Cutting the Cable in 2014 - Discussion of Options - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-04-19, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
You will probably find that the Raspberry Pi is a bit underpowered as well. The best way to run XBMC on the XIOS is probably to use the Linux version, not the Android version. I haven't played with that so don't know the details. The best way to run XBMC on lightweight hardware is to use the OpenELEC distro. That's what the Raspberry Pi uses. It also runs very well on Intel Atom MiniITX boards.
I know, my buddies xios is straight boot to xbmc using linux, no android at all,
I just don't really like xbmc, not a huge fan of the interface, and as far as streaming with add ons the quality is horrible, I'd rather pay Shaw or rent disc based, Android as a base is far more useful for what I use it for, Plex, netflix etc.

I just got the pi for entertainment, playing with linux, not just xbmc, but I want to see how well it runs, also got an arduino on its way, going to mess around with it and the pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkitty View Post
That's where I am sort of stuck on my other TVs in the household.

My living room, main TV watching place.. I have a LG smart TV. Built in app for PLEX and Netflix.

In the basement, I have a Dual Core full size spare PC, which I have set for media playback.
Plex home theatre software is GREAT on it.. but for Netflix, am forced to use the web based Netflix

That's one thing I like about the TV.. or many of the android, etc type boxes... that there is a specific APP for things.
(though that can be limiting, like if development stops a lot on it like Boxee..)

an xios or android box is straight android, not like google tv, boxee or anything else like that, android is popular and here to stay

I have windows 8 on an older dual core pc that came with vista, plex and netflix metro apps look good and are air mouse friendly, I like the windows 8 start menu as a base for an HTPC

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-04-21, 10:38 AM
Veteran

That was my other thought.. upgrading that one, to windows 8.

If they metro environment has Netflix app, I know it has plex.. may be the better solution.

I am GUESSING win 8 works with WMC remote for the menu.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-04-21, 10:44 AM

The WMC remote works for the Win8 menu - the arrow buttons move the cursor and the OK button starts the app. I'm not sure how well individual apps respond to the WMC remote.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 10:29 AM
Veteran

Hmm.. if I can find a copy of win8, when I am bored one weekend, I might just try it.

I know the WMC remote runs the PHT app fine, I would assume they would put in support into the win8 app.
Hopefully Netflix will too.

I know that most of the buttons on a WMC remote wont work, without wmc, but the directional, stop, play, etc.

Really if I ever get a spare decent enough PC.. I should play with WMC again too. Last time I really used it was quite a while ago.. and had issues then, but I am sure there is ALOT more development with it now, especially with the whole cord cutting movement.

To me, really for cord cutting to be viable.. (other than the what media you WANT to watch to be easily enough available, etc)... is it needs to be a more 'all in one' solution.

GDKitty
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 11:00 AM

If you want to play with WMC on Windows 8, you will need Windows 8 Pro. You can see the discussion in the Windows 8 threads which you can find by doing a Tag Search for "Windows 8".

I use WMC on Windows 8 daily and find it works very well once you apply Peter Near's hack for ATSC reception in Canada. Microsoft hasn't made any significant changes in WMC since Windows 7.

I can't comment on Netflix or Plex apps since I don't use them.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 11:56 AM
Veteran

I have a few legit copies of 7 floating around, so if I was to play with WMC, would likely be on 7.

But for my current usage on the media playback device, is mostly PLEX and Netflix, 8 might do just fine.

GDKitty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in