Apple TV (3rd Gen) vs Roku 3 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 11:35 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Since I purchase music from iTunes already, I imagined I would be most comfortable purchasing whatever tv/movies I needed from iTunes.

Finally, at work I use a mac all day, I have a macbook pro, iphone and an airport express, ATV seemed the best fit after all.
Thanks for the feedback.

ATV makes the most sense if you are heavily invested in the iTunes and/or Mac ecosystem. I also picked up my ATV refurbished since its such a significant savings. Have fun with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I forgot the biggie… the optical audio port.
I needed that to be able to hook my HTiB to the apple tv as I was lacking enough HDMI ports to hook everything up that way.

so that also factored into the decision.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Yes and investment in iTunes is a big part of the decision.

What I like about my Roku3 is the fact that the remote is wifi and not IR meaning I can bury the box behind the TV and completely out of sight. And the headphone jack in the remote is great too.

But it's ridiculous that there's a million "rental" or VOD options on the Roku platform if you're in the US (i.e. Redbox, M-Go, Amazon, Blockbuster, Target just to name a few) but **zero** legitimately in Canada. (Without going through unblock-us or equivalent.)

I can rent movies via Google and stream them via my Chromecast but when it comes to actual TV shows I'm back to iTunes and my ATV.

So if you want to rent/purchase VOD or have a big iTunes library already then the ATV is a good choice. However if your priority is Plex and extra apps then I prefer the Roku3 (including for overlapping apps such as Netflix).

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 06:22 PM
DHC Supporter

Sent you a pm North_of_Calgary
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Channel1 on Apple TV3 - PlexConnect or HBMC?

A friend suggested that a better alternative to couchtuner, would be Channel1 that he has on his XBMC.

I spent hours last night trying to figure this out, hate the idea of having to run the XBMC server on my macbook 24/7. But I loaded the Gotham version and set about loading Fusion and then the Channel1 repository. I couldn't get it to work, always a script error.

And I think here is where I'll have wished I purchased a Roku 3 instead I guess!

But today, I was thinking that perhaps there might be an equivalent channel on Plex? And that maybe I can use the PlexConnect/trailers hack on my Apple TV.

Anyone care to share some ideas/thoughts on this, or point me in the right direction of what thread to access, a quick search here didn't really get me anywhere.

Thanks!

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 11:05 AM
Member #1

Quote:
And that maybe I can use the PlexConnect/trailers hack on my Apple TV.
Good luck. I tried it and gave up out of frustration. That was a while ago so setup may be easier now.

Here are the Plex Connect install instructions from Github. Please let us know if you get it working.

post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Will do!

Hugh Any experience with XBMC and apple tv?

post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 12:12 PM

PlexConnect has been working great for me on my Apple TV 2. Note that I only serve media from my NAS with the plex server running on my iMac. It is stable now. Early in the releases it was no where near as stable. I use Unlocator for US content and with PlexConnect I can edit the CFG file to inout those DNS entries. I don't use channels on any of my plex installs so I can't help you there. A quick google search does not show Channel1 being available within plex.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 12:53 PM
Veteran

ElenaH, you won't be able to get XBMC running on ATV3 - only ATV2. So, if you bought a new unit forget it.

I ended up buying a Mac Mini to complement the ATV3 when we cut the cord.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 01:29 PM

Yup, even with a streaming box, piracy rules the world.

1channel has been attacked so many times, that it has changed its web address several times over the years.

I don't use XBMC or Plex (although there are several YouTube tutorials on fixing 1channel script errors), but on the Internet, 1channel's website is now called "Primewire" (banned in Britain) and on the Plex, I think they might still use the "LetMeWatchThis" plugin from github (or from Unsupported App store which allows automatic updates for all the downloaded apps) which was another website name for 1channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRqicUuT0I
[Plex: LetMewatchThis]
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

When I started this change, I really didn't think I'd have to pirate anything.

The first inkling was when I realized I'm in a ZERO channel OTA area.

Then I thought that I could watch my shows the day after on the network sites/apps. Now I realize that a lot of the network sites/apps now want you to log in with your cable subscription. Even with HuluPlus it's limited, I thought I could watch new Animal Planet shows through it, nope, just clips. I guess I have to pirate My Cat From Hell of all things now.

I planned on buying season passes for things like Game of Thrones on iTunes but now realize you can't purchase the new season to watch online anywhere. You must have a cable subscription.

– sorry, bit off topic.

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 03:28 PM

I have two questions 1 does anybody believe if new Apple TV (4th generation) that might be coming in the near future will allows apps such as Plex on it. 2 with google adding google music to canada do you think tv shows will be next for them to add

Last edited by Many7695; 2014-05-07 at 08:53 PM.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 06:28 PM
Veteran

Apple TV 4 is coming before Christmas and they are negotiating with content providers to have some kind of tv option on this unit.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple...cable-3419647/
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 10:37 AM
Veteran

Why not just support the platform that is more open, get the Roku 3, or run both. I can't see Apple ever making a device more open if anything if they will be supporting some sort of TV that will be more of a reason to keep the door shut. I just grabbed a private Google Play channel for Roku so that I can try out the Google play music that just launched here. You have to love that kind of utility.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaH View Post
When I started this change, I really didn't think I'd have to pirate anything.

I planned on buying season passes for things like Game of Thrones on iTunes but now realize you can't purchase the new season to watch online anywhere. You must have a cable subscription.
Yes, this is a really good point. I see so many parallels to the music industry during the 80's here. Allowing content to be easily available for purchase at a reasonable cost saved the industry. I'm not sure if they are making the same $ now, but at least piracy was greatly reduced. I am convinced the vast majority of people would rather not pirate their material if they had the choice.

I'm not sure if the TV industry has a deeper more esoteric insight, or is it that they are just stuck in an old outdated business model?

Tags
apple tv , roku

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in