Best Way to View Digital Copies of BD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Best Way to View Digital Copies of BD

Hey all,

I have been using my USB memory stick for a loooong time now, copying the digital copies of BD onto it, then using it through a TV (that doesn't have BD capability, before anybody asks!!) to watch the digital copy.

I'm pretty sure that this is by now a very antiquated way of doing it! So, my question is, "What is the best way of viewing these types of files? Is there a way of hooking up something that I can download the digital copy to (so would need internet connection) and then view it on my TV?

I currently download the digital copy onto my laptop, transfer it to the USB stick, and then stick that into my TV.

Thanks in advance.
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 09:14 AM
Veteran

I too do it this way, I would love to save them to some kind of shared drive on my lap top or some kind of networked NAS or NDAS storage and i really wished my blue ray supported DNLA so i could stream it over the network ,but the new blue ray devices are getting cheaper and cheaper not just in price but in terms of connections so it will be a downgrade for me instead of an upgrade
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 09:15 AM
Veteran

im also sure a crome cast or some kind of WDTV Live box or apple tv or Rokku would be able to scour your home network, find the files and play them back on your TV

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 09:41 AM

There are a couple of options once you copy the digital copy to your PC.

1) Plug your PC into your TV using an HDMI cable (assuming your PC or Laptop has an HDMI connector).

2) Check if your TV supports DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance). This is fairly common in newer TVs and even some older TVs like Samsung. The TV may support this feature even if it's not officially labelled as a "smart TV."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 12:16 PM
Veteran

If the TV supports DLNA, using a DLNA media server is the best method. A couple of good media servers are Serviio and TVersity. There are many others but those have free versions and work well. If the TV does not support DLNA, using a media player is the next best option. There are hundreds on the market so some research is required. Anything from a HDMI stick (like Google Chrome or Amazon Fire TV Stick), to a dedicated media player (like the WDTV Live) to a PC (laptop or dedicated HTPC with a HDMI port) will work. Some of those will work with or without a DLNA server and will play files directly over the network.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. My TV is a Samsung PN50C550G1F, which does support DLNA. I used the Samsung AllShare software when I first got the TV, but it was 'rubbish' and often wouldn't work properly!

I'm going to go away and give Serviio and TVersity a try and see how that works.

I'll let you know.
Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

**UPDATE**

Serviio seems to be working a charm, on most files! It's playing 'most' types of files (.mp4, .mkv, .avi etc), but I do get the odd problem with some files (of varying file extensions) when it pops up with, "Not Supported Audio Codec", and then it freezes. I then have to reboot everything to get it working again. Could it be just that file, as it doesn't seem to be linked to any particular file type?

Now to get it working through my amp, and setup my all-in-one controller!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 09:25 PM
Veteran

You might want to check for the recommended video CODECs to install on the server. Also, make a note of the failed audio types and look for CODECs that play those types. AC3Filter and/or FFMPEG might work. Another I've seen recommended is LAV Filters. With CODECs, less is usually better so don't install too many at once. Too many can cause conflicts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 01:08 PM

omg

PLEX

the answer to every question on how to get video onto a tv

plex
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Plex is worth a look. My take on it was <PLEX, OMG, expensive, try something else> The free server has limited functionality. The pro version has a monthly, annual or (expensive) lifetime subscription. As that weren't enough, they want more money for the apps. A significant portion of the premium content the pro version unlocks has limited availability in Canada so that's wasted money. I wasn't really impressed with the free server but, like I said, it's worth a look.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-24, 09:48 PM

what are you talking about? the free server does not have limited functionality

the only thing you gain access to with subscription is early builds, and ability to sync content to devices (which to me mostly goes against what plex does anyways)

you get full media options with the free version, and you can use plex web to try out the client before committing to paying for clients (and if you go plex pass, you get free clients..)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-25, 11:14 AM

The only thing about Plex, it can't play the following formats:

<crickets chirping>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in