Best device for movie rentals in Canada? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Best device for movie rentals in Canada?

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a media player mostly for Netflix, but I would also like to be able to rent new release movies. Unfortunately, it looks like my options are limited in Canada.

I know there are rentals on the Apple TV, so that is definitely an option. I was looking at the Roku too, but I can't seem to find a rental service that is available in Canada on the Roku.

Are there any better options than the Apple TV for my needs? I would have preferred a Roku since it seems a lot more flexible, but without rentals I don't think it would be worth it.

As far as I can tell, these are the new release rental services in Canada:

-ITunes
-Google Play
-YouTube (different than Google Play I think)
-Any others?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 10:35 PM

I use an AppleTV3 and iTunes cards which can often be found on sale for 15% off. You can also pay for Netflix using iTunes cards.

As a bonus it supports AirPlay.

Bill
My blog
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 11:17 PM
Veteran

$35 Chromecast is your most cost effective option, if you only want to watch Netflix & rent movies. Google Play movies are great, Netflix Canada has a pretty good selection and there are many other Chromecast apps, Crackle is pretty good for movies and is free (you get commercials during the movie).

You Tube movies & Google Play are one and the same, you can watch rented Play movies on You Tube (I'm 99% certain on this one).

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Does Chromecast have it's own interface/remote? Or do you have to use a phone/tablet to control it?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 01:35 AM
Veteran

Phone, tablet or PC, you navigate the app of the service you want to watch and it plays via the Chromecast but not from your phone, the Chromecast talks directly to the relevant servers.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

I did a bit more research on it, and I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for. It looks like the Apple TV is my best choice.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 12:02 PM
Veteran

What doesn't it give you that you want? XMBC or DNS changing abilities?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 08:33 PM
Veteran

Can't you rent movies (and TV shows) from MS through XBox Live in Canada?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

I would prefer having a remote instead of having to use my iPad as a control. That's my big problem with Chromecast.

Another problem is that it doesn't have optical audio out (and I've just discovered the Roku doesn't either). My receiver doesn't have HDMI in so I wouldn't have 5.1 audio.

I don't own any gaming consoles, so unfortunately the Xbox option wouldn't work.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think Apple TV is unfortunately my only option.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 09:43 PM

AppleTV is what I use, and it works great. I think it has a better movie catalog than Xbox Live, and only on one or two rare occasions was I unable to find what I was looking for, and had to make a trip to the neighbourhood video store (yes, some still do exist).

Netflix Canada has a poor selection of new releases, and mostly focuses on older titles.

Rogers, Bell, Shaw, all have their own on demand movie services as well.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Why don't you like using your tablet as a remote? The Netflix app on Android has been updated so that it basically turns onto a remote with, play, pause, ff & rw buttons. I find it very easy to use as a remote. I'm in the same boat with my receiver, I initially had the Chromecast plugged into the TV with an optical out to the receiver to get 5.1 but recently changed it so its plugged directly into the receiver.

For $35 I'd say its worth giving it a try before paying for the more expensive Apple TV.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Good points. I have my TV setup fairly streamlined already with a Harmony remote. Using an iPad as a remote seems needlessly complex. I want to pause the movie? Alright, so I turn on my iPad, then slide to unlock, and then hit the pause button the screen. With my Harmony remote here's how I do it: I press the pause button without even needing to look at the remote.

I know Netflix doesn't have the best selection of new movies, but I'm mostly interested in Netflix for the TV series it has.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-24, 11:30 PM
Veteran

I have a Harmony too............not sure how the apps behave in iOS but Netflix, Crackle, You Tube, etc all have controls on the lock screen on Android so all you need to do is turn the screen on and you have easily control the video. Using the tablet app also has the advantage of easily typing in titles to search for, rather than navigating an on screen keyboard with the directional buttons on the Harmony remote.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-25, 03:31 PM

I own the LG BP 530 blu-ray player. It supports Netflix, CinemaNow and others. Cinema Now rents and sells movies. I really like the blue ray player. I can use my Rogers remote.
I have also read this machine supports PAL. I have yet to try it. Almost forgot. This player also supports U Tube and Crackle where you can watch free movies and tv shows.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-04-25, 04:50 PM
Veteran

PS3 does netflix for me. I'm old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in