Looking media player that supports both miracast/screen mirroring & dlna - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Looking media player that supports both miracast/screen mirroring & dlna

I've been moving heaven and earth to try and find a decent media player that works well with both of the above standards, and so far coming up empty.

I have a WDTV Live which handles dlna flawlessly but western digital has yet to add miracast support to any of their products as far as I know.

I tried the netgear PTV 3000 which worked pretty well for miracast but apparently lacks support for dlna.

Netgear also makes a product called the Neotv which is said to support both, but the reviews are terrible. Build quality is very poor, and despite its claim to support miracast it seems it only supports Intel widi specifically, not the open miracast standard. In any event I couldn't get it to work with my tablet despite the netgear ptv3000 working well in that area.

I'm testing out a samsung blu-ray player now, the H5900 which does have both features, and is of good quality, but samsung likes to put a spin on things.. both the miracast and dlna functions require significant manipulation of the remote before launching unlike other non samsung players that just work, and the dlna function requires proprietary samsung software to be running and open on the PC rather then just using windows built in 'play to' function as my western digital did..not to mention, seeing as I have no need or desire for the blu-ray portion, at 149.00 is fairly expensive for a media player.

That said, while I'd prefer to spend less, I will spend what it takes for a quality product. Does anyone have a recommendation for any media player that handles both the open dlna and miracast wireless standards well?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 07:28 PM

I use a Minix Neo X7 that will do what you want but they're around $140, that said with XBMC, mashup and show box I think it's an awesome kit. If you get a NEO A2 Air Mouse you can even play most games off the Play store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBR3ZrurMKI
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I actually end up finding an EZCast player on amazon for 20 bucks that does everything I need and works flawlessly.. I was uber surprised.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 07:36 PM

so, give us a bit more of a review, and how you use it. I'm looking for something similar to replace an older Roku
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm still putting it through its paces.. it's not without it's faults but it's well worth it's price.

It's called the measy A2W, and it runs on EZCast software. No remote, all controlled over wifi via the EZCast app for android or windows.

It can be set to boot by default in either dlna mode or miracast mode. And then can be switched to the opposite using the app. Then you can cast or stream to it as normal.

The main flaws I've found so far are that it sometimes drops wifi.. So when you go to play a file to it over dlna it can't be found.. the solution is just to open the app, and hit settings, it then picks up the wifi right away.. not the end of the world but a mild inconvenience, it should just be always on. They do seem to be constantly working on firmware updates though so hopefully that will be fixed.

The other flaw is that you cannot name it. It comes with a name /ssid of EZCast-###### and that's what it must be. Fine if you have only one, but at the bargain price I was hoping to put one on each TV in the house.. unfortunately though as is it would be impossible to tell which one you are playing your file to unless you memories the random string of numbers and associate them with the rooms you have them in.

Otherwise though, the dlna streaming is quality. Lag free, audio and video in sync. The miracast is adequate for presentations, web browsing etc. It lacks greatly for video, almost unwatchable.. lots of buffering with the audio way out of sync, but that's not a comment on this device.. I've found that to be the case with all the miracast adapters I've tried. Some very expensive. This 20 dollar device is as good, I've just not found any to be good for that purpose. I use dlna for video and the miracast got business.

The device also has a built in web browser which can be controlled through the app.. this works adequately for youtube among other things.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 10:09 PM
Veteran

I've been playing with a Minix Neo X7. It's a fairly nice piece of hardware. The processor is plenty fast for a media player and is quite snappy in regular use. It can draw from the vast library of Android apps and games so it will do most anything you like. The main drawback is that XBMC is not quite there yet. It tends to stutter and have sync problems on some types of video. Don't know if that's an XBMC issue or a video driver/hardware issue. The built in wireless is 2.4/5GHz but is a little on the flaky side, especially on 5GHz.

For techies and tinkerers the X7 is a great system. The firmware has a number of modded versions that implement various tweaks. One of them is for better XBMC performance and there is a modded version of XBMC plus the official XBMC 13.0. The X7 can also be modded to dual boot Linux from an SD card.

I pretty much bought it to use as an XBMC media player out of the box. For that, it mostly fails for video. However, there are lots of workarounds to be found for the adventurous and technically minded.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-05-20, 07:05 PM

It's definitely for the techie types, I've had a few hiccups that most people would of returned the unit. But I'm surprised you're having problems with video playback. I have mine hooked up to just a TV (so no DTS passthrough to a receiver) and it plays 1080p (with DTS) without stutter, using the Minix XBMC or Plex it doesn't matter. I've the wifi antenna off so I can't comment on that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-05-21, 03:57 PM
Veteran

The problems I'm having may be due to the Wi-Fi issue. Going to check it out wired but need a router first. I've found that 1080p can play back better than 1080i or even 480i on a 1080p display. That's because less video processing is required.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-09, 02:01 PM

EZCast not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
I actually end up finding an EZCast player on amazon for 20 bucks that does everything I need and works flawlessly.. I was uber surprised.
I got an EZCast dongle and am having no luck at all with it.

I was hoping it would do a better job playing videos on websites from my laptop on my Samsung smart TV because the TV browser sucks. However, I can't even get the EZCast app for Windows working. To connect from my laptop to the dongle, I don't stay connected to my wifi router, so I couldn't even play videos from my laptop browser. This is what I see on my TV screen:

[IMG][/IMG]

When I connect to the EZCast, the first red "x" disappears.

This is all I see on my laptop when I start the EZCast app:

Clicking either of the 2 buttons doesn't give me anything more. What am I missing?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-09, 03:31 PM

I don't see any way to set up this EZCast. There is an official EZCast website and forun, but every page gives me a popup that says:

Quote:
Important Notice

Production of EZCast dongles VMD-EZ151, VMD-EZ152, and VMD-EZ153 were terminated in March-June 2014 since there're too many copy dongles and dealers. We now offer only 2nd generation EZCast dongles VMD-EZ151i, VMD-EZ155, and VMD-EZ154.

Our official online retail shop is www.fobshenzhen.com Now VMD-EZ151i in promotiion free shipping or for Expedited Shipping Worldwide !

Every day we get many complaints and assistance requests due to the quality problem caused from the copy dongles. We would like to support but are not always able to as we don't know what is inside the dongles. Victims suffered from the so-called EZCast dongle and similar ones bought from any other online stores would better turn to the sellers for assistance.

All our bulk order customers(importers, OEM brands, agents) are capable for the support to their customers.

Thanks.

Visonicom Technology
I got mine for $20 from China. The package says EZCHROME and the device itself EZCAST. I downloaded the latest EZCast app and I wonder if it won't work because it's a clone and the current version from Visionicom is different. I daren't even ask in their forum because all I'll get is a snide reply to buy the device only from them.

I purchased an earlier version of this dongle some months ago and gave it to my son, but I don't think he's using it. Maybe I'll try that. It doesn't have a wifi receiver on a cable like this one, but otherwise looks the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in