Home Sharing USB Attached Content - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-02, 02:04 PM

dgm, curious does this software run on your WD media players so you can search? and does it run on other media players such as Roku?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-02, 02:17 PM
Veteran

Most media servers have a "watched" toggle. I find this really useful for TV series. Mark episodes as watched and the next time you bring up that series, the next episode will automatically come up.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-02, 02:37 PM
Veteran

Most media players have a similar feature. Kodi (formerly XBMC) also has the ability to track files using a common database, mimicking a media server that does the same. Being able to pause on one player and resume from the same spot on another is also a useful feature implemented in Kodi. Not sure which media servers do this. BTW, many media players, like Kodo, also do cataloging or indexing from multiple sources. It's not exclusive to media servers.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-02, 04:49 PM

The program is called Kodi, not Kodo.

The ability to resume on different players where you left off is pretty common among many media servers but obviously requires a central source that communicates with all devices.

Both Plex and Kodi are excellent programs.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-03, 08:12 AM
dgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetware View Post
dgm, curious does this software run on your WD media players so you can search? and does it run on other media players such as Roku?
"Everything" search runs on the PC (continuously indexing directory changes). It has a webserver built in so that I query and display the search from an iPad or iPhone browser in the TVroom for searching, when I can't remember where something is. Most of my viewing is from the WDplayer and most of the content is from the "recent" folder so a search is not often necessary. (The PC and the main TVroom are at opposite ends of the house.)

The WD players' search capability is uneven at best, I always work from the alphabetic file/folder list at the TV

On another point raised above, the WDplayer remembers where you are in an episode so that you can "resume" later. Use that a lot.

XBMC (now Kodi) also works well with the windows file sharing, I prefer it to the WDplayer except for the remote which I find awkward.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-03, 08:15 AM

+1 for Plex. Server (in my case a Mac mini) runs on many platforms, client on many devices (in my case multiple Roku's, iPad's, iPhone's). My server has 5 drives (12 TB) connected to it. Movies, video, photo, and music. Plus you can queue on-line video's for play. Sure it costs, but it is worth every penny. My family uses it every day. I bought the lifetime license because I expect to use it for a long time.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-03, 10:43 AM
Veteran

I would agree with plex (or something similar) just for organizational reasons.
Yes would take a little initial setup..
But overall in general, to find stuff would be easier quite possibly.
(EG: If you have a MOVIES folder on drive A.. its full, now you have one on B, etc.. which drive was witch on, etc?)

Sure you can use something simple like DLNA.. but again comes down to where stuff it.
Something like Plex, will give you a nice front end interface, pulling from MULTIPLE sources for one category.

(there are other options like XMBC as well.. it has more 'channel' options I think for other sources.. but for the MEDIA setup/cataloging portion.. I found it took much longer to tweek it)

----------

As for the hardware.

If you are going to use all the external drives (and not consolidate to a NAS, etc).

You don't want to get something TOO basic.. but you don't need to go overboard either.
Depending on your playback devices, they may need transcoding or not.. transcoding takes stress off the end device and it doesn't have to do any decoding.. but it makes the 'server' work and do it. So don't want to get TOO simple.

As for connecting the drives.
I forget who said it on the previous page (exdilbert?) but I 100% agree on getting USB cards for the PC (ontop of whatever ports are built in), and to NOT go with hubs.
Even with USB 3.0 hubs.. you are creating a more potential bottleneck with filtering through... if one person is drawing off dive A and another file off of B through the same hub.. MIGHT experience some issues.
Better of to shorten the path, remove as much bottleneck situations as possible.

(my current setup, desktop PC, with 2x 2tb drives in them for media. Each of them has the same folder structure.. so some movies could be on both drives.. but plex just points to the two folders for one category. I DO have usb drives attached.. but I do not use them for media serving.. so cant comment on their quality for doing so. Mine are used solely for BACKUP/Duplication of the media drives.)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-03, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The basic server is free, are the TVersity and Serviio servers. Of the three, the Plex "pro" version is by far the most expensive. The free Plex server is also more crippled than the other two, with fewer working features.
what are you talking about? 95% of the functionality is in the free version, and if you're not a commuter looking to sync content to a tablet/phone then 99% of the functionality is free

I would also never put plex and serviio/tversity in the same category. Plex is head and shoulders above those

but back on topic, the reason to use a media server is to put the heavy lifting on the server, and letting you use really low powered boxes as clients

if you've got something attached to your tv already that does the hard work, then yeah, it totally doesn't matter if you want plex or not
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-03, 11:29 PM
Veteran

When I looked at Plex, it seemed there were some significant issues. One I recall was lack of transcoding with the free version. Maybe that's changed or maybe I am mistaken. Mainly, I remember that it was going to cost a lot of money to do what I wanted. TVersity and Serviio do what I want without the extra cost. In addition, they cost about half as much for the Pro version. Plex may be a better product overall. I was just put off with the limitations at the time I tried it and the cost. The other thing that struck me was that a lot of the features in Plex Pass were useless to Canadians unless they wanted to play around with getting US accounts and using proxies.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 09:10 AM
Veteran

I have been using plex for.. 4+ years now? And its always done transcoding with the Free.

The only thing that the 'paid' plex gives you is:
Sync.. both to remote devices (download to them) and cloud syncing capabilities
auto camera upload (big woopdee do, do it manually)
and EARLY ACCESS to new releases and APPS.
(eg: right now, the xbox, PlayStation and vizio TV apps are ONLY to plex pass people)

I currently have about 2.5tb shared via the server on a PC... with the PC client on my media PC in the basement setup (free), the Samsung app on my main TV (free).
Only things I have paid for, is $2.50 when on sale for the iOS app (which works on both ipad and iPhone), and $1.99 for the window 8 app.

GDKitty
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I have been using plex for.. 4+ years now? And its always done transcoding with the Free.
Yeah, Plex has always transcoded. Kodi and Plex are great products but the major reason many of us settled on Plex was its support for so many devices and a central media repository.

Up until recently the free version did everything the paid version did. I bought the PLEX PASS because I wanted the to support the project and it looked like I might want some of the new paid features. Truth is, I don't think I use the paid features (list of differences here )but still one of the best $80 software / services purchase I have ever made.

My household has multiple Roku's, HTPC, several other PC's, Android Phone, Win Tablet and many iOS devices all using Plex.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 01:30 PM

What exactly is Plex sync? Right now with the free versions I have installed on my devices, I can already pause on one device and pick-up where I left off on another. All the content from my server appears everywhere as well already. So I'm not sure what else there is?
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I am regretting not getting it at $80 before the price hike :P

GDKitty
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 01:36 PM

Quote:
What exactly is Plex sync?
Ability to sync media from your plex server to a smartphone or tablet so you can playback your media when you're not at home.

Personally, I have found Plex Sync to be poorly implemented and prefer to use Air Video for syncing to my tablet.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 03:24 PM

Ok, but I can already playback my media remotely on my smartphone or tablet though, using the free versions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in