MCE Users Thread - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-21, 10:16 PM

MCE Wakes Up Every Night

My HTPC wakes up in the middle of the night every night. Does anybody know why it is doing this and how I can get it to stop? If it is waking up for a good reason, is there a way to get it to go back to sleep on its own.

It is worse than my 4 year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-21, 11:25 PM

mine does the same thing (about 7:20am actually) - I assume it's to download program guide info. I think the only way to stop it is to set that to manual, which is pretty stupid. :/
post #63 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-26, 04:44 AM

MCE 2005 content refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
Ok I've got one problem that hopefully you fellow MCE2005 users can help with. I originally catalogued my MP3 collection in the My Music section of MCE. This was back in March. Since then, I've standardized some naming formats and such by renaming some playlists and folders. However, when I see my Albums or Playlists in MCE they still show the old information. I've gone as far as removing folders for which MCE is to look for music in and literally have nothing pointing MCE to it but I still see all of my music and with the old naming formats. Is there anyway to "erase" whatever database it may have created originally when it first started looking for music on my computer? I'm actually quite surprised that it still knows where to look for music even though I have no folders selected in the My Music section.

Lobo
Lobo, have you got an answer on this? I am having similar problem, on Xbox 360.

Cave

post #64 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-28, 11:19 PM

Not really but I have noticed that Windows Media Player 10 also has it's own "database" which is pointing to the same folder(s) that I had setup in MCE2005. I'm going to remove the references in WMP and in MCE2005 to see if it makes a difference. Don't know if this helps you out on your Xbox 360 though.

I also found a program called Album Art Fixer which is pretty handy at cleaning up your music collection on MCE2005. Give it a try if you need to have an album's artist set to Various Artists or any other thing that needs fixing and you can't seem to get it done.

http://www.avsoft.nl/ArtFixer/default.htm

Lobo
post #65 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-29, 02:16 AM

Thanks Lobo, I will give it a try. My problem has been somewhat masked (not neccessary solved). For some reasons, two days in a row, when I first turn on the 360 and connect to the Media Centre, it asked me to run the pcsetup from the PC, which in turn sets up the 360 as a new device and therefore recatalog all the music collection. That achieves the refresh effect but I hope it doesn't happen all the time, because it creates a new user in the PC each time it does that.

Anyway thanks and cheers,

Cave.
post #66 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-01-09, 10:38 PM

Thumbs down MCE and Channel Recall

I am new to MCE 2005 - I am using the Snap Stream Firefly remote and the remote has a Channel Recall button - but it seems to do nothing.
Does anybody know if MCE supports Channel Recall and if so what the keyboard short cut would be. Thanks!
post #67 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-01-10, 09:29 AM

It does support channel recall, I don't know the shortcut though. On the MCE remote, it's the "enter" or "select" button. Whatever the round button is in the center of the navigation arrow buttons.

Is that response cryptic enough for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbedros
I am new to MCE 2005 - I am using the Snap Stream Firefly remote and the remote has a Channel Recall button - but it seems to do nothing.
Does anybody know if MCE supports Channel Recall and if so what the keyboard short cut would be. Thanks!
post #68 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-01-17, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Having the HDTV Tuner card is great, we cut our cable and I still get about 10 channels analog
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but:
- what card are you using (AIW HDTV card)? When you say HDTV tuner card
- do you mean you are getting HDTV signals + 10 analog signals?
- if you are indeed getting HDTV, are these OTA signals? Or is it QAM/DCR?
- if these are OTA and local analog signals, it's probably because your in a local area that allows for it (GTA), correct? What do you use for an antenna?

Ted
post #69 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-01-17, 10:16 PM

MON Multi-Median vs Windows XP Media Centre Edition?

iMON Multi-Median vs Windows XP Media Centre Edition?
I am planning on building a HTPC with a Sliverstone case which includes an iMON remote and iMON Multi-Median software.
I was wondering how does the iMON software compare to MCE, and is it worth getting MCE with the iMON bundle, or should I just go for plain XP?
post #70 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 06:34 PM

Newbie on MCE

While waiting for Apple's eventual solution to this whole settop mess, I decided to get my feet wet putting together an MCE box with the following specs:

- P42.8/1GB/120GB
- MCE 2005 (through MSDN)
- Hauppauge 150 MCE
- still looking for an appropriate, inexpensive v-card with at least S-VHS output; BB has a 3dfuzion GeForce 5500 which I believe works but need to test

Had some initial issues with configuration but seemed to have worked through things. However, I'm on basic cable at this point and looking to upgrade to digital sometime this year. I like how all the programming info is recorded and accessible at this point; do I lose all this if I switch to cable?

Do you have any recommendations for an HDTV-tuner card that works with MCE 2005 (which I assume I will need to also get)?

Shaw Cable, Vancouver
post #71 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-05-22, 09:03 PM
Bell Employee

ATI AIW 9600 is working fine under MCE2005? I know that the system requirements are not demanding, but for recording it requires hardware encoding. Will my AIW work fine for recording? I have Videotron.
post #72 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-05-23, 11:03 AM

MCE with multiple outputs

Hi all,

I am just about to setup MCE in my home but I have a minor roadblock I think, I am running a dual-core system with a TV Tuner. Perhaps someone could be of assistance.

My MCE box is upstairs in my home connected to LCD monitor "A", I have a LCD TV "B" downstairs in the living room connected to a Rogers HD8300 box and a small LCD TV "C" in the bedroom.

Is it possible to stream video/tv from my MCE box to "B" while at the same time browsing the internet on "A"?

Is it possible to stream video/tv to "B" and "C" at the same time?

If the configurations above are feasible, do I connect everything via cable or do I go wirelessly? (Looking for cheapest option)

Thanks,

Darren
post #73 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-08, 09:00 AM
Bell Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdman
Hi all,
Is it possible to stream video/tv from my MCE box to "B" while at the same time browsing the internet on "A"?
Is it possible to stream video/tv to "B" and "C" at the same time?
If the configurations above are feasible, do I connect everything via cable or do I go wirelessly? (Looking for cheapest option)
In should work fine in both situations. For streaming to more sources I would not reccomend wireless, due to bandwith limitation, as wireless g goes with max 54Mbps. A regular wired NIC goes at 100 Mbps (12,5 MB/s) while the gigabit controllers offers ten times that number. A good fast harddrive should be reccomended as storage source, here I would go for a 16MB cache version. While streaming to B and C you may experience some slowdown if browsing internet on A, so a very fast storage system would be advisable. In addition u would also need a wired router.
post #74 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-08, 09:02 AM
Bell Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanboya
Do you have any recommendations for an HDTV-tuner card that works with MCE 2005 (which I assume I will need to also get)?
Shaw Cable, Vancouver
Try ATI or Hauppage.
post #75 of 194 (permalink) Old 2006-06-08, 11:32 AM

anyone know of an easy way to edit some recorded programs?

nothing elaborate I just want to cut out some unwatched recorded material at the beginning and end of some of my recorded programs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in