HDHomerun questions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 12:09 PM

My current setup uses two HDHomeRun dual boxes (I'm in the process of upgrading to the Gen4 boxes), a Windows Home Server 2011 box that runs MyMovies among other things, and Windows Media Center 7/8 as client front ends. Although this software is not all the most current stuff out there, it provides me with the ability to watch live TV through Windows wired or wireless i I wanted, my movie collection is incredibly organized and I have full control of all metadata more easily than any other system I've seen, and recorded TV is available through a traditional TV Guide sort of interface and available throughout the home one everyone's Windows PCs. To me it's actually quite a great setup.

Plex looks great, and interests me, as does it's excellent options in terms of devices to access it from, but it's lack of live/recording TV options means it's not a full solution for me, just an excellent media storage/retrieval platform. Because of that, I haven't investigated it fully yet, but I'm sure it's a good option. Given that this thread was about the HDHomeRun, for that from what I can see Media Center is still the Windows software of choice to use with it.

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah.. that's the biggest downside of PLEX.. that no direct integration in that way.

At least from MY understanding... MOST of what they would be watching/recording from OTA, would be recorded for later.. so in the end, not the END of the world if recorded, drop the file, PLEX builds the listing for it, and then they watch it.

The few live things.. might run into a bit more of an issue.

Though.. they always do have the option.. of a direct cable connection INTO the TV then as well.

One of the, is boardline 'anti windows'.. so introducing WMC might not be the BEST choice.
At least with plex, can do a Linux (or NAS based) server solution, and direct to TV app front ends, Roku, etc.. without necessarily getting windows involved. Even just as a server, they might be OK with it.

It LOOKS like HDhomerun has Linux/mac software anyways.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

For the LIFE of me.. I cant find a .ts file to test with, that isn't only a few seconds long.

Does anyone happen to have one they would be willing to share for testing purposes?

GDKitty

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Just installed Plex Home Theater and Plex Server to do some testing. If playing TS files in Plex is the concern, I can tell you that Plex Server does not recognize them. However, TS is just a container type and files can be easily converted. Using a different program to record TV may also work to create files of a different type that is recognized by Plex. Don't know if that answers your question.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Had read one or two threads on it... people saying the COULD.. but looks like its more of a manual method through plex.. going and telling it to open and play them back.. vs it auto archiving them, etc.. which is what I was really more looking at

Will have to take into consideration when the time comes.. converting (which adds another step).. using the higher end homerun which coverts right to MP4, etc..

Thanks again for everyones help.

GDKitty
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-07, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Plex looks great, and interests me, as does it's excellent options in terms of devices to access it from, but it's lack of live/recording TV options means it's not a full solution for me, just an excellent media storage/retrieval platform. Because of that, I haven't investigated it fully yet, but I'm sure it's a good option. Given that this thread was about the HDHomeRun, for that from what I can see Media Center is still the Windows software of choice to use with it.
Slyboy if you can give up the live tv part and would be willing to go with a Roku 3 on the front end, NextPVR is able to record and use it's own app to playback or you could have the files go right into Plex. Plex and NextPVR appear to run fine on the same machine. For my case because I still needed live TV, I am still doing WMC + X360 as media extender but I dumped the my movies stuff in favor of Plex Server with Roku on the front end. If I can get OTA TV working properly for live tv with WMC and Xbox One, I will dump the 360 and the downstairs media center.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-09, 11:52 AM

Personally I'm still a big fan of Media Center. I know it can be trouble for some to setup, but when you've got it working well and you have things that work properly with it (software & hardware designed for Media Center) it is just such a sweet setup. The HDHomeRun is one such device as it just works perfectly with WMC and makes WMC a great TV replacement, which is what I've done in almost all rooms in my house.

MyMovies for me is wonderful because I love the control I have over the metadata, sort order, file organization, and the ability to filter the collection easily so that the kids only see a subset of what is available to me. I realize you've dropped MyMovies in place of Plex. How is Plex in those two regards?

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-09, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Plex does have some stuff now for 'collections' but not sure how that works.

Personally, I just devide the media when 'storing' it for the server.

On my media server, I have the following folders:
TV
Moives
Kids TV
Kids Movies
Anime
Music

The appropriate media, goes in the right folder.

Then you set up in plex, different 'categories'.. One TV category, pointing to the TV directory. Another TV category to the KIDs one. And so on.. so each has their on section.

Now, you can point to MULTIPLE locations. I actually do this, as my first drive is full, so just duplicated the folder structure on the 2nd.
Not sure, but I would GUESS you could point the regular TV folder to the kids TV folder as well, so the regular TV folder has ALL... it would just make a bunch of duplicate entries in the database.

GDKitty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in