AverMedia Capture Box C283S - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2015-02-11, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

AverMedia Capture Box C283S

I've been searching for a replacement for my finicky Vulkano Lava, and stumbled across the AverMedia Capture Box C283S. It's EXACTLY what I'm looking for... a HDTV recorder that records to an internal hard drive, in a format that's already playable on a computer, and the TV shows can be removed simply by copying the recordings to a USB.

It's TOO good to be true.

Anyone have experience with this particular device? Are AverMedia products decent?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2015-02-13, 12:56 PM
Veteran

I haven't heard anything bad about Avermedia brand, but do not have personal experience.

IMO it is half a DVR though. Although it records, and supposedly plays, the other half is selecting what to record and when, and controlling the channel changing and recording timing in one reasonably easy to use interface.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2015-02-13, 09:52 PM

I've been using an Avermedia 281 for the past few months to back up recordings from my Nextbox 3. The 281 doesn't have the scheduling capability of the 283, but otherwise offers the same MP4 recording.

I don't use an internal drive, but just record to an external USB drive. Every few days I move the drive to a computer and copy the recordings to my DLNA server for backup and later viewing.

Since I've been worried about having to reset the Nextbox and lose all the recordings, I copy recordings that my spouse hasn't had time to watch so she can view them later. The video quality of the recordings has been good, but I seem to lose the full surround sound in the audio.

So far I've got about 700GB copied with no problems. Each hour of HDTV produces about a 5GB file.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in