Best Option to Route OTA Signals? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-02, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Does the LAN cable from the HDHR has to be plugged in into my main router or anywhere in the home network? My main router is full all 4 jacks are taken but I have a gigabite switch in the entertainment room where I have my HTPC and my PS3 plugged in. Can I plug the ethernet cable from the HDHR in that switch? Would that make the HDHR part of the network that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-02, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Yes, RF Sensitivity. Basically when a tv or device scans is it able to pick up the channels with the weaker signals and are the channels stable / watchable. I have a similar setup to you for my OTA. Family doesn't use it in my case since discovering Hulu. I still do however for news hockey and other shows here and there.
I only care for a few OTA channels CBC, CTV, CITY TV and PBS and they are all solid. I have an outdoor antenna so I guess whatever comes in channel wise will be clean on the laptops, computers on the home network?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-03, 05:52 PM
eno

Hi audiotek2

I'm in a similar situation. Which HDHomerun device are you considering? I just started reading reviews on the HDHomerun Plus, but I haven't looked at all the other options.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-03, 07:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Does the LAN cable from the HDHR has to be plugged in into my main router or anywhere in the home network?
The HDHR can be connected anywhere on the LAN, including an unmanaged switch.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-04, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eno View Post
Hi audiotek2

I'm in a similar situation. Which HDHomerun device are you considering? I just started reading reviews on the HDHomerun Plus, but I haven't looked at all the other options.
i'm debating between the Prime and the Plus What are the main difference between the two?
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-04, 01:15 AM
eno

I don't believe the prime supports ota
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-04, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eno View Post
I don't believe the prime supports ota
I think you're right it works with a cable card!!!! The back of the unit has a RF connector but is it only for cable? I'm gonna go with the cheapest one I mainly want to watch OTA on all the laptops and computers in the house I don't care much for the recording.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-04, 05:27 PM
Veteran

The choice in Canada is basically between the Plus and the Dual. The Plus does MPEG4 compression. That's better for WiFi or remote streaming and it saves on disc space for recordings. The Dual just outputs the MPEG2 signal which is fine for a wired LAN. The Dual Gen 4 has a better tuner chip than the Dual Gen 3. Not sure what tuner chip is in the Plus.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-05, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The choice in Canada is basically between the Plus and the Dual. The Plus does MPEG4 compression. That's better for WiFi or remote streaming and it saves on disc space for recordings. The Dual just outputs the MPEG2 signal which is fine for a wired LAN. The Dual Gen 4 has a better tuner chip than the Dual Gen 3. Not sure what tuner chip is in the Plus.
Which one would be better in my case? i was planning to get the OTA RF signal straight into the HDHR (from a D.A) Most of my computers are hardwired LAN I don't care so much about recording OTA since I have XBMC . The main thing I want to do with the HDHR is to have OTA over all my computers and laptops on my network that's pretty much it.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-06, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Do computers and laptops also include phones and tablets? is so you will need the plus. The dual is more of a traditional computer OTA tuner which means you need client computer software such as Media Center, VLC, or other softare (XBMC?) to play it back.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-07, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Do computers and laptops also include phones and tablets? is so you will need the plus. The dual is more of a traditional computer OTA tuner which means you need client computer software such as Media Center, VLC, or other softare (XBMC?) to play it back.
Yes I have Iphone Ipad and Android tablet. I'm also running XBMC. So what you are saying is that the Plus more easily compare to the Dual?
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-08, 08:54 AM

Does the dual gen 4 use DLNA and will it work with android tablets and with upnp functionality.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

CM4221HD on jpole 25" +- up on the roof with a C2V dipole kit
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-06-08, 01:08 PM
Veteran

They website says its UPNP certified.

Have a look at the flyer on their website for each device and decide from there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in