Decisions decisions: Media streaming options - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-05-22, 12:31 AM
Veteran

Kodi has some very good built in CODECs and they are preconfigured. That's one of the reasons I like it. Other software, like MediaPortal and NextPVR requires additional CODECs that must be configured separately. Configuring CODECs is a bit of a black art at times. If you choose the right ones and configure them properly, they work well. If not, then they don't and can cause lots of issues. Not sure what the Plex player has since I've never used it. However, the Plex server does media transcoding on the fly. If the media CODEC is not handled by the player, or even if the Plex server thinks it isn't, the Plex server will perform media transcoding "on the fly." That can be a very CPU intensive task and it can lead to delays when functions like skip or fast play are used. Don't know exactly what is going on there but that's what I suspect. It might be worthwhile to take a look at what processes are causing CPU activity in Task Manager.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-05-22, 11:15 AM
Veteran

Maybe older versions of plex did it?

I am running my PMS on my 'server' box. Quad core 3.0 AMD, 8g ram.
Idle (with whatever was just running on the server), was at 13% cpu and 3g of ram used.

Streaming a 1080p video, 5.1 sound (obviously the apple is not using that, but its what its encoded in).
Cpu only ever went up to 16%. Memory up to about 3.6g

So it may be dependent on what hardware your running PMS on..
As well, how/what your outputting. Generally for the iOS devices.. I have found NO NEED for transcoding. Transcoding would take up MUCH more CPU usage.

My Samsung TV, has an issue with the encoded subtitles on the anime I watch in MKV containers running as just a stream. (everything else streams fine).
Those I do need to turn transcoding on. I would have to see what the usage jumps up to.

But myself have never had really an issue with FF/RW... but again, maybe the difference of transcoding/not effecting it.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-05-22, 09:53 PM
Veteran

That's exactly the issue. If everything is already transcoded into MPEG4 or whatever the player requires, everything will be fine. Attach a media player device that needs MPEG4, point it at an MPEG2 or other format file and transcoding will kick in. Note everyone's media library is neat and tidy. Some DVDs need to be ripped in their entirety due to complex menus and files from legacy MPEG2 capture devices can make transcoders choke.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-05-24, 12:28 AM

plex basically lives and dies with FFMpeg as the transcoder, I believe

the only time I've ever had issues with it was when trying to make it stream to a PSP's browser

everything else it's handled like a champ

to be fair, I do not try to maintain ISO's. I've never given a flip about chapters and stuff, and all the extras can just be handled by plex as separate files in the folder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in