Need massive help deciding between ATV, Roku3, WDTV! - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 04:38 PM
Veteran

Installed what, where? Unblock is not something you install on a Roku, you can install an app on your PC but that just changes the DNS on the PC. To configure Unblock-Us on a device you simply change the DNS to their settings, which is something you cannot do on a Roku as it doesn't allow you to change those settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 10:17 PM
Veteran

You have to change it in your router. If you have telus where you cannot change it in their supplied router then you need to add your own router behind it, change the DNS settings in it, and have the roku connect to that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 10:46 PM

audacity - do a google search for US netflix Canada DNS - will show latest batches of working dns. Right now have 109.123.111.24 on my WD box /xbox - give US netflix.

(side note - if using a computer , use Google Chrome and install mediahint entension - enables netflix.com )

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 11:52 PM
Rookie

If you aren’t going the iTunes route then go the WDTV Live - all you have to do is share the Media or Windows drive on the network and the WDTV will pick it up - it works beautifully with no other software involved.

I have the Apple TV with iTunes and WDTV Live with my Linux and Windows machines - they all work flawlessly!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 09:28 AM

Serviio I have found to be a nice addition for my media sharing, sometimes WMP would be slow in picking up new files. Serviio is a nice add on to choose the type of media and how it shows - can be by name, folder, director, year, etc, etc.

The WDTV live can be a little slow to respond to the remote sometimes but overall I am very happy with this device. Recent firmware update added a bunch more apps as well for music, news, tv, music as well - some subscription, some free.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 10:10 AM
Veteran

Its all in personal preference, on how you want to view, read, etc the media.

I originally had just a WMP serving DLNA to my TV, as it supported it. But reading the file name when long ones, and the above of picking up new files into the library I did find a little slow.

Plex, I like as it adds that little more than DLNA, proving the synopsis, etc as well for things. Very quick in picking up new media, literally as soon as you change the contents of one of its monitored folder it will re-scan.

But to each their own.. all depends on how you want to access your media

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 10:58 AM

One thing that put me off Roku is the lack of a Youtube app. No doubt there is some way around it but I like things with out-of-the-box functionality. I often watch concerts or old TV shows on Youtube so this was a must for me.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 12:05 PM

roku is installing youtube on all models early in the new year
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 01:43 PM

I have a variety of devices including ATV2-JB, ATV3, Roku 2 SX, Roku 3, and PS3, all connected by Ethernet, not wifi.

If you have other Apple devices or plan on travelling with the device, I recommend the ATV. I thought my wife would like the simpler Roku interface. It turns out that she likes the ATV interface because it is so familiar to her because she uses her iPad a lot.

The reason for the travel comment is the ability to change the ATV's DNS for use with a service like unblock-us. We take an ATV with us when we travel so that we can have Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. wherever we are. Because the Roku's DNS cannot be set, it is not useful for us travelling.

On the other hand, I find that we have to reset our ATVs far more frequently than our Rokus. When our Roku has problems, it tends to reset itself. This can be disconcerting if watching a program, but it works without user intervention.

Our ATVs either work or don't work. When they don't work, we have to do a manual reset using the remote control. That happens often enough to make it irritating.

Also, it seems that with updates, we have to log in again with the ATVs more frequently than how often we have to log in with the Rokus. It doesn't bother me, but it a major irritant for my wife.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 06:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG44 View Post
One thing that put me off Roku is the lack of a Youtube app. No doubt there is some way around it but I like things with out-of-the-box functionality. I often watch concerts or old TV shows on Youtube so this was a must for me.
It got the official YouTube app this week. Mine updated on Tuesday or Wednesday I believe. It works fine and you can cast to it similar to the Chromecast.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 12:00 PM

I've got 2 ATV, and 2 Rokus (a roku1, and a roku2)

the ATV gather dust, and the rokus get used daily

Plex is enough of a reason on it's own to get the Roku
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-24, 09:46 PM

I have a roku2 xd that my 4 year old uses every day. It has Plex, Netflix, Hulu, and Letmewatchthis installed. I also have an ATV520E with XBMC, 1channel, Free cable, Ice films, and Sports Devil Add ons. I can watch almost every show ever made, and almost every live sports broadcast there is! The Roku is Easy to use right out of the box, and super quick and smooth. With the Ease of the ATV I haven't been on my PC in a month. I am writing this post from my android browser on the ATV!
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-28, 05:51 PM

For those interested, this can be the missing piece to help decide what to buy
http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/28/r...roku-3-rooted/
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christpuncher View Post
I have a roku2 xd that my 4 year old uses every day. It has Plex, Netflix, Hulu, and Letmewatchthis installed. I also have an ATV520E with XBMC, 1channel, Free cable, Ice films, and Sports Devil Add ons. I can watch almost every show ever made, and almost every live sports broadcast there is! The Roku is Easy to use right out of the box, and super quick and smooth. With the Ease of the ATV I haven't been on my PC in a month. I am writing this post from my android browser on the ATV!
I'm having trouble finding a working Plex plugin of Letmewatchthis,a link would be appreciated if you know of one for roku.
Thank You!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-01-15, 10:27 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in