HDHomerun questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

HDHomerun questions

Hey guys.. looked through some of the older threads, couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.. so figured I would make a new one, and just ask them all outright.

This is not for myself, for a client. (will be setting stuff up when they move).

They are looking to change to the OTA + streaming methods. we have talked other things for the streaming/playback... Its the OTA I haven't have first hand experience with (other than straight into the TV).

My understanding.. is that the antenna goes into the HDhomerun box.
From there, you set it up and connect to your network.

Beyond that.. I am not sure how the actual viewing, etc works.. the website itself (beyond using their 'app') isn't very clear.

A) How is watching 'live' TV done. From Smart TV, PC, Media PC (with some form of media server), and mobile devices.

B) Recording. I don't think the boxes do it themselves by default? But what then is needed to the recording.. assuming on a PC Side.. and then how to schedule, etc.

If I think of anything more I will post it..likely more questions after these are answered.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 12:30 PM
Veteran

The older model you need an HTPC.

The latest model you can stream on some set-top media devices or tablets.
I am not sure about smart TVs, but a Smart TV will have it;s own ATSC tuner it can directly use.

For recording, you need a PC running Windows Media Center (built into Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pro. 3rd party apps such a NextPVR and MediaPortal. WMC comes with Tribune guide, others may use the PSIP guide, Schedules Direct (small yearly fee), or a scraper.

Your client may consider a Tablo (basically HDHD+DVR in one device), or Simple.TV . Those do not require a PC to run, as far as I can tell. They may have a subscription for guide or recording features.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 01:33 PM
Veteran

I recommend NextPVR with the HDHR Dual. NextPVR is easy to set up and works well for watching or recording on a PC. It supports MCE compatible remotes. The recorded files can be watched with just about any media player or PC on the network. Live TV can be watched or recordings managed on another PC with a client instance of NextPVR. There is also a NextPVR browser interface for managing recordings with devices that support browsers. Schedules Direct is easy to set up but costs $25/yr.

There is a paid app for watching live TV with Android. A similar app is available for iOS. The newer HDHR4 Dual has an improved tuner vs the HDHR3 series. HDHR Plus model acts as a media server. That's useful for live TV with smart TVs and media players. The HDHR Prime is similar to the Plus with CableCard support that is only useful in the USA.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The nextpvr sounds like it might work for their intended setup with what we were thinking so far.

What format does it save them in? And how does it name the files?
(Just curious about serving it out with another program, etc)

GDKitty
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 08:57 PM

NextPVR docs are here http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-22, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Took a look at the docs.. couldn't quite find all I was looking for, at least not fully..

From the sounds of it.. it records the stuff, based on the name, etc it pulls from its guide?
Just wondering if it records in anything like a format of

Game of thrones s02e07 or something similar?

GDKitty
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-22, 04:05 PM
Veteran

With the HDHomerun Dual, the programs are saved in MPEG2 format as Transport Stream (TS) files. With the HDHomerun Plus, the programs are saved in MPEG4 format. With NextPVR, tile names are based on the program name and time of recording, in a directory consisting of the program name, for example, 'NCIS\NCIS_20140318_21002200.ts'. These files can be played by most media players and media player software. The recording directory can be shared to make it accessible from the network.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-22, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hmm.. ok.

will have to look into it and test some say on mine. They really like my media server playback software.. so will have to do some testing say on my server.

Will just have to get ahold of a TS file to test with :P

Worse case could go with the plus.

GDKitty
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-25, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Wow.. having a real issue finding something more than a like 5 second .ts file to test with :P
(a bunch of places have samples.. but only last a few seconds).

GDKitty
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-25, 04:10 PM

I'm running a pair of HDHomeRuns on a Windows 7 WMC PC, it works great, free guide data, goes to sleep, supports an eHome IR remote and Xbox 360s as extenders and will wake up the WMC.

Bill
My blog
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-25, 07:48 PM
Veteran

Look into MCEBuddy. It will demux/transcode, and name in the season/episode format.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-26, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Look into MCEBuddy. It will demux/transcode, and name in the season/episode format.
Oooh, something like that might work, if it doesn't like the defaults from HDhomerun.

Still need to find out what the client wants really in the end..
The husband who was pushing for this to begin with.. is now kind of freaking out about some live sports stuff.. (and realizing where we live the OTA channel choices are limited)

GDKitty
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-26, 06:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
They really like my media server playback software.
What software would that be?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-26, 06:41 PM

I used to have Win 7 with 3 dual card tuners and 2 HDHomerun. Recording tons of shows OTA HD shows on a 4 TB drive using the Peter Near hack to get the channel guide.

I dropped it for a simpler life and now use Elgato for OTA on a mac Mini. The HDHomerun still allows live TV playback on devices like an iPad with a paid app. I watch most other shows using a Roku 3 and Hulu Plus. No recording issues to deal with.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I currently run PLEX. Doesn't support any LIVE tv of that nature, but supports TV, movies, music, etc just fine.. as well as a whole ton of online 'on demand' type channels.
(hgtv, discovery, food, etc)

Big thing for them, was they liked the interface.. was simple and easy to use/navigate.
That goes for the SERVER end of it too.. insanely easy to setup/manage. (while I wouldn't say some of the others are super DIFFICULT, not like you need to know how to program or anything.. they are just not quite AS simple).

Also, they have a Samsung smart TV, which has a specific App for it as well.

GDKitty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in