku Express or Chromecast. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2018-12-08, 01:25 PM
Veteran

I can also confirm that the Roku channel works in Canada without VPN. But it's just a collection of old movies and TV shows - not high value content.

I have both (multiple Chromecasts and Rokus) and we almost exclusively use the Roku simply for the remote. Might want to consider the Roku stick though so that you can take it on the road. I've used mine throughout Europe, Scandinavia, and Asia - now that HDMI and USB is a worldwide standard, it works on almost any hotel TV around the world. And having Netflix in the middle of the night helps with the jetlag

So apps wise, both have Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube. Chromecast has Crave. Roku has a remote. Pick whichever is of the most value to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2018-12-08, 02:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Crave doesn't support Android TV
I mistakenly thought that the Crave app was supported on the Nvidia Shield but it appears that it isn't. I got the impression that the Nvidia Shield ran a full blown Android with Android TV support. It looks like it actually runs Android TV OS. Crave is not in the Nvidia Shield app list and there is some discussion about Crave not being supported. There is also a report of the Crave app working if it is sideloaded and started with a side launcher. Not sure I want to depend on that.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to David1953 and North_of_Calgary for answering my question concerning the Roku Channel in Canada. North, I like old movies and TV shows so this is not a problem. Still wondering about the so called "private" or niche channels, but I can check them out for my self if I decide on a Roku.

Thanks everyone.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-01-01, 04:14 PM
Rookie

It is available in Canada because last year the shopping channel was selling the device.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-01-27, 12:20 PM

I love my Roku and use it all the time ! but that being said my Apple TV 4K is great too for the stuff it lacks ! I'm not interested in a Chromecast.....
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-01-27, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Recently obtained a TCL Roku TV to replace a Samsung that failed. It's basically an LCD TV with a built in Roku interface. The interface seems good but lacks a lot of features and apps for the Canadian market. I would recommend it if it the Crave and CTV apps but they are completely missing. Found a thread on the Roku site requesting the Crave app but the request was met with quite a bit of indifference and hostility. That left me with very bad opinion of the Roku community and Roku in general.

Can't say I'd recommend the Chromecast either. Prime video is not supported and it appears that Amazon developers are going out of their way to prevent third party support on Chromecast. As Amazon and Google don't support each other's services I couldn't recommend devices from either company.

The only proprietary streaming device I would consider in Canada is the Apple TV. It appears to have the best support for Canadian services. The downside is that, like most Apple products, it is overpriced and designed to work best with Apple services and with services from Apple partners. That's OK if you have lots of money to spend on Apple hardware.

I'm mostly using HTPCs, as I have had for many years. HTPCs have issues. The interface is not great and the sound is not as good as it could be. Proprietary streaming services still refuse to provide support for the generic HTPC or open source software such as Kodi and legal support for Blu-Ray has almost disappeared. Browser interfaces are often buggy and difficult to use when compared to proprietary hardware. (It's still better than having no app.) Even though the entertainment industry refuses to directly support the HTPC, it continues to be the most versatile streaming device with almost universal support for streaming or other media sources and better longevity than the alternatives.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-01-28, 02:28 PM

Both Roku and Apple TV support Prime video now. For awile I thought it was just Roku. Prime video has been on the US version for so long it wouldn’t have taken much to put it on the Canadian version as well. Having both allows me to make a good comparison. I really love the interface of Roku ! I find that Roku is good for allowing me to play my Google Play movie and TV show purchases that I have been making for more then two years and playing my Cineplex store movie purchases without flaw. The stuff that earns you Scene points at the movies with Cineplex. When I tried to look for the same apps on Apple TV I couldn’t find them recently and just trying to air play it didn’t work out well at all. Roku is quite abit cheaper too.

That being the Apple TV is really good at getting things that are harder to get in a streaming box in Canada as @ExDilbert mentioned. Stuff like Global Go and Crave TV and a few other stuff not on Roku. They are quicker to get any newer stuff to market on their boxes as well. Roku takes quite abit of time sometimes, and at times too long in Canada to add new stuff. I have an iPhone 8 too so for me it just made sense to get one. It’s fun to Air play when I can as well !

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2019-01-28 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in