Xbox One no longer supported as Media Center extender - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Xbox One no longer supported as Media Center extender

Now that the Xbox One is out, and it appears that Microsoft will no longer be supporting the "extender" capability that its predecessor console had for Media Center, I wonder what the future roadmap is for people like myself who currently use Windows 7 + Xbox360.

Sure, I can continue to use my Win7 + Xbox360 as long as they can last, but then what? I really enjoy getting free OTA + PVR that my setup has. The Xbox One might let me watch TV, but I'm not sure how it can support OTA, and it has no TV recording.

Is anyone else here is in the same boat, what are you planning to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Easy. I'm not going to buy a Xbox One until it does a better job of TV support. And by TV I don't want to take a step backwards - and lets face it, cable boxes are a step backwards from WMC - I'm only interested in solutions that are as good or better than what I have now.

On the Xbox One, I think the best hope is that Microsoft opens up development of apps to 3rd parties. That way we'll get people making "extender software" for each HTPC platform. This would be ideal because it would give the Xbox One owner choice about what they want as a back-end HTPC software solution. There could be front-end apps for things like Media Portal, NPVR, MythTV, etc.

I'm actually surprised that Microsoft hasn't provided more information on this front post-XBOX One release. They have a Windows-based platform that have a lot of developers who are already familiar with it. The Metro-UI uses a class library that is very similar (from the developer point-of-view) to what .NET devs have been using for years. So, if they were to open it up, writing a client app would be easy for media center developers who already write their core product in .NET. At least, it would be much easier for them when compared to the alternatives, like writing a Roku app or a PS4 app.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 02:30 PM

In Windows 8, Media Center is available for download (with a small fee). I don't know why they wouldn't do the same for the xbox extender software...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 02:38 PM
Veteran

Because they haven't actually written said software for the Xbox One.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

It's not clear if Microsoft has any desire to open its Media Center to 3rd party development. I suspect it is a long shot, not likely to come true any time soon. They are trying to shape the living room experience with the Xbox One. I agree that going with cable boxes is a step backwards, especially since I enjoy FREE HD TV over-the-air.

Microsoft has not made it clear how I can integrate my OTA setup with Xbox One.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 07:30 PM

Good to know, guess I'll stick with my XBOX 360's as extenders. Better yet they're only $129 today.

Bill
My blog
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Yeah, if you want to only run an extender then X360 is the only option. X1 apparently supports WMC as a source selection under STB setup. I haven't tried this yet but I am planning on trying it out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 02:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Easy. I'm not going to buy a Xbox One until it does a better job of TV support. And by TV I don't want to take a step backwards - and lets face it, cable boxes are a step backwards from WMC - I'm only interested in solutions that are as good or better than what I have now.
Cable boxes are a step backward but so is OTA since it only gives you a limited set of channels. The best case scenario would be for CableCards to have been used here in Canada but then that wouldn't help with an XBONE and Win MCE gets no love from MS these days anyhow, and that is especially the case for Canada.

Quote:
On the Xbox One, I think the best hope is that Microsoft opens up development of apps to 3rd parties. That way we'll get people making "extender software" for each HTPC platform. This would be ideal because it would give the Xbox One owner choice about what they want as a back-end HTPC software solution. There could be front-end apps for things like Media Portal, NPVR, MythTV, etc.
And don't forget Plex as well. It seems that porting Win8 apps to XBONE is a piece of cake so MS should let this happen with HTPC apps and for Extender capabilities - the mythical softsled that Win MCE users have been waiting sof since XP MCE was released.

When it comes to getting an OTA signal to an XBONE the best solution might be DLNA. Does the XBONE currently have DLNA capability? If so you could use a HDHR as your tuner. The UI is unlikely to be attractive but it should work.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungymegajeff View Post
It's not clear if Microsoft has any desire to open its Media Center to 3rd party development. I suspect it is a long shot, not likely to come true any time soon
If you mean "Windows Media Center" when you say Media Center, it already happened years ago.

If you mean the Xbox One, Microsoft executives have stated that the goal is for the Windows VM on the Xbox One to support Metro apps. It just hasn't happened yet, and I'm not going to buy hardware based on promises.

But if it does happen, the Xbox One will be very compelling.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If you mean "Windows Media Center" when you say Media Center, it already happened years ago.
Opened up in what ways? I would think that what he means is allowing someone to write a software client for Win MCE. As far as I know this has never been done but there have been rumours that MS has been sitting on this for years without releasing it. That is what is known as softsled. Why not let a third party write such a system that can fully hook into MCE.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 04:37 PM
Veteran

Well, it's open in the sense that you can write 3rd party plugins for WMC. Stuff like Media Browser or Recorded TV HD (I use that one) where they added features like drive pooling to WMC.

Unfortunately, allowing 3rd parties to write client software wasn't in the cards. But WMC was more open than, say, BeyondTV was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in