Looking for advice and suggestions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-08, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Looking for advice and suggestions

Hi all,

I have had a htpc for about 7 years and have tried almost every flavor over the years. some good some bad and some hard to setup and some easy.

I built the box for mythtv and never really had it setup and running the way i thought it should run, i then setup mythbuntu and ran that for a while, had a hard time setting up the imon lcd 4 to 5 years ago. i then moved to win 7 media center and it worked for about 2 years until the hardware died.

So i bought new hardware for my antec case and was using mythbuntu again and really couldn't be bothered to run through the hoops of getting the imon lcd working, i'm tired and lazy plug and play sounds better as i'm not into tinkering as much as i use too. two kids and a wife with a full time job takes most of my time away.

So i came across openelec, that was plug and play. but it does have it's own issue's like pulling in the actor and movie info. i really big on having all the pictures and synopsis for my movies. so it has bugs as well.

So long story short i'm looking for some advise on a good setup with the hardware i have.

here's my setup, i have a file server running OMV (open media vault), all my movies (meta data and covers are added to movies before copying to OMV) and music are stored here waiting to serve them up to any client in the house.

my main htpc is an antec 430 case with the imon lcd, it's running openelec with xbmc to spice up the gui. it's ok but like i stated earlier actors and synopsis are not being pulled in.

Here's what i miss, fluid xbmc with all the bells and whistles.
As of now i'm leaning to go back to a full install of debian or ubuntu (not sure yet) and installing xbmc (don't think i want the mythbuntu) and then finding the guide to get imon working.

If more info is needed let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-10, 09:41 AM

Try Plex.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-10, 09:51 AM
Veteran

I will second on plex vote.

If you are not doing any of the FANCY stuff, like TV card recording, etc with it.. which you would need something more XMBC based, etc.. and its just for playback... Plex is the simplest and works well.

(though, this will require the PLEX media server software to be installed.. which can be installed on SOME brand NAS's... but could always install on something else, and have it just map drives to the NAS)

The SERVER software, has scrappers which go out and collect the Movie, TV, etc info, and keep in its own database. As long as it finds the right match for the movie, I have never had it not have/get stuff.

From there on playback PC, install Plex Home Theatre. XMBC like nice fluid interface.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-10, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the ideas, too bad plex dose not work on linux.
But yeah i removed both tuner cards as in canada they are not really worth it, so all i really need is a player and scrapper to pull in the data.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-11, 05:49 PM

Plex has Linux downloads for the Plex server side and then you can use other devices to play on TV letting you put the PC somewhere out of the way.

I have a Roku 3 and Sony GTV for connected TV's plus watch on Android phone while commuting on the train. And kids use their iPads.

Plex+Couchpotato+Sickbeard has me covered for everything other than live broadcasts like sports that you don't want to wait for an upload of to watch.

Hitachi 55HDT79, Yamaha RX-V540, Energy RC Mini's, and S8.3 sub, Roku 3, Plex , Couchpotato and Sickbeard Google TV GS8
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-12, 09:43 AM
Veteran

If this box will be running FULL server & player, yeah, wont really work Linux wise.

As Chadsfake said, there is a Linux SERVER side, which does all the scrapping, etc.

But would then require another device for playback.

I have the server set up on my windows server. Then a PC for playback in the basement, and direct into my smart TV upstairs (then streaming as well to the phones, etc)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-12, 05:19 PM
Veteran

Plex server and XBMC on Linux might work. Can't say I've tried it. Myth as a server and XBMC should work. That could be Mythbuntu with XBMC added, XBMCbuntu with Myth added or a minimal Ubuntu with both added. Some experimentation would be required to get the best setup. I would lean toward trying the minimal Ubuntu plus Myth and XBMC solution first.

I gave up on iMon. It's a nice idea on paper but a little too proprietary. If you can get it to work, it's great. These days I use a generic MCE remote.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-13, 01:41 PM

I have not used it but have heard good things running PleXBMC

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:PleXBMC

Hitachi 55HDT79, Yamaha RX-V540, Energy RC Mini's, and S8.3 sub, Roku 3, Plex , Couchpotato and Sickbeard Google TV GS8
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-13, 07:02 PM

you'll probably find much better options using windows rather than linux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in