Windows 7 and output to receiver - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-12-10, 09:21 AM

Install GraphEdit and drag-n-drop the media file into the window. It will build a (default) graph that Windows Media Player will be using for playback.
Do you see AC3Filter in it? If not, it is not configured properly. Do you see the AC3Filter service starting when using MPC?
Did you check the "Prefer AC3Filter" box on the System tab?

Around the time AC3Filter was at version 1.01/1.05, some configurations would just refuse to work. Try another version...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-12-10, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
the receiver is stuck saying "PCM 96" on the display and plays STEREO
This is a limitation of PCM over S/PDIF. It does not have enough bandwidth to carry 96 bit signals with more than 2 channels. It may need to be converted to a 48 bit stream by AC3Filter and/or output as a DD or DTS bitstream.

Not sure what the program source is. If it's Blu-ray, the only way to get full multichannel Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD output is over HDMI using bitstream. Conventional DD or DTS must be used for S/PDIF. If its available, DTS will often sound better (depending on how it's encoded.) Most Blu-ray disc include a DTS and/or DD stream.

As mentioned by four, GraphEdit is a good diagnostic tool. Note that AC3Filter need not be used all the time. It's only needed when a another suitable codec is not available. If the use of AC3Filter is preferred, check the "Prefer AC3Filter" under "Filter Merit" in the AC3Filter options. (See graphic above.)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-12-10, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Success is near. I had to do a couple things with Windows and AC3filter to get rid of the PCM 96 based on the above post. You need to go into "Playback Devices" and turn off 96 kHz under Supported Formats AND set the Advanced tab to 24 bit 48 kHz. You also need to set the PCM in AC3Filter to 24 bit 48 kHz.

I now have full access to all of the processors available on the AV receiver. It isn't 100% correct as the Level is too low which is making the amplifiers run hot. I also have to figure out the correct processor to use so that I'm not compounding the upmixing to 7.0 twice but I'm definitely close.

Another issue I'm starting to notice is that the volume level is actually fluttering after a few minutes of play and isn't constant anymore.

Steve

Last edited by Stevemo; 2013-12-10 at 10:50 PM. Reason: changed 24 kHz to 24 bit 48 kHz

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Okay,
In the end I am not really going to use AC3Filter for anything other than the AC3 and DTS passthrough. AC3filter makes the audio get clipped when you upmix and then you have to turn down the gain in the software which means running your amplifiers harder. AC3filter is probably better at upmixing than my receiver but there's not much I can do about it.
The main point of this thread is to set your windows output to 24-bit 48 kHz if you want to be able to get more than 2-channels sent to your receiver/processor.
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in