MCE Users Thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-08, 12:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG
Try ATI or Hauppage.
While Hauppauge makes the best SD tuner cards I don't believe they make HD tuner cards. The ATI HD card is not sold in Canada for some strange reason. I use a Kworld ATSC-110 card - it works with Beyond TV but there are some issues. I can't tell you if it works with MCE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-08, 03:09 PM
RRH

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations for an HDTV-tuner card that works with MCE 2005 (which I assume I will need to also get)?
Unless you Have Off the air HDTV signals available then a HD TV card
is not required ,MCE2005 will not support HDTV CABLE signal.

If you have a OTA HD signal availible then the avermedia HD tuner card is readily available,
other less availible options but better cards are the VoX 150 card or the fusion 5 HDTV card. the External USB version of the Fusion5 seems to be well liked
by others on the forum.
post #78 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-17, 04:05 PM
Bell Employee

Quote:
ATI AIW 9600 is working fine under MCE2005? I know that the system requirements are not demanding, but for recording it requires hardware encoding. Will my AIW work fine for recording? I have Videotron.
Bad surprise : my ATI AIW 9600 is not allowed to play TV under MCE. Nasty. The card is installed but I can't activate the TV part.

post #79 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-17, 07:40 PM
Bell Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
anyone know of an easy way to edit some recorded programs?

nothing elaborate I just want to cut out some unwatched recorded material at the beginning and end of some of my recorded programs.

Also u can use TMPEG encoder, the tools allow you very simple to cut and join segments of mpeg 1/2 streams.
post #80 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-18, 12:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanboya
- still looking for an appropriate, inexpensive v-card with at least S-VHS output; BB has a 3dfuzion GeForce 5500 which I believe works but need to test
The least you should use is an NVidia GF6200.

If you are using AGP, then I would strongly recommend the ATI X1600 Pro.

If you are using PCI-E, then it is a tossup between the GF7600 (at a minimum) and the ATI X1000 series cards as a whole.

Anything less than a GF6200 will not take advantage of the optimizations in the NVidia "PureVideo" decoder.

However, if you are only watching your MCE PC on a CRT TV set, I would recommend no less than an ATI 9600 Pro/XT as they have very respectable S-Video out.
post #81 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-18, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
ATI AIW 9600 is working fine under MCE2005? I know that the system requirements are not demanding, but for recording it requires hardware encoding. Will my AIW work fine for recording? I have Videotron.
The AIW cards (The 9xxx and older for sure) do not have hardware driven tuners/encoders. MCE is picky about this and it is best anyhow to stick with a card that has hardware based MPEG2 processing.

There is a new competitor for the stalward choice of Hauppauge. NVidia has a tual tuner (Both dual analog tuner and dual A/V input) that is appearently the new card to have for HTPCs. Pricing is competitive but availability is a bit sketchy.

Also ATI has a new dedicated card that appearently makes for better playback over the Hauppauge series cards, just like the reviews for the NVidia Dual tuner card.
post #82 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 04:33 PM
Veteran

I also forgot to comment on the early post in regards to network connectivity issues with MCE...

MCE 2005 will work fine in workgroup mode with any other PCs on your home network. It will also operate "fine" over a wireless connection. I run my MCE 2005 PC with a wireless card and it never looses its network share shortcuts in the "My Videos" section of MCE.

The "fine" part of wireless and MCE is that it is only half baked at streaming video stored on a different PC. It is usually stable but if you do anything on the other PC, you will get skips and studders.

Any other connectivity issues you have are more likely related to a poor wireless signal or a corrupted MCE install.
post #83 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-08-23, 01:36 PM

Media Center Recording Issue

I have had a PC running MCE 2005 for quite a while and all was working fine. I just installed a new Motorola 6200 (Shaw) running to the PC over s-video. I am no longer able to record and the PC shows messages indicating that the program material is copyrighted and not able to be recorded.

I have read about broadcast flags effecting digital recordings but I thought that analog recordings over s-video should be fine.

If anyone can assist I would appreciate it as I don't really want to break out the VCR.

Thank you
post #84 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 12:00 AM

Adding MTV Canada to Xbox Online Spotlight

Can you add MTV Canada's Overdrive on to Xbox's online spotlight?
post #85 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-09-10, 12:55 AM

I'm Guessing This Is A Newbie Question

I am in the process of setting up my HTPC with MCE.

I have the MS MCE keyboard, remote control and IR receiver.

The keyboard works fine for the hotkeys, like MyVideos, etc.

The usual keyboard keys, like the alphabet letters, and the mousestick in the upper right corner give nothing.

I'm guessing there is something that I need to set, but I can't guess what it is.

I did check the lock key at the bottom left front and it is set to unlocked.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
post #86 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-09-11, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicanuck View Post
The usual keyboard keys, like the alphabet letters, and the mousestick in the upper right corner give nothing.
That is truly strange...

I always understood that the KB should just "work".

Have you resolved the problem yet? If not, I might recommend that you look at the wireless KB/mouse that NCIX carries. It does not have all of the media buttons that the MCE KB has, but it does have all of the transport functions so you can still do play, pause, FF, RW and the like. I have it and love it. The issues I read about with the MCE KB were just putting me off too much.
post #87 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-09-11, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
That is truly strange...

I always understood that the KB should just "work".

Have you resolved the problem yet?
I got it going. I found information on the microsoft website.

I had to make sure I had rollup 2, then download and install an update for the keyboard.

I was pretty sure the keyboard was OK because the IR receiver flashed when I pressed keys.

Now I have to get used to the "eraser mouse". Yuck.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
post #88 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-09-11, 05:27 PM

The mouse is hard at first but I am quite use to it
post #89 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-09-11, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicanuck View Post
Now I have to get used to the "eraser mouse". Yuck.
Ya...

That is the part that scared me away...
post #90 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-11-21, 02:58 PM
TWG

XP-MCE-Radio

I am embarrased to ask such a basic question here but.... how do you get the radio to play. I have an HP pc (m7330n) with ATI radio/tv card running MCE. I plugged the little wire cable into the FM jack in the rear of the PC. Went to the MCE-radio interface, tuned my favoutite OTA station, hit play, NADA. Any other station NADA. Hmm. I play cds all the time so what gives here? Of course I have tried this in the stores with same results but their excuse is they do not have a cable connected. TWG

Denon2311, KDS50-2020, SamBluray, BEV6142, BEV6131, Shaw 3400, Pioneer CLD-M401, PSB Speakers, Mirage Sub, Harmony 520

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in