MCE Users Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-07-27, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Cool MCE Users Thread

First post to start of the thread, basically this will be a place that we can discuss any issues with MCE, whether it be OTA issues, Tuner cards, Display issues, 3rd party apps, etc.

I've gone through lots of issues with my own MCE setup, and would love to assist if anyone else has any questions or issues.

Let's try and keep the thread active to see if we can't get a sticky!

fish

Roger Cable 3250HD | JVC AV48WP | Panasonic DVDRP-82 | Kenwood VR-509 | XBOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-07-27, 07:33 PM
jem

I'm in! There's a lot about the MCE I like, and a lot I find frustrating. For example, why no browser in the media center?
post #3 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-07-28, 08:02 AM

I have been using MCE 2005 for about a year now. I only use it for streaming music and pictures to my home theater. I enjoy the interface and find it fairly easy to use. I think the reason that there is no browser in the MCE interface is due to the fact that you can switch back to the main OS so easily that really it woudl be pointless to surf inside the container. Just my 2 cents.

post #4 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-07-29, 08:07 AM

Yeah I'm in. I've been using MCE2005 since March of this year and both the wife and I love interface and ease of use. We're only using it for watching downloaded videos/episodes, listening to our MP3s and looking at digital pictures.

Lobo
post #5 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-07-30, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

I basically use mine for everything. It runs my HDTV and almost all audio to my receiver. Having the HDTV Tuner card is great, we cut our cable and I still get about 10 channels analog, and I can tune them using the hack. Not bad, I'm enjoying it a lot, and saving $100/month to Rogers. My roomate has a large collection of TV series', and I have a huge movie collection. I can access and view all of his stuff on the network plus mine, so I have an almost unlimited supply of audio/video. Over 1000 albums with covers.

I also have setup another MCE box, now check this one out. It's a beast. PIII 450Mhz, 384MB RAM, and an NVIDIA 128MB Ti4600 card. It can actually decode xvid while streaming video over the network. I dont have any content on this one, I set the My Documents to link to the shared folder on my main machine. Pretty good setup for anyone with an extra PC kicking around. Great bedroom unit.

fish

post #6 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-02, 09:47 AM

Network server and MCE

Does MCE have any issues access mp3's movies etc across a network? Any issues with having to loggon to the server each time?

I am an advanced computer user but I just have zero experience with media center as of yet so just thought I would ask because we all know how perfect microsoft software is

Also does it support vob files nativly?

TBD yet again :)
post #7 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-02, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown6412
Does MCE have any issues access mp3's movies etc across a network? Any issues with having to loggon to the server each time?

I am an advanced computer user but I just have zero experience with media center as of yet so just thought I would ask because we all know how perfect microsoft software is

Also does it support vob files nativly?
The default install of MCE2005 will probably be fine for a lot of things and as long as WMP10 supports vob files already then it should be ok too. However, to play divx/xvid files I did have to install one of those all in one codecs. I used Ace Mega Codecs in order to play all the video types. You also have to install some kind of software DVD program if you plan on playing DVDs on your box.

As for network issues, yes it can share files across a network but for some strange reason, after a reboot it can no longer "see" the shared folder. You have to manually remove and then add the shared drive to see all of the files. This is over wireless so I don't know if a wired connection would be different somehow.

Lobo
post #8 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-03, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I can say that over a wired connection, there is no need to re-add the shared folders. Video_TS folders are supported for ripping DVD's to HD, but for this you would need the DVD Decoder software, comes with any DVD player, PowerDVD, NVDVD, etc.

fish

post #9 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-03, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisson
I also have setup another MCE box, now check this one out. It's a beast. PIII 450Mhz, 384MB RAM, and an NVIDIA 128MB Ti4600 card.
Is this a joke? The "it's a beast" part?

Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, 3 FibreOp 2.0 HDTV receivers, Draper 120 inch screen, HD Media PC i7 920, ATI 4800 Radeon.
post #10 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-04, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFace
Is this a joke? The "it's a beast" part?
haha - I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic!

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
post #11 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-06, 10:33 AM

Thought I would address this wxpmce2005 problem to this forum in the hopes that something will come of it. I've been using the media centre program since February and quite frankly I've had to contend with a PC that is incapable of guaranteeing that it will work each time I use it.

I was using it with a BellExpressVu 6100 HD receiver and finally reached the point where I could boot up and go to Media Centre and watch Live TV. I could also record TV series and watch them on the monitor but not my TV. Then I recently acquired BellExpressVu's 9200 dual tuner HD PVR and then ran into what appeared to be insurmountable problems at first but I have managed to improve the situation somewhat by dogged tenacity, but still I can't receive Live TV let alone record as before.

The problem seems to lie in the fact that whereas the 6100 had a s-video connection, the 9200's only output that I can use is via composite. The Sony Vaio PC does not have component connections (?) During setup I run into the problem where the program, in detecting a video signal, will announce that it has detected a video signal but later when getting down to the nitty-gritty, it will automatically jump to the s-video, despite the fact that I selected composite 1 or 2.

When I proceed further into the process, I am able to view the small video screen ( with audio ) in the lower left, but when I enter the changing channel setup sequence it will actually capture the channel # but will not change to the keyed-in channel. Then remarkably it will lose the picture altogether and leave just the sound. Despite all this, on one occasion I was able to view a full screen video with sound but after about ten seconds or so the video disappeared leaving just the sound.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be ? Rule out both Sony and ATI as they both have only contributed towards prolonging this episode because they are seemingly reluctant to replace what appears to me to be defective merchandise. I'd appreciate any contributions you'd care to give. Thanks.
post #12 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-06, 02:15 PM
Veteran

I remember that getting the signal accepted from composite-1 on setup was tricky. I suppose that the S-Video-1 connection is default.
But it sounds like some settings on the 9200 need to be changed. I don't have one, but I know that signals don't downconvert through cabling. Is there a native setting adjustment (say to 480p)?
I don't believe you should blame Sony or ATI. Keep us informed.
post #13 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-06, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

haha, well yes I was being sarcastic. Just thought I'd list the specs so anyone who thought their PC wasn't good enough to run MCE would consider giving it a try. Perhaps cleaning out that old PC is a cheaper/better solution than purchasing a Media Center Extender.

fish

post #14 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-08, 12:40 PM

I love MCE. I have had no problems at all with it. Records what I want, when I want. The only thing I haven't got working 100% yet is this: I have a 36" TV hooked up via S-Video, and a Projector hooked up via VGA. Problem is, I can't seemlessly go between the two displays. I tried setting up a keystroke to change from the TV resolution (800 x 600 I think) to the projector resolution (960x540), it works, but for some reason the image needs to be moved over using the nVidia control panel. Looks great when I do that. But when I try to save the profile that way, and switch back to the TV, it's fine, but then try to go back to the projector mode again... It's off center, and I need to move it with the nVidia control panel again. Never seems to hold that setting. Other than that problem everything looks great, including HDTV recordings on the projector! I was pleasently surprised that I didn't lose any quality by watching OTA HDTV through the PC. No quality loss that I could see with my eyes at least.

Ken
post #15 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-08, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo
I love MCE. I have had no problems at all with it. Records what I want, when I want. everything looks great, including HDTV recordings on the projector! I was pleasently surprised that I didn't lose any quality by watching OTA HDTV through the PC. No quality loss that I could see with my eyes at least.

Ken
Well, good for you, Kenbo. I'm pleased to hear that it IS feasible. However, you're talking about HD OTA, which I haven't tried yet, which may turn out to be the way for me to go, especially since I am fortunately located ideally near the Lake for both the CN Tower and Buffalo transmissions. Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in