ATSC PVR Software with Resolution Changing - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-02-24, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

ATSC PVR Software with Resolution Changing

I have a KWorld USB ATSC tuner that I'd like to use with my main computer and an antenna in concert with PVR software.

I've tried a couple of different kinds of PVR software, but so far none have allowed me to change the recording resolution.

My Pivos Xios android media player does not like low compression 1080i MPEG2 video, skipping, freezing, losing audio, and having the audio go out of sink.

I know I could re-encode the files, but I'd rather not have to do that. Does anyone know of Windows PVR/DVR software that allows you to change the resoultion the video is recorded at and/or allows you to encode in Mpeg4/ H.264?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a software that will automatically convert the recorded programs, once the files appear in the directory, to MPEG4/H.264?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-02-25, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Alternatively, does anyone know of a software that will automatically convert the recorded programs, once the files appear in the directory, to MPEG4/H.264?
I think MCEBuddy will do that. I used it to manually convert Windows Media Center files and remove commercials, but I think you can have it run automatically. It also works with other formats.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-02-25, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

^
Thanks, I've given MCEBuddy a try, and I think it will do nicely. I'm converting the MPEG-2 files to 720p MKV files, which are playing nicely on the Xios.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-02-25, 07:08 PM

I use NextPVR media center.
When a recording finishes the "postprocessing.bat" is run. This allows me to set a batch script that:
-runs comskip, to create a file with all the commercial frames sequences.
-runs Mencoder, to create an AVI copy that reduces the file size to 1/8 of the original size.
-runs Mencoder, to create a second AVI copy less commercials, boost the volume by +10db and scale the resolution to my phone.
This happens for every recording. If I think I may be waiting a lot one day I'll hit sync on my phone and by the time I'm out of the shower it's loaded.
Other scheduled tasks manage the recordings, moving them about before deleting after X days.

The point is that you could use Mencoder, mcebuddy, Handbrake or any other application that has a command line interface with NPVR because of the "PostProcessing" feature.

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-02-27, 05:55 PM
Veteran

There is a new OTA tuner from SiliconDust called, I think, the HDHomeRun Plus that will transcode ATSC to h.264. It is more expensive but it sounds like what you are looking for.

But it might be cheaper to buy a new player to replace your Pivos.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-03-09, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

If anyone has a Windows 7 PC they've hooked a USB ATSC TV tuner too, and your version of the OS has Windows Media Center included, you can use an Xbox 360 as a Media Extender with it. You can then use the Xbox to watch live ATSC TV, TV shows you've recorded using Windows Media Center, and other pictures and video files and listen to music files you've put in the shared Windows folders. It worked well on my wired 100bT network; you'll probably need a fast wireless network to make it work. This can be handy if you have you're computer in a better spot to catch signals then the TV (TV is in the basement, for example), your TV doesn't have an ATSC tuner but it has a 360 attached to it, it's easier to run cable from an attic antenna to the computer room then the TV room, and or you have enough space on your computer to use it as a PVR. You must leave Windows Media Center running on the PC for this to work, but it can be minimized.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in