Need massive help deciding between ATV, Roku3, WDTV! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Need massive help deciding between ATV, Roku3, WDTV!

I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I'm looking at getting one of the aforementioned boxes for a family member for Christmas. I want them to be able to primarily access US Netflix, and stream files from their home computer. I'm aware that I'll probably need to set up a DNS for them to access the international content (unblock us seems to be the most popular), but I want it so that after I've set everything all up, there's a minimal amount of messing around they have to do to keep things working.

From the massive amounts of reading that I've been doing, it seems to me the the Roku3 is probably the best option, using DNS services to get US Netflix, and Plex to stream files from their home computer. Will that work fine? Will the computer and the Roku be able to see each other on the network after altering the network settings to get US Netflix? I'm completely new to all the set top boxes, so I was hoping for a little advice from all you experts here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 11:52 AM
Veteran

If the recipient's home computer media content is all in their iTunes library then go with the ATV. If it's not, then the Roku3.

Also, you didn't mention it in your criteria but do they want to rent, purchase movies online? In which case iTunes via the ATV is probably the easiest way to do it in Canada. For the Roku3 you'll need to subscribe to a US service that is compatible with a DNS trick.

Whether or not you use a DNS trick will not effect the boxes ability to see other internal devices/computers.

Bottom line: the decision on which box probably comes down to "iTunes or no iTunes"?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 12:34 PM
Veteran

Although I'm not a huge fan of Apple products the ability to change the DNS on the Apple TV box rather than having to do it on the router, which you would with a Roku, would make me recommend the Apple TV.

Take a look at the setup guide on Unblock Us to get an idea of the configuration requirements

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

They don't use iTunes at all, all the filss are just regular formats!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 01:51 PM
Veteran

What are "regular formats"?

Anyway, I'd tend to agree with the Apple TV recommendation unless you want to play a specific format that the Apple TV doesn't support, which brings me back to the above question.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Yeah, looks like you would need to set the DNS on the router for the Roku.

But I can vote for the simplicity, of the PLEX server back end for file access.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 02:07 PM

on my roku with un-blockus I didn't have to touch my router at all unblockus did it all
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 02:29 PM

Wow I didn't know that about the Roku. I will stick with my ATV 2.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 02:46 PM

I have the Apple TV 2 and Roku3 (actually I have 3 Apple TV's and 2 Roku's) and I would suggest the Roku3 as an overall solution. Reasons for the Roku3:

1. Works with Plex (free), you can access virtually any movie format from your PC/Mac;
2. The Roku 2/3 has hundreds on plug-ins available, the Apple TV has no app store;
3. The Roku3 remote has nice features such as the headphone jack which automatically mutes the TV;
4. No need to use iTunes ( I hate iTunes) to access photo's and music using PLEX.

Reasons for the Apple TV:

1. You can rent movies easily;
2. You can Airplay to the Apple TV.

I used to be a big Windows user, but now have a mac Mini and lots of iPads/iPhones. Plex runs on these platforms as well. It even has an app for my Samsung TV so no media box is even needed!

I use unblock-us at the router level (one time config). I have access to US/British Netflix and I also set up HuluPlus on either box.

Having both, I rarely use my Apple TV's but use my Roku 2/3 every day.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Haha, by 'regular formats' I just mean ones that aren't strictly required by iTunes to stream properly, so all the most common formats/codecs that you see around the interwebs.

But by the sounds of it, Roku is the clear winner anyway. I'm glad that the DNS stuff wont interfere with Plex!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetlabk View Post
on my roku with un-blockus I didn't have to touch my router at all unblockus did it all
So you were able to change your DNS settings on the Roku itself? The setup instructions on Unblock-Us indicate that Roku's do not allow you to change the DNS and so it has to be done on the router.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 03:58 PM

I use the WD TV Live box, very happy with it. For US netflix - just a matter of changing the DNS on the WD TV box manually (no unblock us subscription required).

The WD TV box has been able to play every format I have tried streaming direct from computer or USB. We also ended up taking the WD Box in our RV - to direct play movies via the USB port.

Not sure about the Roku - but we have also used the WD box to stream directly from Android phones via DLNA (Skifka app).
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabell
just a matter of changing the DNS on the WD TV box manually (no unblock us subscription required).
Can you explain how this works? If you're not subscribing to unblock-us, why are you changing the DNS servers from whatever got DHCP'd in the first place?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Yes you can get a US DNS but Unblock-Us and UnoTelly (I think) allow to change the Netflix region so you can access the entire global catalogue as there is a lot of stuff on other countries that are not available on the US or Canadian Netflix.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 04:18 PM

no I didn't have to change anything just installed unblockus and got US netflix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in