MCE Users Thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-10, 02:53 PM

GBOB, Im not sure about removing it from within media center actully ill have to try at home tonight to see. But you can try with the media center tweak power toy from microsoft to see if it allows you to do it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

The aspect ratio jsut go to settings and tv then set it in there to 16x9

The buffer I have no idea because I dont use the tv feature but ill poke around and see what I find for you on that.

Have you tried out MYMOVIES plug in yet for your videos? if not I highly suggest you give it a try www.mymovies.name

TBD yet again :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-10, 10:44 PM

I figured out how to remove menu items. You go to Start, Set Program and Access Defaults then Custom and unclick enable access to this program.
post #33 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-12, 06:34 AM

Wondering if anyone know's how to make MCE use the WMP 10 as the default viewer instead of it's default player. In the desktop mode, wmp10 is the default viewer, but for some reason MCE (menu system) has it's own viewer. All the codecs i installed works for wmp10 but not for the MCE's viewer.

post #34 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-12, 01:05 PM

Ok I've got one problem that hopefully you fellow MCE2005 users can help with. I originally catalogued my MP3 collection in the My Music section of MCE. This was back in March. Since then, I've standardized some naming formats and such by renaming some playlists and folders. However, when I see my Albums or Playlists in MCE they still show the old information. I've gone as far as removing folders for which MCE is to look for music in and literally have nothing pointing MCE to it but I still see all of my music and with the old naming formats. Is there anyway to "erase" whatever database it may have created originally when it first started looking for music on my computer? I'm actually quite surprised that it still knows where to look for music even though I have no folders selected in the My Music section.

Lobo
post #35 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown6412
Have you tried out MYMOVIES plug in yet for your videos? if not I highly suggest you give it a try www.mymovies.name
Does this MyMovies plug-in work for any kind of video files or is there a specific format? For example, I've compressed some of my son's Disney movies into 700M/1500M Xvid video files so that I don't have to constantly change DVDs. Would this program recognize these movies and grab the appropriate information for it? How does it work for movies grabbed off the net? And last question, it says on their website that you can use the program to make copies of you DVDs onto MCE. How does it do this?

Lobo
post #36 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 10:20 AM

I have just started using my movies. From what I know it will support Xvid and Divx. I use Dvd Decrypter to rip my dvd's to ISO's then run Daemon tools on the computer. My Movies loads the dvds perfectly from my tests so far. It will work on extenders but only for movies that are in the supported formats of the extenders mpeg and wmv I think. It is a great product overall.

It will copy Dvd's for you but only unprotected ones not commercial RSS movies. For those that have the HTPC hooked up to a TV this is a great seamless product for MCE to provide a fornt end for archived movies that u don't want to find the dvd and put it in your DVD player.
post #37 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 10:30 AM

Lobo, Yes any type of movie will work with MYMOVIES, if it plays in windows media center Or theatertrek MYMOVIES will work. For d/l movies you will need to input the info or search for the reall dvd movie in the online database to fill out actors,genre, etc. As for copying the dvds It just has the ability to copy no protected ones unless you use ANYdvd running in the background.
I prefer dvd shrink or dvd deycripter personally. I am in the LONG process of ripping all my 250 dvd's to hard drive, but with dvd shirk it does go pretty fast.

I rip as the regular dvd file format and keep full dvds for some and rip out extras and menus on others to save space. The benifit of using the dvd format is it keeps the files universally readable for other players such as networked dvd players, UPNP players like the dlink dsm-320. Just generally more usable. BUT the files are large! about 6 gigs per movie if you dont use compression.

post #38 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 10:54 AM

Anyone installed update 2 to MCE 2k5 yet? I was at the download page nothing looks that great wiht the roll up. It forces u to run that stupid ms genuine validation tool as well....god MS
post #39 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 11:17 AM

Here's some info on it:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12547

Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, 3 FibreOp 2.0 HDTV receivers, Draper 120 inch screen, HD Media PC i7 920, ATI 4800 Radeon.
post #40 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark
Anyone installed update 2 to MCE 2k5 yet? I was at the download page nothing looks that great wiht the roll up. It forces u to run that stupid ms genuine validation tool as well....god MS
Actually ALL versions of XP now require you to run the validation tool to beable to get any of the updates, its been that way for a month or more now. So if you run a pirate copy of xp with a generic cd key off the net you can not get anymore updates. Most all keys on the net have been black listed.

post #41 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 12:31 PM

I don't run a pirated copy of XP Pro or MCE. When they first introduced the validation tool on windows update my corporate keys were not working for well over 50 machines. After talking with MS and waiting for a call back i just went into IE on each machine and disabled the Genuine add on for IE. The updates now flow freely. I didn't know they were going to do this with MCE. Not a big deal just find MS to be hard to deal with alot fo times.
post #42 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown6412
Lobo, Yes any type of movie will work with MYMOVIES, if it plays in windows media center Or theatertrek MYMOVIES will work. For d/l movies you will need to input the info or search for the reall dvd movie in the online database to fill out actors,genre, etc. As for copying the dvds It just has the ability to copy no protected ones unless you use ANYdvd running in the background.
I prefer dvd shrink or dvd deycripter personally. I am in the LONG process of ripping all my 250 dvd's to hard drive, but with dvd shirk it does go pretty fast.

I rip as the regular dvd file format and keep full dvds for some and rip out extras and menus on others to save space. The benifit of using the dvd format is it keeps the files universally readable for other players such as networked dvd players, UPNP players like the dlink dsm-320. Just generally more usable. BUT the files are large! about 6 gigs per movie if you dont use compression.
ctown6412, I have DVD Decrypter and use it and AutoGK to shrink down some DVDs. What method do you use when using DVD Decrypter to extract the movie? Is it the same way as Poolshark where you extract it to ISO?

One method that I've been looking for is a way to extract the movie (even in full) and not have to worry about 3rd party applications like Daemon tools in order for it to be seen in MCE. My main predicament is that my MCE is in a very ackward location and has s-video to my 48" RPTV. The screen looks horrible for fonts and stuff as you can imagine and using a wireless keyboard/mouse combo to load up a movie is not very wife friendly. The wife absolutely loves the Xvids I've made of the kid's movies and the simplicity of loading them up in MCE for him to watch with a remote. What would make me happy is if I could somehow get the entire DVD on there a la RatDVD but sadly RatDVD and MCE are not compatible (great program btw). BTW, I have used Daemon tools to load up ISOs and watch movies which is pretty cool. Sadly I have to use the mouse to load it up in Daemon tools whenever I have to change the ISO image to another movie.

Thoughts? Should I just stick to what I'm currently doing or are there any tips I'm missing?

Lobo
post #43 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-14, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark
I installed it tonight and though I haven't fooled around with it yet it is not compatible with the current version of MCE PowerToys. So if any of you are using it like I was, be prepared for it to break things like disabling the debounce feature for remotes.

Lobo
post #44 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-17, 02:03 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Reporting OTA bugs in MCE

If you're having trouble with OTA in MCE here's a thread for bug reports: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=32067

post #45 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-18, 01:54 PM

Did anyone read the release notes on ATI's newest Catalyst drivers?

Display Control Panel Extension Enhancements for Windows XP MCE

The Catalyst™ software suite 5.10 introduces enhancements for the display control panel extensions for Windows XP MCE. Enhancements include the following:

* Placing the ATI Setting within the Windows XP MCE main menu
* A display resolution slider bar with preset display resolutions of 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p
* Adjust picture to fit your desktop display
* Ability to force display with current settings for display devices with incomplete or with an inaccurate EDID

Seems pretty good to me. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in