Wireless question - cable to HDTV tuner - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-01-02, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Location: Ridgeway, ON Cogeco Cable ::::::: Panasonic TC-P50S1
Question Wireless question - cable to HDTV tuner

Sometimes you realize you're getting old and out of touch. This is one of those times.

I'm moving things around in the house and running coax to where I want my TV is going to be a major PITA. Up one floor and the opposite side of the house. So, is there a device that will connect the coax cable running into the hose, wirelessly, to my HDTV tuner? Basically, something that works like the wi-fi I have for internet, but for cable TV. I have Cogeco HDTV if that matters.

Forgive me if this should be obvious but I've been searching for hours and the although I've discovered all sorts of wonderful wireless devices I didn't know existed, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Last edited by zirG; 2015-01-02 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-01-03, 12:35 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Why not call Cogeco to fish or route the required coax, perhaps around the outside of the home in a discreet way? This may cost very little or even nothing...

I don't think you're allowed to transmit the signals that are in Cable TV as it can cause interference with others. Even a leaking cable can be an issue.

What some people have done is purchase an HDMI transmitter to put downstream of a STB, but that's not cheap and may not work for a large distance. You'd also need to control the STB.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-01-03, 12:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Forgive me if this should be obvious but I've been searching for hours and the although I've discovered all sorts of wonderful wireless devices I didn't know existed, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
That's because very little equipment, if any, to do this exists. The bandwidth used by cable would be impractical to transmit over a wireless connection. Their are wireless HDMI transmitters, for a single video signal, but they are expensive and may not work well for the required distance through the house. Then there is the issue of controlling the STB remotely. Running the cable outside the house is not always pretty but usually the easiest way. A good installer will use a color of coax that doesn't contrast too much and is concealed if possible. A good electrician could probably run the coax inside the house but it won't be cheap.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-01-03, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Location: Ridgeway, ON Cogeco Cable ::::::: Panasonic TC-P50S1
Thanks guys!

While it's not the answer I was hoping for it is good to know that I was in fact searching for something that does not exist. Or at least something that is not practical. So it's back to old-school coax cable fishing. That, I do have experience with! Running it outside might be the best solution.

I really do appreciate the responses. Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in