Amazon Fire TV stick? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-12, 04:43 PM

And now, it looks like the fun is about to start. I moved my Fire Stick from my secondary TV (close to the wifi router) to my primary TV (further away from the router). The reason I did this is that my Apple TV, which used to be connected to my primary TV, really started acting up on wifi connection. Even very close to the router, Apple TV was buffering a lot, dropping video resolution down at the same time. It was going on for a few days, so I decided to try direct Ethernet connection, which is only close to my secondary TV. That works fine. But since now I had to move the Fire Stick to my primary TV (where Apple TV used to be), Fire Stick started experiencing wifi connection issues (never seen before, when it was closer to the router).

It is pretty weird. For example, yesterday it was running without a glitch, but today it wouldn't connect to anything ("no network connection" error) for a good few hours, and then it came back a few hours later, streaming everyting perfectly. I have been checking wifi signal strength in both cases, when it works and when it doesn't, and there hasn't been a significant difference, if any. Netspot app reports between -52 and -55 dBm, and everything else works fine. Boosting the wifi signal, with the addition of a wifi extender may (or may not) be the solution, but I'm trying not to waste any more money, because everything else is working fine, the way it is now. It appears that wifi is one of the main Fire Stick issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 08:12 AM

I would think your problem is an overstuffed wifi channel.

In my case, I was having all sorts of WiFi issues while my router was set to select its channel automatically. What I did was run an android app to find a less travelled wifi channel. I changed to that channel and haven't looked back.

Then my daughter had a similar issue in her home. I did the same thing to her setup and she's also very happy with the result.

We both are using Firestick 4Ks also.

Phil
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 02:40 PM

I was using my Fire Stick (basic, not 4K) for about 3 months in a room closer to the router. Not a single problem there, never lost connection. The same day (just 2 days ago) I moved it to a different room, which is a bit further away from the router, these problems started. Signal strength is still very good (around 50 dBm, never over 55 dBm), but not as good as at its original location, where wifi signal is in the low 30 dBm. I had to move my Fire Stick here, because of issues that started showing on my Apple TV, as explained in the original post. Whatever channel my router is using, it is the same as it used to be, when Fire Stick did not have any problems. The only thing that changed is that it now works in the area where the wifi signal strength is in the 50's, instead of 30's dBm. 50-60 dBm is still considered to be a very good signal, but it appears that the Fire Stick does not think so. I am afraid that the only solution I have will be to somehow boost the wifi signal. I have an old Linksys router somewhere, so maybe I'll try and see if I can use it as a wifi repeater. Frankly, I don't think that the wifi antennas in this Fire Stick are that great.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 08:33 PM

@DonR

I don't know if my experience will help you, but here goes. I had 3 Basic Fire Sticks. The network is Google wifi mesh. The Fire Stick was 3 feet from the node. Everythng was working fine until one day it played about a minute of recording and then reported that my connection was too slow. Restarted the Fire Stick with the same result. Moved another Fire stick in its place and it worked fine. I assumed that the Fire Stick has failed so I ordered a replacement. Once I had 3 working again, I tried a factory reset on the "defective" one. Everything worked fine again, even further from the mesh node.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 11:50 PM

Yeah, I can try a factory reset, but I have a feeling that it won't help. As I said, these issues only started when I moved it from a room where the wifi signal is 30-35 dBm, to the room where it is 50-55 dBm. Looks like I'll have to move it back, as the first step in troubleshooting, and see if it will go back to normal. What is not helpful is the fact that it may work fine for a few hours, and then start losing network connection every few minutes, or even more frequently (something I have never seen in the stronger wifi signal area).
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 04:21 PM

A quick update: I just realized that my Fire TV Stick was connecting to 5G wireless network, which worked perfect in the old, but not so much in the new location. I thought I changed it to 2.4 GHz in the settings, but it looks like I was wrong. Today I checked the settings, and it was connected to 5 Ghz. Since my 5 GHz signal sometimes goes over 60 dBm (close to 70) in this room, that may have been my only problem. I changed it to 2.4 GHz (typically between 45-50 dBm) and it seems to be running steady now, without any glitches. I still think that these wifi antennas are not the best they could be, but this may just work.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-24, 05:03 PM

And one more quick update. Even using 2.4 GHz network, Fire Stick was still struggling sometimes. In the middle of watching something, it would lose connection. Everything else in the same room works without any problem, either on 5 Ghz, or 2.4 GHz network.

I purchased one of those wifi extenders (2.4 GHz only) and now Fire Stick seems to be working without any issues. The "extended" wifi signal is about 15-20 dBm stronger than the regular 2.4 GHz network. It is typically around 30-35 dBm, versus 50-ish dBm, without the boost. While even 50-60 dBm should be more than enough for smooth streaming, obviously Fire Stick needs much stronger signal. Why is that so, I don't know, but I hope I have solved the problem...unfortunately, with some more money spent.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-07-05, 11:50 PM

And one more update, hopefully the final one.

Even the wifi extender I mentioned in my last post did not solve the problem. While the signal was very strong (30-35 dBm), the Firestick was still losing connection very frequently. So, I did some more research and found some useful info on the web. Apparently, Firestick only supports channels 36-48 on 5GHz, and if the router is set to auto, it seems that anytime the channel is not within this range, Firestick will automatically try to switch to 2.4 GHz, and go back to 5GHz when the channel is back to 36-48 range.

So, the recommendation was to change the 5GHz channel, from auto to anything between 36-48, and also rename the SSID of the 2.4GHz network to something different.

This whole thing did not make much sense to me (especially renaming the 2.4GHz SSID), but I decided to give it a try. It was working fine for a few days, so I returned the wifi extender, previously purchased. This was all about a month ago, or so. My Firestick still works fine on 5GHz network. Hopefully, that's it.

I still can't figure out why the Firestick worked without a flaw, a few months ago, when it was much closer to the router, without me having to change the router settings. The problems only started when I had to move it to a room with somewhat weaker wifi coverage.

I'm posting this here in hopes that this info will be useful to anybody having the same connectivity issue. Changing the 5GHz channel to 36-44, instead of auto may be the solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in