MCE Users Thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-18, 02:59 PM

great post and good idea for MCE users

relatively new to MCE - 2 months or so. So far pretty happy with the all the new functions.
Currently have a small network HP Media centre PC and linksys wireless media centre extender hooked up.

I have another PC networked with above, anyone know off hand if its possible to turn this PC into a extender so I can watch tv, program etc..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 10:46 AM

I have an HP media centre computer and am having trouble, read no success, in using the HP remote control receiver to control my DSR505. The instructions require that I place the HP remote sensor control cable over an IR window on the DSR505. I went thriugh the setup process with the remotes and MCE claimed to know the remote but I was never able to use MCE to switch channels.

Question - has anyone successfully used MCE to control a 505 and if you have where did you attach your sensor.
post #48 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworg
I have an HP media centre computer and am having trouble, read no success, in using the HP remote control receiver to control my DSR505. The instructions require that I place the HP remote sensor control cable over an IR window on the DSR505. I went thriugh the setup process with the remotes and MCE claimed to know the remote but I was never able to use MCE to switch channels.

Question - has anyone successfully used MCE to control a 505 and if you have where did you attach your sensor.
never used with DSR505 but make sure you have the sensor plug in all the way into the remote sensor box ... push it all the way in... the reboot your PC.

I had the same problem ... it recognized my remote but did not change the channel. This may not be your problem but this worked for me.

post #49 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestion but that does not seem to be the problem. I suspect that I have placed the sensor in the wrong location on the 505. I used a flashlight to locate what I think is the sensor, slightly up and halfway between the satellite reception signal and the time display but no success.
post #50 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but that does not seem to be the problem. I suspect that I have placed the sensor in the wrong location on the 505. I used a flashlight to locate what I think is the sensor, slightly up and halfway between the satellite reception signal and the time display but no success.
You have placed the IR emitter in the same place I have. I am using an HP1195C computer and a DSR505 with no problems. There are two transmitter ports on the IR base station - make sure you try switching the ports when you are training Media Center to change channels. I don't know what else to suggest - it should work!

Pioneer PDP-5020FD Onkyo TX-SR875 Paradigm Loudspeakers
post #51 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-22, 03:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I used a flashlight to locate what I think is the sensor,
The best way to locate the sensor on any equipment is to hold the remote for that unit within an inch of the front panel. Move across the face of the unit with the remote and continually punch the power button on the remote until you get a reaction.
post #52 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-23, 04:12 PM

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was successful when I changed IR ports from 1 to 2 and retrained.
post #53 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 03:29 PM

question about "Media Center Edition Rollup Version 2"

"added support for PCs with Away Mode, a new power-management feature that cuts off the speakers and display, and perhaps lowers CPU power, but still allows the computer to perform unattended tasks (such as streaming video to an Extender). Laemmel cites having a babysitter over as an example of the mode's usefulness: You don't have to show how to start up or shut down the PC; just pressing the off button on the remote control will put the PC into Away Mode."

How do you know if your PC has this option and if it does how do you know if the PC is this new away mode or old sleep mode?
post #54 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 10:34 AM

any way to recover deleted files from deleted from within the interface MCE eg. MP3 file?

It does not go into the standard recycled box from what I can tell.
post #55 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-02, 04:23 PM

Ripping DVDs for MCE

On the issue of backing up DVD's to your drive for viewing in MCE. I'm suprised no one is talking about MoviePro. It scripts a bunch of programs, including IMDB, DVD Decrypter, etc. and renders the DVD in .wmv format. My movies are coming in tiny (750meg). The process is pretty easy - 1 click in total. I drop the DVD in, Windows asks me what I want to do; MoviePro is listed as an option, I click it, I'm done (2hrs later, mind you). The .wmv encoding is perfect. I watch movies on my DLP HDTV. While there are some compression-related relics, they are hardly noticeable. These movies also play perfectly to my Extenders, which is nice. I don't think DVDs ripped in any other way will play on Extenders (I could be wrong).

Go to thenears(dot)com for a writeup on how to get it all going with links to everything you need. Search for "MoviePro" when you get to Nears' site. An excellent site by the way.
S.
post #56 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-16, 12:05 PM

ID3 info for MCE2005?

Just wondering what MCE2005 uses to populate the information for the My Music section like the Artist, Album, genre, etc. With MP3s would it be the IDE tags? Would like to find out because I'm having a little bit of an issue with my server. I just put an new MP3'd album on there and it had all the right information in the ID3 fields however it lumped the album under unknown artist. Seems like quite a number of my albums are like this even though the artist info is there for the songs.

Lobo
post #57 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-16, 06:49 PM

Can you watch movies or other video from a media center extender (aka xbox360)? As there's a good chance that I will get a 360, and I'm planning on replacing my old PC sometime in the near future (toyed with upgrades but a 5 year old machine has diminishing returns there) I'm wondering what benefit I might get from a MCE machine vs. XP Pro. And has anyone built their own machine or just bought off the shelf - I see some places to sell the Media Center Edition on its own, although I assume I may have to pay some attention in building components. I'm not interested in using it for recording TV (SA8300HD covers that), and I'd rather play back through the 360 if possible rather than hook it directly to my HDTV.

Jethro - LG OLED65C7P, NB 3.0, Yam HTR6190, Polk, Harmony 680, Xbox One X
post #58 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-16, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
As for network issues, yes it can share files across a network but for some strange reason, after a reboot it can no longer "see" the shared folder. You have to manually remove and then add the shared drive to see all of the files. This is over wireless so I don't know if a wired connection would be different somehow.

Lobo
Don't know if Lobo ever found an answer but it may be related to this FAQ:

While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

Sounds like a strange mashup of XP Pro features, I hope it really supports dual core cpus...

post #59 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-16, 08:04 PM

jethrogoss

You can build your own machine and get MCE 2005 OEM (which is XP Pro with the Media Center).

You do not have to buy a pre-built computer
post #60 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-11-17, 09:57 AM

Is there any recommendations on components for something like this to handle say HD quality media etc. I probably wouldn't capture from cable/ota tv, but it might be nice to be able to have other media playable on my pc - I think that would largely just be dependent on the processor speed.

I actually downloaded the windows media encoder and imported a Divx file, upconverting it to 1280x720p - took roughly forever for a half hour segment. On the updside it didn't seem to reduce the quality wrt the divx version. I should try again putting it into a similar quality level I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in