Need advice on new HTPC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on new HTPC

I've read lots on here and find there are varying options on these types of machines so I am looking for specific advice on my setup if possible

I have a WHS 2011 server serving up 18 TB of media (music, rips of my dvd, and recorded tv) and I have always had a Window pc running media center which server up data to my three xbox 360 extenders.

My setup works great for what we need as I use MY MOVIES software to rip all our dvd to the server, it sources all information and it's imedeiately available to my extenders...when my windows pc is working of course.

I have replace my main windows media center pc three times in the past five years and am thinking I don't want to have the server and the media center pc on at all times.

Looking at ditching my pc and extenders and going for three of these

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayP...9453445&sr=1-7

Anything I am missing? They would really only be there to run windows 8 media center as my wife and I LOVE mymovies.dk (Mymovies software) and have not yet found anything that matches this software.

Is this enough to watch blu-ray rips, sitting on the server, (all hardwired cat 6 cable and gigabit routers)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 11:44 PM

RE: BD rips playback.
Yes, NUCs (and Gigabyte alternative BRIX) will bitstream BD rips.
But it's overkill if media playback is the only task...

RE: MyMovies alternatives
I switched to Media Browser a few years ago
http://mediabrowser.tv/
Haven't used Win8.

Why did you replace the MC computer so often?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 04:51 AM

Media browser is great. Plex wtfpwns it though

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by four View Post
RE: BD rips playback.
Yes, NUCs (and Gigabyte alternative BRIX) will bitstream BD rips.
But it's overkill if media playback is the only task...

RE: MyMovies alternatives
I switched to Media Browser a few years ago
http://mediabrowser.tv/
Haven't used Win8.

Why did you replace the MC computer so often?
I like Mymovies because anyone in the house can out a dvd in the drive and walk away. It's fully automated and shows in our database on all extenders almost immediately. It also is great for our tv series dvd sets breaking the series into their respective shows. Their meta data database is amazing too. Is media browser able to do this?

Not sure why but the pc gas been giving me lots of problems and I've been burning video cards and mother boards often. Just replaced parts not really the whole computer. But I an at the point where it's acting up again so I am thinking about getting rid of the extenders also.

What do you mean this is overkill for my situation? I can use a smaller nuc?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 09:54 AM

If MyMovies works for you - why not stick to it?
Having 18TB of media for it is investment enough to try make it work.

I switched to Media Browser (when it was called Video Browser) when MyMovies couldn't do series...

Failing computer parts at this rate is NOT normal. It might be an overheating issue...

RE: overkill.
Yes. Unless you need PC functionality in each playback location, NUC/BRIX is too powerful. And expensive.
Have a look at Raspberry Pi and XBMC. It might not do all BDs but certainly will handle everything else with ease...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Well the 18tb of media can be used with anything I am just looking to have something bother than the xbox at each tv. We live the media center Mymovies interface and really want to stick to it. Does media browser all automated copy and how is the visual interface at the tv? We are open to lots of change but I think the fact my wife loves the Mymovies interface kind of leaves us stuck with windows media center on a pc or in the xbox.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 11:34 AM

RE: Automated copy.
I don't know, don't use it. I re-encode every movie - DVD or BD - using x264.
The 1:1 copy of them is for archiving and not handled by Video Browser.

Kaleidescape set the standard for GUIs like this and most do it...

Unless you have money to burn, I would not go the NUC route.
But NUCs will do everything you want to do...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help four. I will checkout raspberry pi before I decide
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 07:40 PM

Tony that is more expensive than the Raspbery but you are getting a lot more in it.

It is an actual PC that can accept a SSD Drive along with externals and has a PCIE Mini so you can update your wireless or video adaptor..

There are a few pretty decent unboxing and setups on YouTube for those devices and they go pretty deep so watch them.. one guy ran pure android on it and others run windows.

So its a full desktop.. which you can use for anything not just a media center.

The only problem I see with them is overheating so you really want to not place it on anything that gives off any heat and you need to give it lots of breathing room .. I would also suggest you add software to monitor its heat levels...

I had just an ITX sized computer and even with lots of cooling it still overheated and ended up eating two power supplies before I went back to MATX for my desktop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in