SageTV - It's alive! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

SageTV - It's alive!

This HTPC forum is kind of dead these days but I know there are some former SageTV users around, and there may be some folks that stuck to it - like me.

The original developer of SageTV, Narflex, has just announced that SageTV will be Open Sourced in the near future. Hopefully a development community will coalesce and bring it back to vibrant life as it remains the best PVR solution despite having been in limbo for 3.5 years after being acquired by Google.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 11:01 PM
Veteran

It's nice to see SageTV made open source. Such a good product should not disappear. XBMC, now called KODI, MediaPortal and NPVR made some significant improvements while Sage was in limbo. I'm just glad I didn't buy Sage TV when I almost did, about 6 months before it was taken off the market.

I am still using HTPCs and in the process of upgrading one of them. I've yet to find an alternative that works as well. HTPCs keep getting better for less money.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 08:58 PM

I was also superclose to buying into sagetv after Microsoft started enforcing american recording blocking on canadian channels. cgms-a flag i think?

also it just got too stupidly hard to properly record HD shows, and no cable card here just ended all viability

and none of that's changed

it's unfortunately still way more feasible for me to rent the telco pvr than make it work on my own

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 12:06 AM
Veteran

Trusted platform for PCs never made much of a dent either. That should have made things like recording HD a lot easier but it has too many restrictions on programs like SageTV. They won't even license such technology to open source developers. I tried the Haupphauge HDPVR (which SageTV supports) but it's too glitchy. I fail to understand why my AVR can convert component video to HDMI almost instantly and without a hitch but the HDPVR is plagued by bad software, delays and things like bad audio sync. In any event, I'm interested in seeing what becomes of SageTV once it becomes open source.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-17, 11:25 PM
Veteran

Yep and now it's too late for trusted platform everyone has moved on. I still remember having a couple of heated conversations with Shaw over CableCARD and QAM. Still makes my blood boil lol!

Nice to hear about Sage. I was always more of a Media Center user, still am, but did play with Sage at one time. With Media Center very long in the tooth and now on the ropes with Windows 10, It would be great for Sage to make a comeback and pick up the slack.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Fantastic news!

I dropped SageTV after Google purchased the product and moved (back) to WMC and Xbox 360 extenders. I'm imagining that in the future I'm going to move to some sort of Universal App based front end (and just use HTPCs or a future revision of the Xbox One at all my TVs). Maybe SageTV will end up being the back-end for that sort of arrangement.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The HD-PVRS was flaky for some and solid for others. I have been running a SageTV system with two HD-PVRs since late 2008 with only a few issues - mainly caused by capacitor plague in the wall warts. It has been a great system and I have eight Sage extenders around the house at each TV to play back recorded TV and other video content.

The extenders were/are one of the best things about SageTV and there is talk about what to use for extenders in the future - an upgraded extender, a RPi2, Roku, etc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 11:30 AM
Veteran

I want a SageTV extender app written as a Universal/Metro app, which can run on Windows desktop/tablet/phone and on a Xbox One.

And for the love of god, don't use Java for it. The fact that SageTV was written in Java was probably the biggest wart in the whole setup. I want to minimize the use of the JVM wherever possible.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
The HD-PVRS was flaky for some and solid for others
Mine was pretty good, but just couldn't justify the cost of a bunch of them, compared to the company pvr

that reminds me, I should haul it out and sell it or something. it's just collecting dust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in