I'm confused with Roku 3... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-03-05, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
ckl

I'm confused with Roku 3...

Hello. I want to get a Roku 3 mainly to play home videos and pictures from my NAS and have Netflix functionality on my dumb TV. I have a Nexus 4 and Note 2 and will probably download the roku android app to play videos and pictures from the phones to the Roku.

What confuses the hell out of me is the available channels that work for Canadians. I went to the Roku site and browsed through their channels and games. At first, it doesn't tell me what games cost money and which channels are region restricted. So, for example, Galaga, which I loved as a kid, was available but I was skeptical it was free. So I created an account and low and behold, it costs $4.99. So now I go to the movies and TV and noticed that some channels that are US only (ie. Hulu Plus, amazon instant video) are showing up and appears to have the "Add Channel" option. Of course, when I click on it, including Netflix, it says something like "Sorry, you can't add channels from the web".

So my question is which channels are actually available for Canada?

Also, were there any other "gotchas" you noticed after purchasing one?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-03-06, 11:10 AM

Check out my reply (Post #86) to a similar question in this thread:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=184945&page=6
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-03-06, 05:57 PM

The Roku channel list is not country specific so it is hard to tell if a channel will work in Canada. I use "unblock us" so I am able to get Hulu Plus in Canada. Instructions for doing that are all over the net. I can get the CBC channel on the Roku, but only by using the PLEX channel which requires a PLEX server to be running. It is not live streaming, but has most of the CBC shows on it. Great thing is all the stuff is 100% commercial free. Although for news shows, they make you wait through the non-existent commercials.

Although there is a CTV Plex channel (Roku), it doesn't work.

It seems crazy that TV stations that broadcast HD OTA signals don't provide a Roku channel similar to what they publish on the web for free. Maybe the technology is there, just no one has created the code.

Livestream is a channel that has some semi-live TV channels, but mostly news channels from the US. It works in Canada.

Hulu Plus is your best best for current mainstream TV show streaming on the Roku. It costs $8 USD/month

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-05-31, 09:55 PM

I returned my Roku 3 to Walmart; it didn't read any of the content I had on my NAS, all the channels I was interested in were either blocked, or extremely limited in content.

I had a bad experience with the WDTV Live I ended up giving it to a friend because it was so slow and would always disconnect from my WD My Book NAS, I am still looking for a decent alternative, haven't found anything so far.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-06-02, 06:50 PM
Veteran

How about one of those SFF PCs. You likely can build/buy one for less than $300, maybe $200 if you really work, do some DIY, may have spare PC parts, or don't mind slightly pld hardware.

You can get a board an CPU for less than $100.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-06-06, 12:54 PM
Veteran

You'll want Plex or similar setup to read content off your NAS and dish it out to a device which means basically a middle man. I don't think there is an end point device around that will work the way you are wanting without having Plex / a computer middle man in between. Actually one thing that comes to mind is XBMC. Apparently you can load XBMC on an OUYA and get decent performance, it might do the job. I see XMBC on my Raspberry PI has support for local content. (Browse enter path all sorts of file formats) Of course any end point device you choose will also have to support the format of your local content. Plex will transcode where needed but that means more horse power resources delegated to the middle man.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-06-07, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoRingo View Post
I returned my Roku 3 to Walmart; it didn't read any of the content I had on my NAS,
this is why you need plex
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-07-01, 11:26 AM

Re: the OP wanting to play video/pictures on a dumb tv on Roku 3.

Plex is probably the only way to currently do that from your NAS (streaming).

But the Roku 3 does have a microSD slot. You can load up a large capacity card with your content and play it from the card.

Not ideal, but it works.

I returned my Canadian Roku Streaming Stick to BestBuy after I realized that 1/2 of the channels pictured on its box were US only.

So, I picked up an American Roku Streaming Stick on Amazon.com and created an American Roku account. My credit card is AMEX, whom I called and had my billing address changed to a shipping depot in Michigan that I use (no issues at all with AMEX doing it). Then added the AMEX to the Roku account. It all passed; everything appears (billing wise) as though I am American.

When I activated my American Roku for the 1st time, I took no chances: I had a VPN running on the router.

I use unotelly for my DNS changing needs now, but keep the router level VPN off unless needed.

I have since bought a refurbished Roku 3 from woot.com and activated it in the same manner.

Both Roku units are running fine. I get full American channel line ups and can add more using the webpage on Roku.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-07-01, 11:43 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Plex is probably the only way to currently do that from your NAS (streaming).
Agreed.

To add, there is a Roku app that lets you read and playback files from a Network drive but its rudimentary and I would only suggest it if Plex is not possible.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-07-07, 12:24 AM

agree with the plex comments. i have used it and it will do what u want. xbmc is a similar option and my preffered way just to get all the addons that allow a truly cord cutting option. locally stored content is fine to as long as the hardware supports it
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-07-15, 03:16 PM

Does anyone know why the Roku is unable play a greater range of file formats?

I would have assumed its some sort of codec thing? In which a 3rd party player could get around? The jailbroken Apple TV 2 is able to get around its format restrictions with XBMC or the Infuse player, seems the same should be possible for Roku?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-07-16, 07:51 AM

I have no issues with any of my WD Live boxes reading content from my Qnap NAS. Did you install Twonky?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in