MCE Users Thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-23, 01:38 PM

Question on compression with dvd rips

Sorry if this is a bit over the board, just have so many questions.

Okay I just tried to rip one of my dvds last night to my hard drive to use with MYMOVIES plugin. I tried both dvd shrink and dvd decrypter to rip with use NO compression. This gave me about 7gigs with dvd shrink and about 8 with dvd decrypter(I just removed all the extra languages when I used shrink) Now even if i just rip the audio and video for the movies itself and not all the extras I will be at about 5-6 gigs.

Now I playback on a 100in screen so I really wanted to keep the best possible quality video but I think that with these sizes that might be a bit prohibative seeing as even if i get them down to 5gigs each thats only 50 movies on a 250 hd and right now ive got over 200 to store as it is.

I want to try using compression into other video formats other than iso or ts files but I also need to keep 5.1 sound and give me the best picture with low artifacts so what are my best options? Or is it worth while just sticking with just straight 1:1 rips with no compression.

For current users what have you found to be the best compression codec and into what format? There are just so damn many to choose from!

TBD yet again :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-23, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

You can also try ripping the main movie file to video_ts with no compression, then use DIVX Pro 6 to create HD divx files at 1280X720. Should be around 2-3GB file size and quality is apparently stunning. Check avsforum.com for some more info on re-encoding to DIVX HD.

fish

Roger Cable 3250HD | JVC AV48WP | Panasonic DVDRP-82 | Kenwood VR-509 | XBOX
post #18 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-25, 02:54 PM

MYMOVIES and compression

MYMOVIES and compression,

well just thought I would drop an update. I have tried a few compression programs and after testing out the video I have decided that the loss in video quailty was not worth it so Im going to stick with using dvdshrink and remove my extras or in some cases compress the extras , all languages that are not english and remove all the thx setup info, fbi warnings etc.. this is give me on average about 4-5gigs so far. I think for most movies I will rip just the movie and even take out the menus, especially for movies that I dont care about the extras like all the kids movies.

Now I think ill pick up an IO data network dvd player http://www.iodata.com/catalogs/AVLP2...lyer200505.pdf

post #19 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-29, 06:01 PM

Anyone having trouble getting certain Toronto/Buffalo channels OTA on their ATI HDTV Wonder under XP-MCE ?

I have the card in standalone mode (thanks to the kram drivers hack) and can receive many DTV stations including ones from Rochester but I can't pick up WNED for example which comes in really strong normally - it just says no signal detected.

I'm also using a Samsung STB, MyHD MDP-130 card on another PC, and ATI MMC DTV tuner application w/ the HDTVW card with the same antenna hookup and they all pick WNED up fine.

When setting up MCE I used a Niagara Falls, NY zip code and WNED 17-1 (1171) was already in the guide. Very weird!
post #20 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-29, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Use 29-1, frequency 29, or maybe frequency 17, try 29 first. It will work, 17-1 gives me the same issue.

fish

post #21 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-08-30, 09:12 AM

29-1 is WUTV (freqency 14)

I figured out the problem with WNED (PBS) - Microsoft puts it in as 17-1 which confused me at first since that is the channel's NTSC frequency, it can actually be found on 43-1 (frequency 43)

I've got all the local DTV feeds working on my MCE PC now, the guide data is another issue, eg. they don't have guide data for WNED-HD (43-1) only the analog channel programming which is found on 43-2 in SD. Oh well.

Anyone else w/ the ATI HDTV Wonder get the remote working under MCE? I tried just plugging it in, told it to get the driver from windows update and it found it but the remote didn't do anything - Is there a menu buried in the MCE setup for remote config? cause I couldn't find it. I then tried loading the Remote Wonder Plus software provided by ATI for Win XP (non MCE) which didn't do much for MCE except let me move the mouse cursor around.
post #22 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-09-01, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

There is a Remote Wonder hack that you can do to allow full control with the ATI remote. I'll dig up the instructions and report back sometime this weekend.

fish

post #23 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-09-01, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Anyone had any luck yet getting CTV? Still nothing on my end.

fish

post #24 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-09-06, 09:15 AM

Plutoz,

I thought the same thing regarding the Guide data for WNED HD. Turns out that they run the same schedule as another channel... WSTV or something like that. I can't remember but I set it up at home, works great.
post #25 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-09-06, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo
I thought the same thing regarding the Guide data for WNED HD. Turns out that they run the same schedule as another channel... WSTV or something like that. I can't remember but I set it up at home, works great.
Kenbo, thanks for the tip. I don't recall seeing WSTV in the list of available channels to pick for guide data. What area does that station broadcast from and what zipcode did you use to set up guide data? I used a Niagara Falls, NY one.
post #26 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-09-06, 02:22 PM

It's in the Rogers Digital listing actually. I'll double check the call letters when I get home tonight.
post #27 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-03, 01:57 AM

Plutos, you need to use the program called RW Key Master. It alows you to do everything with the remote like an mce one, except the letter input.
post #28 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-08, 04:04 PM

MCE Config Questions

I recently purchased a MCE computer and I'm trying to figure it out. I hope someone can help answer a few questions.

- Is it possible to configure MCE to bypass the user login screen and go directly to Media Centre at boot up? How?

- Is it possible to modify the Media Centre main menue? I don't plan on listening to the radio through Media Centre. Can I remove "Radio" from the Media Centre menue? How?
post #29 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-08, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBOB
I recently purchased a MCE computer and I'm trying to figure it out. I hope someone can help answer a few questions.

- Is it possible to configure MCE to bypass the user login screen and go directly to Media Centre at boot up? How? see the following link http://8help.osu.edu/2063.html

- Is it possible to modify the Media Centre main menue? I don't plan on listening to the radio through Media Centre. Can I remove "Radio" from the Media Centre menue? How?
Just right click and hit delete on the entries that you dont want. IF that does not work then in windows explorer go to C:\Documents and Settings\what ever your user name is\Start Menu\Programs and delete the entry from there.

post #30 of 194 (permalink) Old 2005-10-10, 02:38 PM

Thanks ctown, The auto login works great. I think I might not have asked my second question clearly. I followed your instructions and was able to remove a menu option from the Windows XP start menue. I would like to be able to remove a menue option within the Media Centre application. Is this possible?

I'd also like to be able to set the TV window aspect ratio to 16x9 and reduce the amount of time Media Cebter buffers TV. It takes about 10 seconds for a channel change on my expressvu to show up on my computer screen. Is it possible to adjust these types of settings?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in