Need help connecting to my XBMC server - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-07-10, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Need help connecting to my XBMC server

XMBC is running great on my HTPC ... I am now trying to access it via my ipad, but cant connect.
  • On my HTPC, I have XBMC 13.1 running on Win 8.1 Pro, all good. I have been through all the suggested settings re System/Services ( eg Allow Control of XBMC via HTTP, port 8080, etc .etc. ). I see XMBC listed in my Windows Firewall allowable apps.

• On the ipad2, in the XBMC Remote app (xbmcRemote), when I select FIND XBMC, it finds my XBMC server. I filled in the mac address, and matching user name and password (and reconfirmed the values with what XBMC shows (System/System Info/Network)
But when I try to connect, I get "No connection"

Other XBMC IOS apps are also not connecting ( XBMoteC, XBMC Toouch, xbmc Music Roete3) ; they are indicating they can find the server but cannot connect it.

Is there some mandatory router settings I also need to change ?? Or other settings I am missing? All devices are on the same subent / home network, and the iPad is of course accessing the XMBC server over Wi-Fi. I assume I therefore do not need port forwarding.

As a test I turned off Windows Firewall and Avast anti-virus ... made no difference.

What am I missing?

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-07-10, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Okay narrowed it down. I can connect through one of my access points ( older a dlink dir-655) , but cannot connect via my newer access point (Netgear Nighthawk R7000).

Now need to figure out why.

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-07-11, 12:43 PM

I would suggest statically assigning the IP address on your XBMC server and making sure the ports are open on both of your access points and pointing to that IP address. I assume your XBMC server and 2 access points are all on the same subnet? (ie 192.168.0.X)

HTH

Keith

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-07-11, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. All devices have static IP's and on the same subnet. what I ended up doing was toggling "access control" in the router from OFF to ON to OFF, and for some reason, that allowed the connection to occur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in