Question about Slingbox - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-10-20, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Question about Slingbox

I'm looking at getting a slingbox in order to get cable to another TV in my house where I don't want to run any cable to. The TV is in a temporary spot for about 4 months. I'm converting my garage to a family room so the TV will go in there and I may or may not run a cable out there. If not I'll continue using the slngbox.
I have Rogers cable. I am looking at the 350 and 500. I don't need the wifi as the slingbox will be in the same room as the router and cable box. So the only benefit of the 500 is the HDMI. Will all or any of the channels work through the HDMI? Or are they encrypet? If only a few channels work through the HDMI maybe it isn't worth it to spend the extra on the 500. Hopefully someone here knows the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-10-20, 10:30 AM

I can't answer how many of Rogers' channels are encoded with HDCP. But to be on the safe side, why not just plan to use the component cable ports for input? That's what I do with my BellTV and it all works flawlessly...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-10-20, 12:08 PM

I have one of the original Slingbox units and while they allow the viewing of a TV channel you need to watch the same channel the TV in the other room watches. If you change channels with the Slingbox then it changes the channel on the other TV.

I use to use mine while travelling using hotel internet to connect and watch my home TV.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-10-20, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes thats fine. I'll be putting the slingbox on the cable box in my office. No one but me ever watches that TV and I seldom watch it. Won't need it at the same time as the other TV.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-10-20, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post
I can't answer how many of Rogers' channels are encoded with HDCP. But to be on the safe side, why not just plan to use the component cable ports for input? That's what I do with my BellTV and it all works flawlessly...
Then I may as well save the money and get the 350 instead of the 500.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in