aptX Bluetooth - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

aptX Bluetooth

Hi

I'm testing an aptX-compatible bluetooth receiver hooked up to my main stereo system. It claims to do hi-fi audio very well because of it's use of the aptX codec and digital-audio output to the AV receiver.

I'm curious ...

My Samsung S3 is said to be aptX compatible, but since aptX is software, doesn't aptX over a2dp bluetooth rely on the app I'm using? Or is this just automatic; if your phone is compatible... it will use it.

I'd like to ensure I'm testing it with aptX, but there seems to be no information on how to make your S3 use it, but plenty of sources just say that it's aptX compatible.

Wayde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 12:04 PM

I don't have an answer for you but I am in a similar situation. I have a Galaxy Note 3 which supports aptX and I'm testing out new BlueAnt PUMP HD sport earbuds which also support aptX.

So far I too haven't been able to figure out how to see an actual aptX connection has been established.

I can report back if Google finds anything.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi Civuck, thanks for the response.

If I find a definitive answer I'll leave it here too. But my suspicion is that the aptX transfer is automatic and must be built into the firmware of the device that uses it whenever it streams Bluetooth.

Since aptX operates over the A2DP protocol Those devices that can see "see" aptX uses it and those that can't just see it as "normal" (I don't know what the standard compression algo would be called) over the A2DP profile for Bluetooth stereo.

I am working on a review of a Bluetooth "hi-fi" device that promises CD-like audio quality from your aptX device to any AV receiver with a digital optical input.

I tested it head-to-head with what has been the gold standard for Bluetooth-stereo receivers by Logitech, this one uses the analog stereo outs and is not aptX compliant.

The difference was amazing. Although the Logitech sounds okay, it still sounds like overly-compressed Bluetooth stereo, a real compromise in sound quality.

Using the device I'm reviewing using aptX the difference was significant. I am reasonably certain I was using the aptX codec judging by the differences in the transfer of the exact same music file head-to-head between the aptX and the non-aptX device where everything else in the audio chain was identical.

So, it's my conclusion that you don't have to screw around with installing software on your device to use aptX. I believe it's like cigarettes when you take-10 in the Army... you can smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Thanks
Wayde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in