best internal harddrive for ota recording/editing - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

best internal harddrive for ota recording/editing

i'm looking to add another drive to my setup as space is slowly becoming an issue. currently my os is on a wd black drive and i have been using a green drive for ota recording and editing stuff i want to keep with video redo on the same green drive. i haven't seemed to have any issues with this drive and i was planning on tossing another green drive in the case but i'm wondering if i should perhaps look at something else that would perhaps give better performance but still be a good value? opinions?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 12:02 PM
Veteran

WD Red drives have a longer warranty and are designed for multimedia use. I've had a lot of issues with WD Green drives. WD decreased the warranty on them so I won't be buying any more.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

i was looking at the red drives as well but they mention they are mostly for nas use. 24/7 operating environment etc. i only use the drives few hrs a day, record some shows at night access the following days when editing and viewing etc. red drives still good for that? how are they heatwise, noisewise?

thanks

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 12:31 PM
Veteran

Heat and noise are about the same as the green drives. They have a bigger buffer for improved performance and a longer warranty. Basically, they are an improved green drive for only a little extra money.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks, that might be the choice.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 06:15 PM

I would have moved to a RED drive two years ago but unfortunately that pesky warranty kicked in and the failed GREEN drive was replaced in less than two weeks.
I don't care about losing recorded TV because 95% of it will air again(or be sourced elsewhere) but losing archives is not good at all.
My box has the OS and major applications (NPVR and it's live TV buffer) on a 120gb SSD. No noise, Heat?

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-13, 09:22 AM

If you can find one of the "AV" series of drives from WD or Seagate go with those, but you'll probably have to order from an online retailer since they're not typical consumer items.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=150
http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...r-electronics/

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-13, 05:56 PM

Those look nice, but a common SSD can handle the heavy lifting of "always writing" with live TV buffers and video transcoding.
The SSD's are becoming bigger and less expensive and are quite easily sourced.
I'm over two years in on mine and no issues.
And as I've made mention so many, times every recording I make is processed with comskip then converted from TS to AVI then given another pass to remove commercials and alter resolution and volume level.
In fact now that I write this, I'm realizing that I may be due for a refresh.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-14, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

i looked at the av series before as my shaw direct pvr had one in it and due to issues with that it kind of turned me off of them.

ssd i think are still a bit pricey for the size so i'll probably still stick with a traditional drive, still leaning towards the red drives recommendations.

thanks for the further opinions though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-14, 07:45 AM

you only need a 120gb SSD which run about $100.
The only 'stuff' you put on it are your OS and apps.
In my case that leaves 40gb of space for tv buffer or a folder on the desktop to work with a file.
-No noise, which is the best feature
-Heat is less than mechanical drives
-your video files and SSD backups are safe archived on your larger volumes
-Speed, speed, speed

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-14, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

if that's the case, then maybe i should run my capture and editing on my black drive and then just copy over to a storage drive (my green or perhaps new red) later?

i may get a ssd for my os later but haven't made that jump yet, you are right that they are getting more attractive in price for that purpose but at this point i just want to buy one drive and i need the extra storage space.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-14, 04:45 PM

I remember why I got the ssd.
I was relying on older 250-320gb hard drives for use with media center activity and lost a drive. I even went to point of setting up a dual boot system in case my main drive failed during "prime time" I had another one (that was up to date because with NextPVR there are three files that keep it current as far as guide info and settings and recording schedule plus location. these were copied as a scheduled task.) so I could reboot and be up and running with a back up system. Well, another drive went down, and these were older drives any way. So I loaded up the OS on one of my two 2tb green drives. That failed and lost some stuff for good.
That's three failed hard drives, two were long in the tooth but the green drive was just on the edge of it's warranty.
An SSD drive is the solution.
for $120 you've got a drive that won't fail.
As I described above media center activity will kill hard drives.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-14, 05:04 PM
Veteran

If speed for file processing is the issue then using two drives is always a win. Always read from one drive and write to another. That prevents the head thrashing that occurs when reading and writing on the same drive simultaneously. For the situation in post #1, I would put the O/S on an SSD. Make sure it is big enough to handle the O/S plus any applications and temporary buffers. I would record to the black drive and write the post processed files to the green/red drive. If more space is needed, I would get a large red drive. 3TB and 4TB drives are now available and cost per GB is close to that of 2TB drives. If no post processing is being done, the intermediate drive could be eliminated.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-03-15, 08:30 PM

WD has a (relatively) new Se line that should be considered if only the best will do
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48811

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in