Miracast and Windows 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2014-02-01, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Miracast and Windows 7

I have a Miracast dongle connected to my Samsung tv.
It is able to connect to it on my Android phone and mirror's it's screen on the tv.
As per the manufacturers instructions I have to enable wifi on the laptop ( Windows 7 , no WiDi) and search for the AP and connect to it with default password provided.

This AP name is displayed on the TV screen, but Windows 7 (Enterprise ) does not find the AP nor can I create a new network and specify the AP name.

My point is how do I get Win 7 to search and find the Access Point ?

btw I got the dongle off ebay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2014-02-02, 07:37 AM

@mvashi: It would be easier to help if you mentioned the make and model of your "Miracast dongle".

Is it connected to your wireless LAN via your wireless router? That's how my Chromecast works, and my Windows 8 laptop has to be connected to the same acccess point as the Chromecast.

To setup the Chromecast, though, it creates its own access point, and you connect to that with your wireless device (Android or Windows). Maybe you don't have to connect directly to the Miracast, just to your WLAN.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2014-02-03, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

It a noname miracast dongle which I bought off ebay. It is connected directly to HDMI port of the TV and is powered by usb power adapter.

Essentially what the dongle does is to create a softAP which is supposed to be detected by a wifi enabled laptop.After the connection is made, the laptop screen is mirrored on the TV.

As I mentioned earlier, my Andriod phone can connect to it but not my Win 7 laptop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in