Apple TV (3rd Gen) vs Roku 3 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 01:10 PM
asd

I prefer my Roku (streaming USB stick, in my case, but same operating system as Roku3) to my Apple TV3 for Netflix and NHL Gamecenter besides PLEX. PLEX is a big challenge on the Apple TV3 but runs extremely well on the Roku (some don't like the interface but that's personal taste). However, make sure your router allows DNS configuration. Rokus don't allow DNS settings on the device; Apple TV3s do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 01:59 PM
Premium Supporter

Thanks for the tip on the DNS `asd` I do not have a router anymore have provider modem.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-29, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Well, I decided on the Apple TV. Grabbed a refurb'd one on apple.ca so I'll see how it goes.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-04-29, 10:17 AM
Veteran

Yeah, I really wish Roku would open up those settings into the U.I. It would relieve a lot of the issues. I created a superscope DHCP server to set the DNS settings by default to unblock-us but can override and use Google DNS by hard coding the MAC address into DHCP. A bit clunky but it works.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-01, 08:49 AM

I have been using the bockless service which has worked for me on the roku 2 with wwe, Netflix, pandora and spotify streaming channels.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-01, 10:53 AM
asd

I assume you mean "Blockless" service which, like Unblock-us, requires setting the router since the Roku settings can't be altered for DNS.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-01, 03:00 PM
Veteran

You could use Unblock-Us with a Roku but you would need to set the DNS on the router rather than the device.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-01, 04:10 PM

Sorry about that spelling mistake, it's blockless like you said.. I need to get my eyes checked I'm starting to miss a one too many words when I type. My type 1 diabetes is starting to take a toll on eyes.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 08:01 AM

I use unblock-us with a few Roku 3's. Works great and setting the router with a DNS was so simple on my router. Change it once, and all your home devices are good to go.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

I set up unblock-us on the ATV too, same drill, change the DNS on the router, all devices ready to roll.

From there, I signed up for Netflix US and Hulu+. That combined with airplay and network apps, I'm watching all the tv I've always watched (which is A LOT). Okay, I may have to use couchtuner for a couple shows, I'd happily pay for them on iTunes or the like, but as I can't do that yet, couchtuner it is.

So far, loving it.

post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Couchtuner has a lot of shows but if I had to rely on it I think I would stop watching tv altogether. But it is free so I guess you get what you pay for.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 09:26 PM
Veteran

I thought you didn't do illegal/grey area streaming?
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 04:44 AM
Veteran

I don't, but it does not mean I can't check things out.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 08:27 AM
Member #1

Quote:
I thought you didn't do illegal/grey area streaming?
Nice catch. My chuckle for the day.

On a serious note, using a DNS redirection service to watch netflix or Hulu plus is perfectly harmless, however, I would warn folks that links from sites like couchtuner are a great way for web browsers to be hit with drive by malware or phishing attacks.

Quote:
Well, I decided on the Apple TV. Grabbed a refurb'd one on apple.ca so I'll see how it goes.
I'm curious as to why you selected ATV over Roku, care to share?

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Well, it seemed some of the bonuses of Roku were Plex, playing multiple file formats and coordinating personal media… plus all the channels it offers.

I don't have a home library of videos
I only have one user, and one tv to consider
I don't want to watch on my phone or laptop
I looked through the roku channels, most of it seemed of no use to me

Since I purchase music from iTunes already, I imagined I would be most comfortable purchasing whatever tv/movies I needed from iTunes.

Finally, at work I use a mac all day, I have a macbook pro, iphone and an airport express, ATV seemed the best fit after all.

As for couchtuner, it's my last resort.
But as of yet there is no way to watch new HBO shows without cable or satellite. If I could buy a season pass in iTunes for the current season of say, Game of Thrones, I would in a heartbeat.

*I guess I officially cut the cord yesterday, gave Rogers my 30 day notice. Though it did take me a long time to convince them I had absolutely no use for basic cable, the deed was eventually done. They matched Teksavvy for pricing on internet with no contract so for now, I'll stay with Rogers internet. Here's hoping 300GB is enough for all my streaming needs.

Tags
apple tv , roku

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in