Raspberry Pi 2 instead of HTPC - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-06, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Lets get one thing straight. The Raspberry Pi 2 is a PC and when configured with Kodi is a HTPC. It's a very small, low cost solution but it's still a HTPC. Having gotten that off my chest...
haha, I was just about to post the same thing, it's been driving me nuts for 2 days lol

what kind of issues did you run into with Plex? I've had almost flawless Plex performance in the whole house since they figured out the issues with Samsung Smart hub (my tv; my 2 roku, ps4, xboxONE, various android tablets, phones and iPads and iPhones have been perfect)

I've been really thinking of trying a rasPLEX for the camper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-07, 09:45 AM
Veteran

Like I said, RasPLEX had performance issues (slow response) and locked up. That could just be due to local issues. Didn't really try to fix it since I prefer the Kodi interface. My PLEX server setup is still a work in progress. It works but not as I would like.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Follow up...

I found a situation where the RP2 would stop responding with OpenELEC. This was similar to what happened with RasPLEX and could explain the issues experienced with it. Playing recorded ATSC TV files is very CPU intensive and can consume 100% of the CPU. As a result, the RP2 can stop responding. Playback continues but controls such as stopping or pausing are no longer possible. This is quite common with lightweight hardware such as that used in the RP2. It's because MPEG4 decoding is supported in video hardware but MPEG2 decoding is not. For that it relies on the CPU. Large, high definition MPEG2 files often fail to play back on such devices. The RP2 does well by playing the files flawlessly. It sometimes fails to respond to USB keyboard events when playback is in progress.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 09:36 AM
Veteran

When my Rpi2 was still working, playing ATSC wouldn't make a dent in CPU utilization. If you have the Mpeg Codec license, I am guessing openelec sw you are using either isn't setup correctly for it or has a bug...
I wasn't using openelec. Just linux.

Do you have omxplayer installed and have you used it? It's a player that is capable of using the GPU.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
If you have the Mpeg Codec license,
That may be the issue. Will look into it.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 03:37 PM

I was going to say, just force transcoding and put the heavy lifting on your server
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 04:56 PM
Veteran

I considered that but have yet to find media server software that performs the way I like. As it is, I'd rather have the RPi2 GPU do the heavy lifting it was designed to do. It's also a lot more power efficient than doing it on the server CPU. The RPi2 CODECs cost about $4. I could have spent the money in worse ways.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-24, 09:48 PM
Veteran

Psyched.. Bought a 3rd sdcard, tossed a pi image on it and it booted right up. So, seems I have not one but two sdcards with some bad bits...
that otherwise work fine on other devices that boot up off of sdcards.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-08-24, 10:23 PM
Veteran

Try doing a full format. Another possibility is that they are too slow. Class 10 is recommended.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in