Cheapest stand alone device for Media Playback - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-19, 01:19 PM

Since you are running Plex at home already I would suggest using another Plex device and syncing your media to it , that way when you get home and allow it to sync again it should mark all that you watched and keep your library up to date. I di this with my Android phone but I could not se why this would not work with a Roku with thumb drive or micro SD slot

Hitachi 55HDT79, Yamaha RX-V540, Energy RC Mini's, and S8.3 sub, Roku 3, Plex , Couchpotato and Sickbeard Google TV GS8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-19, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsfake View Post
Since you are running Plex at home already I would suggest using another Plex device and syncing your media to it , that way when you get home and allow it to sync again it should mark all that you watched and keep your library up to date. I di this with my Android phone but I could not se why this would not work with a Roku with thumb drive or micro SD slot
Hmm.. that is true..

Though, would require paying the subscription fee for Plexpass though :P

(trying to keep costs as MINIMAL as possible... sort of broke the bank buying the trailer as it is :P)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-19, 09:17 PM
Veteran

I don't know about MKV's .

But I have a couple DVD players [Philips] that do CD, DVD, MP3, and one does DivX.

One Philips DVD player has a USB port input - to play from a memory stick.

Another Philips DVD player is dedicated to the stereo system cabinet.

Me? Copied bunch of MP3's to a CD recordable and made a printout of song lists.

Those DVD players can be found at most discount electronics stores for maybe 40 bucks or so.

I hooked up a small portable LCD screen tv to the yellow RCA video out, to work the menus and navigate the DVD controls at the audio system, independent of any TV or computer.

... and you get the remote with the DVD player to control things remotely.

Pretty cheap for the functionality you get. Widely available.
If it fails ... just replace with another similar, pretty inexpensively.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-19, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, I thought of that.. but its adding SIZE really with something like that.

With this being in the trailer.. space is a PREMIUM.. with something like a smaller media box, at least I could Velcro it to the back of the TV.

(IF I need DVDs.. I have a video out from the portable DVD player for the car)
(Yeah.. MKV's are an odd one out format wise :P.... not overly used in the REGULAR video circles... but HEAVILLY used in Anime rips.)

GDKitty
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-19, 10:50 PM
Veteran

In addition to Chromecast, there are lots of Miracast devices. They work the same but are not Google branded. As already mentioned, the media does not need to fit on the phone or tablet. It can be on a WiFi connected NAS and Plex supports a number of NAS devices. The media can also reside on USB flash drives or SD drives. Don't know if iPhones accept SD cards but a lot of phones and tablets do.

Android media players are one of the newest popular devices but my experience is mixed. They seem to do well with H.264 video files but not well with MPEG2 files. (The same goes for Chromecast.) That's because they usually have hardware H.264 decoding but only software decoding for MPEG2. Finding a good, versatile Android video play is a chore as well. XBMC is available but it tends to get bogged down on lightweight hardware. Provided the CPU is fast enough, XBMC seems to do OK with MKVs.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-20, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I only really have an android tablet.. everything else is IOS.
Which then is limited.. as there is no card slot So everything WOULD have to be stored on it.
(and don't want to have to bring a NAS or any other EXTRA stuff.. again space is a premium there)

I have shied away from android mostly so far for video playback.. while not bad.. with a DECENT processor tablet.. I ran into a myriad of problems.. some files OK with this software, others only on another, nothing seemed to be clean.
(plex player BARELY worked on it)

Have had very good luck so far on my iOS stuff.. plex runs flawlessly. For local copied content, VLC for iOS hasn't not been able to run anything I have thrown at it so far.

To bad TVs don't have airplay built in :P

GDKitty

Last edited by gdkitty; 2014-08-20 at 09:00 PM.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-20, 05:50 PM
Veteran

I vote for the wireless hard drive option and use a device you already have all the media stores nicely on the drive freeing up storage and management of that storage on your device. Short of that the Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc is the cheapest option. The only real issue with the Pi is controlling the interface. I use a diNovo Mini which is an expensive device. Wireless mouse or game controller perhaps?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-20, 11:40 PM
Veteran

However it breaks down, at least one box will be required for file storage. (It's either that or high speed internet which probably won't be available while camping.) Will it be a Media Player box with drive, a NAS box plus Mira/Chromecast or a box of USB flash drives for an Android tablet or TV?

Some media players take a hard drive but newer ones often don't. My Android player only takes SD and USB flash drives or external USB drives. That's two boxes.

USB flash drives are not the way I would go. They are tedious to write and flash is expensive.

Some NAS drives have a built in media player. (A WiFi NAS with media player might not be easy to find.) That's just one box. It will probably need a remote control. (A Chromecast or Miracast player for one that doesn't have a media player is fairly compact and tucks behind the TV so I'm not counting it as a box.) That's the way I would go. An iPhone should work well with either a Chromecast or Miracast device. Bonus: A NAS could serve as a backup for the Plex server when not being used for playing media.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-23, 12:02 AM

you might want to look at something like the Micca Speck it is a very basic player but it has good reviews. However I have seen some media players on deep markdown lately at tigerdirect I would suggest you review them and see if they have enough of what you need then wait for a sale.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-23, 01:56 AM

Dumy question. Rather than just a small TV why not JUST a laptop? That's what we do
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-23, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Why not a laptop? Thought of that too..

But its not quite as big as I want (again likely looking at 19-22")

I do have a 17" laptop.. but its my gaming laptop, worth about $2000.. not something I really want to leave in the trailer for potential theft, etc, even while we are out for the day.

GDKitty
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-23, 10:11 PM

found you one if Frys. com will ship to you they have a Diamond for $19 after rebate .. if you live in canada not sure the rebate is valid .. read before you buy frys. com/product/6231770
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 03:11 PM

xbmc on a pi or made in china android tv box, both are cheap and very low power consumption, pi for sure works on hdmi cec, and some of the andriod boxes due too.

Pi is simple cheap and for less than $100 you can get the pre setup with xbmc with a case power supply etc.

or just buy a tv you can put a jump drive into, I just like xbmc because it is so pretty.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in