Alternatives to Slingbox for tv streaming? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-21, 03:48 PM

Do not get a Solo. You're risking long term support with evolving tools. As example, the older Slingcatchers no longer function with current 350/500's.

You're far better off with a current gen slingbox that is still having firmware updates (somewhat regularly) and will be supported at least for the foreseeable future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-21, 08:38 PM

Stick to colinpeddle's advice on getting the 350 (if it supports component in) and especially if you don't care about the built-in ATSC tuner of the Pro-HD. The Pro-HD is a (very) nice rig if you can find it but then again, updates, updates, updates.

Get an HD (or 350) unit for the mid-term, you never know when competitiveness on your IPS' will up your upstream to 5-10 MB and you'll be sorry you didn't invest. As was the case with me, this speed bump happens frequently enough.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-02-03, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone, I did end up getting a 350 after all. If anyone else is looking for one, there's a good deal at the moment, Canadacomputers sells it for $140:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=055166
People reported being able to price match at Futureshop or Bestbuy for extra 10% off the difference also.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-02-04, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

One more question for the 350 owners - can you actually disable the ability for remote account to switch channels? I don't see a setting for that.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-02-04, 12:20 PM

Since the Sling app (desktop or web) is designed to give its user control of a connected box, I hardly see how that can be achieved. You can still:

- disconnect the infrared emitter(s)
- Go to the configuration screen (when logging to the master account) and crock the device configured to a given input.

But I guess doing so would deny access to the local user as well (the same as the master account holder from wherever).

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-02-04, 02:09 PM

The easiest way to prevent the remote account to switch channels if put tin foil over the face of the 350 and not plugin the IR dongle.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 08:38 PM

I had a hava monsoon (the predecessor to the vulkano's) and it was fantastic until it burnt out, and hava refused to deal with it (aka i'm very wary of support from the company)

You can also sometimes find old Sony LocationFree units. they're unsupported now, but rock solid perfomers

i hate slingbox, but there's a reason they're the standard
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-02-06, 07:39 AM

Tikker speaking from experience, the original Slingbox up to the Pro-HD were practically a labor of love. I wouldn't say there isn't room for improvements but for as long as DishNetwork supports the online infrastructure, these do work as advertised.

Now with the latest units, I wonder how log it'll be before Dish\Echostar starts to cripple or dumb down the service considering how hard they (at least up until recently) tried to integrate the brand into the STBs.

So far mine works as advertised on all platforms since 2010.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Guys,

Reviving this old thread a little bit - follow up question: what's the best device in your experience to use as a slingplayer? I read that those slingcatcher devices work best but they're hard to find anymore and are rather pricey.
I'm considering one of these:
- wdtv
- netgear neotv
- sony google box (GS7 or GS8)

From reading slingbox forums, it seems that each has some flaws, and isn't getting any more updates from manufacturer (or slingmedia), all I want it to do is work as intended, change channels (numeric or up/down), aspect ratio, quality settings, that sort of stuff.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
Most of my lockups occurs under the following scenarios.
1. Placeshifting LAVA to LAVA within the same house over wifi.
2. While using the Android app on my phone or tablet, having the screen auto-resize from SD to HD or HD to SD.
3. Someone doesn't log off their placeshifting session nicely.
-
The most success I have is watching FLOW or LAVA from a laptop either within the house or remotely.
I have improved the in-house LAVA to LAVA communications by downgrading the network speed from Gigabit to 100 MBPS using an old switch between the LAVA and my Linksys Gigabit wifi router. I then installed powerline ethernet between floors as the wifi was not consistant enough.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 11:59 AM

In a living room setting where you're looking to emulate as close to a set-top box with your connected slingplayer, a WDTV is the best experience. The WDTV remote actually has a number pad (none of the others do) and tho it may require a reboot once in a while, it's solid otherwise. WDTV offers the best overall experience for channel surfing, using the actual guide on the remote box and PVR functions.

However.

IF it's an infrequently used location that you want to sling to, such as the garage/patio/den TV when the big game is on or you want to watch a little ESPN on Sunday mornings in the kitchen while you make breakfast, I'd suggest a ChromeCast. It's the cheapest yet still solid route to get Sling on your TV.

I wouldn't use a Chromecast in a living room setting where you may just want to channel surf or flip back and forth from one channel to another. Another bonus of the WDTV is that Logitech's harmony remotes can emulate the WDTV remote where as others it cannot because they're bluetooth or wifi solutions that the Harmony does not support.

OH also the slingcatchers are not supported by any of the new Slingboxes such as the 350 and up. Avoid slingcatcher.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-11, 12:42 PM

I have a slingbox 500. I love it. I can catch a game at work without giving the IT guy a stroke due to some questionable popups you get from bootlegged streaming sites. The quality ranges from acceptable to good. It depends on the quality of both your incoming and outgoing connections. I have no problems getting 720p on my Bell fibe 25/10 service streaming to my Galaxy S3 running on LTE. I am especially pleased with this since my slingbox is running over wifi.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-10-17, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Hi colinpeddle, just FYI - I got to play around with one of those Sony google boxes (NSZ-GS7) and the remote for it also has numeric buttons (on the back of the remote), they did work when I tried it.

I was hoping the php website link would work in the chrome browser too but no such luck, it loads the initial screen and doesn't go any further. Still, it's functional and quite fast so that's all I wanted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in