Apple TV (3rd Gen) vs Roku 3 - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 11:40 AM
Veteran

Many people realize that by cutting the cord they do not have access to the same content as having cable and some of them look to piracy to fill that gap.
Lots of people do that but you have to realize that there is possibility to be charged for piracy here in canada .
There are companies that track IP address of illegal streams and downloads and that data could be used to prosecute a person in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 12:19 PM

Just stay away from P2P torrent sites and you don't have to worry about being tracked.

Folks in the States get the e-mail warnings about their torrent downloading, and then once they switch to the non-torrent method of streaming/downloading, the warnings stop. Problem solved.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Plex Connect on ATV 3

Quote:
And that maybe I can use the PlexConnect/trailers hack on my Apple TV.
Good luck. I tried it and gave up out of frustration. That was a while ago so setup may be easier now.
Okay, wow, you so weren't kidding. I don't know, maybe it is easy for someone more techy than I, but it took me a bloody long time to make it work and I only managed it through the Github instructions, plus a lot of supplemental googling. But I did it, I now have Plex Media Server access through the trailers app on my ATV 3.

So I added in the LetMeWatchThis channel - the quality seems no better than the couchtuner/airplay process I was previously using. It's certainly not HD with great sound.

I suppose it's more convenient in that I don't need to use my phone, but I do have to have my macbook running the Plex Media Server if I want to use it, which may turn out to be more inconvenient as I always have my phone on, but rarely leave my laptop running.

In any case, there is satisfaction in figuring it out, but I suspect in the long term my viewing habits will shift where I no longer worry about broadcast schedules and I'll just watch things when they turn up on Netflix or the like. For now it will solve my cable-tv "a new episode is out, I must watch immediately" mentality.

So in summary in case others are looking to cut the cord:
  • I no longer subscribe to cable TV at all
  • I have 35mbps/3mbps with 300GB internet @ $45 + tax
  • A rogers modem and Airport Express router
  • Apple TV 3 @ $89+ tax refurb from apple
    ATV is hooked up to my TV via HDMI, to my HTiB via optical toslink
  • Unblock-US @ $4.95
  • Netflix @ $7.99
  • HuluPlus @ 7.99
  • and I have PlexConnect running on my ATV 3 via Trailers

Unfortunately I am in an area where I get zero OTA channels, so that wasn't an option for me.

So my previous $150 monthly bill for TV and internet is reduced to approx. $70
leaving plenty of room for purchasing some tv seasons throughout the year.

Now I'm just on the hunt for something that will help me track all the tv I watch so I don't forget anything.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H

Last edited by ElenaH; 2014-05-13 at 01:24 PM. Reason: addition, legal

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 03:15 PM
Member #1

ElenaH, thanks for sharing and nice work on the ATV3 PlexConnect hack.

post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-18, 02:35 PM

USTVNOW, Roku and other streamer apps available, requires a little white lie in checking a box stating you are a us citizen viewing from canada. Quality is not hd but quite watchable and includes a guide. 6 basic us channels are free. Paid premium contract even includes pvr service.
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-18, 03:09 PM

USTVNOW is HD quality for 45 days (unless Apple or Roku somehow block HD choices), and then you just change your email address to get another 45 days ... and if you use XBMC, you can apparently manually change the resolution to HD (saw it on a YouTube tutorial) without having to keep changing your email address every 45 days or so.
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-19, 07:51 PM

'cliffhanger' for android is a good little app for keeping track of your shows.

just input all the shows you like/watch and it updates or reminds you of new episodes.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-20, 11:44 AM

'cliffhanger' is a front-end to trakt.tv, if you don't want to use the Android app. I've used it for a few shows and it works well. I don't bother with shows that I watch regularly since my HTPC and PVR keep track of the regular shows for me.

Tags
apple tv , roku

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in